Adding songs to my S3

juniorgolf18

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I've been focusing on getting my S3 business ready and now I'm ready to add music and audio files to my S3....

How do I go about doing that???

nyry

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
You can use Kies (guess you can call it samsung's verizon of "itunes") its an app that is already on your phone stock and you can use it toconnect to your computer over wifi and drag and drop songs on to your phone's memory.
OR
You can plug in your phone and Download the desktop version of Kies and do it that way.
OR
you can just plug your phone in and drag and drop the song files (if you know where they are on your computer) right onto the SD card in your phone. I would recommend making a folder called "music" first though.
OR
you can upload your music from your computer to google music. Simply download the google music app to your desktop, show it where your music is, and it will upload it to the cloud for you. You can then use googles "Google play music" app availible in the play store and you can stream you music straight from the cloud. the app also gives you the option of saving your music to your phone,too.

Hope this helps!

juniorgolf18

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
You can use Kies (guess you can call it samsung's verizon of "itunes") its an app that is already on your phone stock and you can use it toconnect to your computer over wifi and drag and drop songs on to your phone's memory.
OR
You can plug in your phone and Download the desktop version of Kies and do it that way.
OR
you can just plug your phone in and drag and drop the song files (if you know where they are on your computer) right onto the SD card in your phone. I would recommend making a folder called "music" first though.
OR
you can upload your music from your computer to google music. Simply download the google music app to your desktop, show it where your music is, and it will upload it to the cloud for you. You can then use googles "Google play music" app availible in the play store and you can stream you music straight from the cloud. the app also gives you the option of saving your music to your phone,too.

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much. I actually played with it last night and plugged in my phone to computer via usb and it installed something and asked what to use - I picked Windows Media Player and all songs in my "music" folder on my computer were in Windows Media Player and I could just drag them over to the right of the window and sync.

Now a question is - on my phone there is a bluish icon called "Music Player" and there is another one that has headphones for the icon called "Play Music"... inside the "Music Player" app, I was able to create a playlist and move all my audios I synced into that playlist and works good. Now after reading your post I've went into the "Play Music" app and its got playlists, albums, etc across the top like Google Play store... AND all my audios are there as well as playlists and I can click and play them there also.... So, is that playing them from the phone or streaming them or what is the difference in using the two apps?

juniorgolf18

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Update: I can actually go into Google Play Store, click on music, then hit the menu button and hit "My Music" and all my songs I moved over to my phone last night are there.... Did I somehow upload them to the cloud?? I don't want to stream them - I just want them on my phone like itunes was on my iphone...

nyry

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Update: I can actually go into Google Play Store, click on music, then hit the menu button and hit "My Music" and all my songs I moved over to my phone last night are there.... Did I somehow upload them to the cloud?? I don't want to stream them - I just want them on my phone like itunes was on my iphone...

Yes. And then you have the option of saving your music to your phone if you press the menu button inside the app, there should be an option to choose music on your device :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

juniorgolf18

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Yes. And then you have the option of saving your music to your phone if you press the menu button inside the app, there should be an option to choose music on your device :)

So I added music via usb, they are in the stock music player (stored on phone) and also when I open up Play Music they are there... but if I play them there they are streaming?? Only if I add them to device? Aren't they already on my device if I can play on stock music...so will they then be stored twice on my device taking up 2x storage..?

nyry

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
So I added music via usb, they are in the stock music player (stored on phone) and also when I open up Play Music they are there... but if I play them there they are streaming?? Only if I add them to device? Aren't they already on my device if I can play on stock music...so will they then be stored twice on my device taking up 2x storage..?

OHH Sorry I misunderstood. I thought you said you uploaded them to Google Music!
No, if you put the music on your phones memory (SD Card) Like you did, you're not streaming it. And no, how it works is both apps simply scan your phone for any playable music files and then add them to the list you see in the apps called "songs"
Basically both apps are getting the same music from the same place and it's not taking up twice as much space :)

juniorgolf18

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
OHH Sorry I misunderstood. I thought you said you uploaded them to Google Music!
No, if you put the music on your phones memory (SD Card) Like you did, you're not streaming it. And no, how it works is both apps simply scan your phone for any playable music files and then add them to the list you see in the apps called "songs"
Basically both apps are getting the same music from the same place and it's not taking up twice as much space :)

Oh ok,...whew. That's good. So if I add that way I can just basically choose which player i like best...? I suppose i have the option of uploading those songs/audios to the Google play music cloud if I choose...

nyry

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Oh ok,...whew. That's good. So if I add that way I can just basically choose which player i like best...? I suppose i have the option of uploading those songs/audios to the Google play music cloud if I choose...

Yes of course and that is the beauty of Android! You can choose whichever option you like best :) there are a few different music players on the Google Play Store if you would like to try some out. And yes you always have the option of uploading your songs to Google play music as well but if you're going to go that route, just know that you can only use those uploaded songs with Google own music player app as opposed to virtually every other app on the play Store, which usually reads what songs you already have on your phone

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Not sure why some made this out to be so much more complicated than it needed to be. From your post I could understand that you just want to put your music on the phone's sdcard or the external sdcard. The Galaxy S3 has files and folders just like a full sized desktop or laptop. When you plug your phone into the computer via USB you should have the option to view files and folders. From there you just need to decide if you want your music on your phones memory or on the external sdcard. Create a "Music" folder where ever you want the music to be and drag and drop. It's that simple...

Then you can decide which music player you want to use to listen to your music. I have used quite a few including the stock one that came with the phone. I prefer to use PlayerPro, it allows me to view my music in "folder" view which is nice because I prefer to keep my music organized with different folders. PowerAmp is probably more popular than PlayerPro and is also an awesome music player. You really can't go wrong with either. Download the free version of each and when you figure out which one you like then purchase the full version, if your really into music it's a must have to have a good paid music player.

Beauty of Android over Iphone you don't need any programs to "sync" stuff to your phone, you just plug it up to your computer and drag and drop what ever files you want. Super simple and easy.

Matt Nethery

juniorgolf18

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Not sure why some made this out to be so much more complicated than it needed to be. From your post I could understand that you just want to put your music on the phone's sdcard or the external sdcard. The Galaxy S3 has files and folders just like a full sized desktop or laptop. When you plug your phone into the computer via USB you should have the option to view files and folders. From there you just need to decide if you want your music on your phones memory or on the external sdcard. Create a "Music" folder where ever you want the music to be and drag and drop. It's that simple...

Then you can decide which music player you want to use to listen to your music. I have used quite a few including the stock one that came with the phone. I prefer to use PlayerPro, it allows me to view my music in "folder" view which is nice because I prefer to keep my music organized with different folders. PowerAmp is probably more popular than PlayerPro and is also an awesome music player. You really can't go wrong with either. Download the free version of each and when you figure out which one you like then purchase the full version, if your really into music it's a must have to have a good paid music player.

Beauty of Android over Iphone you don't need any programs to "sync" stuff to your phone, you just plug it up to your computer and drag and drop what ever files you want. Super simple and easy.

Matt Nethery

wow.. THANKS

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
And to piggyback on the last post, if you already have playlists in a music player on your computer, i.e. iTunes, Windows Media players, etc.... you can export the playlist file and drag and drop it to the same folder where you stored your music on your phone and the music player will organize your playlists according to that file. Pretty easy process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMY2024