After updating phone wi-fi connections will shutdown

dragonlx

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
After updating my SG3 from SCH-I535-MF1 to - ML1 whenever I try to connect to wi-fi there is a message appears in the wi-fi settings that the quality of the wi-fi connection is being checked. Then, unless, I shut off my Mobile data connection, wi-fi will shut down with the message that the connection is too slow. This seems to happen no matter what wi-fi I try to connect to. Is there any way to shut this feature off? Thanks!

Posted via Android Central App

tbeckstead

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
* * To resolve the wifi problem with the Samsung Galaxy S3 you have to do the following: 1. From your telephone dialer enter: "*#0011#" without quotes to enter service mode. 2. Press settings button 3.Select WIFI 4. Turn off Wifi Power save mode. 5 Exit Service mode 6 Select Settings 7 Wifi 8 Advanced settings 9 Keep wifi on during sleep 10 Always Hope this helps!

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Why do that through the dialer? #0011# doesn't work anyway.
Just do it through
Settings
Wifi
Menu
Advanced

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Having the same problem, network too slow and disconnecting Wi-Fi. I tried the dialer code, but it didn't do anything. I went into the regular settings and don't have options to keep Wi-Fi on during sleep or a Wi-Fi power save mode. There was a general power save mode in the regular settings but was already off. I did have an option in the Wi-Fi advanced settings for auto network switch between Wi-Fi and cell data. I turned it of and will see what happens.

Would being a Verizon S3 have anything to do with missing those other settings? Any other ideas on the problem at hand too?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
don't have options to keep Wi-Fi on during sleep
That's in the Advanced settings
Would being a Verizon S3 have anything to do with missing those other settings?
Yep - Verizon phones don't support the use of the various dialer codes that you'll see mentioned.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Not on ours apparently.
tyqu6a8a.jpg
You are in Settings -> Connections -> Wi-Fi -> press the Menu button -> select Advanced, right? This is from a Verizon S3 running 4.3.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
You are in Settings -> Connections -> Wi-Fi -> press the Menu button -> select Advanced, right? This is from a Verizon S3 running 4.3.
It just got the 4.3 update, but I was going settings > Wi-Fi > advanced settings. I'll have to look when I'm back home if there's connections option in the main settings menu I missed, because I saw nothing like your screen shot. It's my mate's phone and I'm away a week at a time, so it'll be a while.

Turning the auto network switching off seems to work for now. It gives her a notice, but remains connected. She wishes she could turn down these OS updates because it always causes more problems than it fixes. She had no issues until this, which annoyed her by moving things around and causing glitches.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'll have to look when I'm back home if there's connections option in the main settings menu I missed
Connections is simply the tab name that Wi-Fi shows up under if you have the tab view shown (as opposed to the list view, which may be the default)
emy9eny6.jpg

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'll have to double check when I get back home. But assuming I'm in that same advanced Wi-Fi menu as what was mentioned earlier, our S3 settings menu is screwed up from the update too.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
our S3 settings menu is screwed up from the update too.
Anything is possible - some other user still had the 4.1.2 Contacts app after updating to 4.3.

You can either use the Kies v3 software to reload the 4.3 firmware or use Odin and the firmware from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2589314 to reload it. Of course, backup anything important before doing either one.

David Berry2

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
Using a S3 after Verizon update. Changing advanced settings and sleep does not work. Before update phone would draw from known wifi automatically. After update it finds my wifi "too slow" and diverts to mobile data. The only way I've found to work around it is to turn off mobile data when in range of wifi. Total bull ****.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Turning off the auto network switch in the Wi-Fi advanced options seems to be working. It shows the too slow notification, but no longer switches itself to mobile data.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Captain Fluellen