Amazon Kindle App Crashing

Matt Wilks

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Anyone having issues with the Kindle app? When I try to open it, it starts to load and then just pushes me back to the home screen. I've rooted my device and removed and reinstalled, but no luck. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted via Android Central App

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
As a general rule, if an app starts crashing, the first thing to try is going into application manager and clearing the cache for that app, then force stopping the app and restarting it. If that fails, repeat, but this time clear data instead of cache.

rfcunnin

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I had this very same issue with my Kindle app. Check to see if you have "Force GPU Rendering" on in the Advanced section of the Developer Options. I unchecked that and reinstalled the app. Everything worked great afterwards. Hope this helps!

Karin Williams

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same issue with Kindle app crashing. It worked fine up until yesterday. I've tried everything that was suggested so far. Anyone have additional advice? Thanks!

TheoStauffer

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem on my HTC One (Android 4.1.2 with Sense 5). App was starting, then crashing back to home screen. I tried killing it and deleting all its data, uninstalling and reinstalling, all to no avail. What did help is that I remebered it working before I installed the ifixit.com app. I uninstalled the ifixit app, and the Kindle app was fine after that. I suspect that, although they're supposed to be sandboxed, i.e. each running within its own memory space, that the apps somehow conflict one another. I suspect this could be the case with other people and other apps as well: uninstall all that you installed before the Kindle app stopped working and it might work again.

MarkMessinger

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Keep the suggestions coming, since none of these have worked.

Mine is an HTC One where the Kindle app (4.2.0.34) was working great until last week. When the OTA update to Android 4.3 was applied to my unrooted Developer Edition phone, the Kindle app stopped working.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled it. Forced the app to stop and wiped it's data and cache. Turned off the Developer features (the app started crashing immediately after the update to Android 4.3, before I had even enabled the Developer features). My Force GPU rendering is set to "off".

Thanks for any more suggestions.

MarkMessinger

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I got it.

Mine is the HTC One Developer Edition. Android 4.3.

I discovered, if I turn off the Developer settings, then reboot the phone, the Developer settings are automatically turned back on.

With that background, here are the steps I performed, which got the Kindle app running on my phone:

1. On the Amazon website, I made sure my phone was deregistered.

2. I removed any Kindle app from the phone.

3. I turned the Developer settings off.

4. I restarted the phone.

5. Turned the Developer settings off, again.

6. Reinstalled the Kindle app, from the Google Play Store.

7. The app ran correctly and I was able to register the phone, at which point my library synced as normal. I confirmed I can open and navigate books. When I close them, the app correctly syncs my farthest location.

8. I closed the app and found I could turn the Developer settings back on and the Kindle app runs fine.

Alice Schumm

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Thank you to Sue Rai and Mark...
Apparently, the "Trick" is to disable the Developer options... I didn't need to do Mark's detailed steps, but I did add it to my Favorites in case, the issue rears its ugly head again.

Thank you both... This problem has been annoying, to say the least!
I had installed a zillion apps which could have caused the problem, so the "Developer Options" is a great find, saving me a lot of work.

Thanks again.

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I have Developer options off on both my HTC One and Nexus 7 and the app crashes constantly. It began with the last update and I think there is a bug in it.

Mike Silverfox

Apr 13, 2016
Visit site
The thing is the App should work irrespective of Developer Options settings

I have multiple other apps on my phone all work fine with Developer options enabled. Some from corporate app stores require Developer Options to be enabled - so turning them off is not really an option.

Amazon need to pull their fingers out and sort this problem once and for all

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thewhitecarno