Android 12 Lock Clock

Cherenkov

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
If like me you're not a fan of the huge, two over two character clock on the lock screen - This clock only displays if there are no notifications. As long as you have a persistent notification (many apps do this, like weather or calendar apps) the huge lock screen clock doesn't show and instead you just see the time in the top left corner. I found a nice app called 'Notification Maker' which lets you create your own custom notifications as well. Not sponsored and I haven't tested it thoroughly, just an example.
The trick is, if you use Do Not Disturb, you have to allow that app through Do Not Disturb (its in the settings for Do Not Disturb to choose which apps are allowed), otherwise it won't be displayed while DND is on and the big central clock comes back until DND is turned off again.

Maybe this will help someone until Google gives us options to customize this ourselves. Seems they took away quite a lot of customization with this version.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I hate this new clock, plus the buttons for entering my numeric unlock code are insanely large. I'm 63 years old and my eyesight isn't what it was, but this stuff is so large it looks like a phone made for the blind.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
They did take away quite a bit of customization options...dumbed it down for some reason :-\ I guess they think we're idiots :eek: , or they want to be more like Apple :eek: :eek:

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Somehow, I changed my lockscreen from using those large numbers to this, but honestly I'm not sure how.
4Jalwy8.jpg

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
The old lock screen in now back with the large numbers, but only at certain times. It appears the lock screen is rotating between the one shown and the one with large numbers. I do not understand why this is happening but I'm beginning Google, to get this OS out on the same schedule for their new phone released a OS that is still not ready.
I sure hope Samsung fixes these problems in their new UI cause I wish to remain with Android, and just drop the Pixel I have and totally forget the new Pixel....

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
The old lock screen in now back with the large numbers, but only at certain times. It appears the lock screen is rotating between the one shown and the one with large numbers. I do not understand why this is happening but I'm beginning Google, to get this OS out on the same schedule for their new phone released a OS that is still not ready.
I sure hope Samsung fixes these problems in their new UI cause I wish to remain with Android, and just drop the Pixel I have and totally forget the new Pixel....

When you have a notification icon on your lock screen, like your printer icon, the big numbers go away to make room. You didn't change any settings, it's perfectly normal ;)

Cherenkov

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Right. That's why I suggest a persist notification. It's literally the smallest bit better than nothing. But at least it keeps the phone from looking like a child's toy with huge numbers in the center.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
When you have a notification icon on your lock screen, like your printer icon, the big numbers go away to make room. You didn't change any settings, it's perfectly normal ;)

WRONG! First that is NOT a printer icon!

Second here are two examples of two different lock screens less than a minute apart.
The first one shows the larger lock screen numbers and the second one (shown as a minute apart; however, actually less than half a minute) shows an email icon. HOWEVER, that email was received a good four or five minutes before the first lock screen. Therefore, by your reasoning, both lock screens should have been small numbers with the mail icon.

Not saying if what you are saying is right or wrong,I don't know, just is if it is correct, then it is a bug.

oerU5kI.jpg

fVF4DDn.jpg

As I stated in another thread I have had android phones since the first Droid came out and never have I had a OS update as buggy as this one.

I have had problem with bluetooth on two different devices, but not all devices,

"Can't update visual voicemail...." message

A few other ones.

I understand this crap can happen with any software update, but tired of reading this is a "stable" OS release. It is not for some of us.

I also understand that some of the things I have noted such as those stupid day/date in the upper left corner that cannot be removed, might be just a design that was added as well as those stupid large lock screen numbers, so I would not classify those as bugs but just someone's idea of a bad joke. If someone at google thought these fantastic so be it, but they should have given the user some leeway to change back or delete items.

I am not going to report any more bugs, in fact I may never report anymore damn things on this forum since it appears there are more people who assume android can do no harm than there are iphone zombies.

I can only hope that Samsung in their 4.0 release will fix these problems for their phones so that next year, I can dump the 4XL and get a S22 and remain with Android, or the other possibility is to make a big jump to the other smart phone company that all, for some reason, seem to hate. Or maybe, google will own up and read and discover there are problems and fix them.

I'm frigging done! Glad I still have a satellite phone to use if needed.

Cherenkov

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Hmm.. yeah that's not how it's supposed to work. That's not how mine behaves at all. If It's got a notification, the notification is a bar across the full screen (not a tiny icon) and it keeps the clock to the top left.

Thomas Tommy

Nov 29, 2017
Visit site
OMG! I just upgraded to a Pixel 5a from a Pixel 2 XL. Oh that vertical clock sucks. Not only am I bad at reading a clock that's both horizontal+vertical, that 0 in front of the time is atrocious. Who really enjoys looking at a clock that reads 09 o'clock!? Military? Wasted cluttered space for that 0 in front.

My suggestion, keep the clock LARGE, but put the whole thing sideways. Let's be logical here, you got a 16:9 wide display, use it. I could easily read a sideways clock compared to one that has a ZERO in front and split to the next line down. This way you'll still have that visual notification at a distance. Or just make it large across the whole vertical screen, which would be even larger than android 11 was.

And for me, my 2 cents, keeping a notification always on the screen is not an option. You may as well consider the notification function null at that point. I'm one for keeping a clean phone and notifications down to a minimum. I only want to see important notifications, not break the feature entirely.