Android 5 - Removing Factory Installed Apps - including Google?

Frank_B#AC

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I rooted my Samsung SM-T805W 10" tablet yesterday out of necessity. It only has 16 GB base memory, and they stopped updating it at Android 5.0.2.

I now want to remove a lot of the factory installed apps that I don't use as I am often running into problems where there is not enough memory to do updates. I have two questions with regard to removing factory installed apps:

1) Can I safely remove a lot of the factory installed Google apps (Google Music, Books, Newsstand, Movies, Hangouts) and not upset any other Google apps that I do use, like Maps, GMail, and so on?

2) Before rooting, I could disable many factory installed apps, like Acrobat, but the only option was to roll them back to the factory installed default. I use Acrobat, and want to keep it, so I keep it updated. However, when it updates, do I assume correctly that the update is a totally duplicate copy of the factory installed default, and I basically have TWO copies of Acrobat installed? If so, I am going to delete a whole lotta factory default apps, and then just install the current version.

On this tablet, I need to squeeze out as much space as I can. It only has 16 GB system memory. All apps must install in system memory, and many apps don't allow moving to the SD card (which, BTW, actually increases the total memory footprint of most apps as SOME of the app has to remain in system anyway, gaining little in system space).

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Frank.

------------------------------------------------------
Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Moved from the Android Apps forum to the Tab S 10.5 forum, since the former is intended more for devs to promote their apps.

Frank_B#AC

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
This has to be one of the most confusing websites / forums that I have ever had to navigate. The old forum software was much better.

Frank.