After a year in, which extended batteries are worth considering?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm well familiar with charging practices, and would actually argue 75% charge max is optimal for overall longevity, but then you need more frequent charging and add wear and tear to the connections. So I often say 80% as an upper limit when balancing longevity with other factors.

And yes, LG may be trying to protect us from ourselves but I think they are overbearing. Their phones start to throttle at 90°F, which is nothing for a battery. 105-110°F would be more appropriate in my opinion.

tickerguy

Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm well familiar with charging practices, and would actually argue 75% charge max is optimal for overall longevity, but then you need more frequent charging and add wear and tear to the connections. So I often say 80% as an upper limit when balancing longevity with other factors.

And yes, LG may be trying to protect us from ourselves but I think they are overbearing. Their phones start to throttle at 90°F, which is nothing for a battery. 105-110°F would be more appropriate in my opinion.
Well, remember that the sensor is in one place and may not be the hottest.

I do agree that the throttling is a bit aggressive, and the max rate they allow on QC3.0 is not as high as others either. I've not seen over ~2kmah, but I've seen rates exceeding 3kmah on other QC3.0 devices. I have an "inline" USB charge monitor (very cool little device) and the V20 is negotiating properly -- it just is way less aggressive than others.

Whether that will ultimately translate into better battery life is an open question.

What I'd like is for someone to make a 6kmah power cell (there are a few) with a rational sized back door. The cell itself is available and is basically double the height of the stock battery (since it's double the capacity) but all the back door kits I've seen are ridiculously thick compared against that. One that was dual-layer (metal + some sort of decently-grippy material) that acted effectively as an Incipio DualPro case would only add a couple of mm to the phone's depth and would be an EXTREMELY nice combination. Sadly all the aftermarket setups I've seen leave a lot to be desired in the back door area.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d