Android Antivirus for HTC One (M8)?

Axefire

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
I've seen that thrown around and it's ridiculous. For one, the 5 minute thing was about the Blaster Worm virus for an unpatched version of Windows XP that was intentionally targeted. Unless you're running Windows XP with absolutely NO updates and NO service packs while intentionally sending a virus in the direction of your computer, you're fine. If that statistic were true, my three main computers would each have over 12 million infections on them from the last 2 years of running without antivirus, when they have no infections whatsoever. There might be merit to a study about how quickly the average user can be tricked into installing malware, but for advanced users it still wouldn't apply.

If you're behind a firewall or at least a router running NAT then yes you are correct, this is a bit blown out of proportion. However if you have... Say comcast, and your directly connected to your cable modem and are assigned a public IP address (thus not behind a firewall or NAT router) and have no anti virus or local software firewall running, try running wireshark...see for yourself how many packets your computer processes...99% are bots and hackers probing for weaknesses. And if you actually use this computer (browse, etc), more than likely, you will at least get some spyware or malware, and eventually will pick up some type of virus.

Yes, blaster was just painful. Caused me 3 days working non-stop blocking every L3 boundary in my campus LAN and enterprise WAN, working with the desktop support team tracking and cleaning. I refuse to even think about going thru that again. For that reason alone, I will always protect every computer I use and own.

Posted via Android Central app

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Does turning this on help or reduce the need for an AV.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-11-28-05-50-07.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-11-28-05-50-07.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 10

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It would maybe help block attacks from pages you visit in Chrome, but not with other browsers, emails, messengers, and other forms of attacks.

Mystikal777

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
I use ESet. It is extremely light and does not hog up your RAM. It's warned me a number of times of apps that push unwanted crap onto my phone. Most Android users will tell you the chances of getting a virus, like you would on a Windows platform, is very very slim. Plus most of these antiviruses do not offer "Real Time" Protection. But I like mine solely to avoid crappy apps, that's all.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000