Ads, how do they get on your system?

louiswho

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
Bought S7 Galaxy Edge right before Christmas, from BestBuy, Verizon, no adds. Last week downloaded 'File Manager', free one. Adds started appearing, so I uninstalled it. Even more adds now, especially when I first pick up and unlock the phone. If I uninstalled the app, where are they coming from now? Malwarebytes finds nothing...nightly updates?

Did file manager somehow activate other (hidden ?) apps on my phone, did it somehow attached things to other apps, did it open some hidden doors, etc., etc.?
Is there a way of examining my apps to see dates modified. Is there a setting somewhere on my phone to reduce\eliminate ads. Working on Xamarin App for Android, did allowing development on phone create opening for ads? I note that when I place the phone on the Samsung Fast Charger (that came with the phone), an add pops up. Fairly new to Android.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Chances are that something else got installed along with that File Manager app. There are a number of apps that are associated with those annoying lockscreen or charging screen ads. Look through your entire Settings>Apps list -- is anything there suspicious?

Do you have anything from Cheetah Mobile or DU Apps installed? Apps from them are notorious for this kind of junk. Other apps that I recall off the top of my head include Flash Keyboard, ES File Explorer, and Touchpal Keyboard.

louiswho

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
Under Application Manager, I see nothing that starts with cheetah or any of the names mentioned above. Am I looking at this correctly, what I am seeing is the App name, where do you check to see who the developer\manufacturer is? Is there a way to get detailed info on every app installed (shows company name, date installed on my device, etc.)? Is there a way to list every app installed, so that I could attach that list here? Is there a list on line (if you see this app name), delete it?

louiswho

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
Every time I put the phone down, on the Samsung 'Fast Charge' charger, or pick up the phone, the adds show. Does anyone else have this happening?. There is a direct correlation here.

louiswho

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
Did some online research, there appears to be many Apps that can cause my particular problem...http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...-screen-annoying-ads-just-appeared-gn4-7.html. I just picked up the phone from the charger, got the additional add\lock screen, clicked on the menu, and selected to turn off "Speed Charge". Tested this a number of times (putting the phone on, and taking it off, the charger), and the ad and second lock screen have not appeared. We will see if this continues. Not sure yet if this means that it will take much longer to keep my phone charged to 100%.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Although it may be tedious, it might help to see a list of all of your installed apps. Someone might recognize one as the culprit.

Apps won't always have the developer name in their title. The easiest way to see the developer name is on the Play Store page for that app.

louiswho

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
I found this online...https://gist.github.com/davidnunez/1404789. On my Windows 10 desktop, (after attached the S7 edge by cable), I opened an admin command window, and did this..."adb shell pm list packages -f > app.txt". I had previously installed adb. I can paste it here, but it is easily a couple of pages long, is there a way to attach files here?

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edneil1967