Android Auto Constantly Disconnects

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
They finally pushed Android11 and a September security update to my Samsung A21 (seems like the quarterly updates are always dated a quarter behind) and I think my wireless Android Auto problems might be gone. Have not yet positively confirmed, but thus far it's looking promising.

flybub

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Same issues as everyone else (I have a Note 10). I've tried different cables in my truck (F150) and my wife's car (GMC Acadia), but it constantly disconnects. Had the same issue when I had my S8. Interestingly enough, my brothers Pixel 6 suffers the same issues. All these little problems on Android add up (at least for me). It's one thing to have a big problem with a phone or the ecosystem, but when you have multiple little issues they can really add up and that's where Android is at for me right now. I'm not huge fan of the iPhone, but I'm willing to give it a try again (last iPhone was the X).

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
@flybub are you plugging in before or after starting the vehicles? I found with my Outback that if I plug in before starting I have some "quirks" but it's been rock solid ever since I started plugging in after starting the vehicle and letting the radio system fully boot.

flybub

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
@flybub are you plugging in before or after starting the vehicles? I found with my Outback that if I plug in before starting I have some "quirks" but it's been rock solid ever since I started plugging in after starting the vehicle and letting the radio system fully boot.

I've tried it both ways. I've found in my F150 plugging it in after start it will still disconnect, just not as frequently. In my wifes Acadia it doesn't matter when I plug it in, sometimes it works without issue, other times it doesn't even know it's plugged in (it just charges). I'm on my 4th different cable for my phone (this one is Anker) and I'm not buying another one.

My son and I were on the road most of the weekend and he plugged his iPhone 12 in my F150 and it had zero issues for 2 days. That's not a this is better than that statement, I've seen some posts on other forums asking members to try an iPhone to make sure it's not a head unit problem.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
That's not a this is better than that statement, I've seen some posts on other forums asking members to try an iPhone to make sure it's not a head unit problem.

I'm not taking it that way at all. In fact - your experience seems to be opposite what the experience is with the late-model (20, 21, 22) Outback, it seems Android folks are having better success than iOS folks in many cases. Subaru has released several updates for our head units, I haven't installed the latest for mine yet (the first to come out since I got my vehicle in May) but I'm also not having the problems others are.

flybub

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm not taking it that way at all. In fact - your experience seems to be opposite what the experience is with the late-model (20, 21, 22) Outback, it seems Android folks are having better success than iOS folks in many cases. Subaru has released several updates for our head units, I haven't installed the latest for mine yet (the first to come out since I got my vehicle in May) but I'm also not having the problems others are.

Interesting. Frustrating and confusing at the same time

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
Not to pass people off, but my wireless AA problems now seem resolved with the Android11 update that was finally pushed to my Samsung A21. I never did get the vehicle head unit checked/updated, so that kind of solidifies that it was a Samsung Android problem for me. Fingers crossed that it is truly gone and won't come back. I have to say that through all of this the Apple phones in the family all kept working seamlessly with no problems ever with the head unit for their wireless Apple CarPlay.

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I do think it's more Samsung than Android, but even Pixels have had major issues. I never had AA problems with my OnePlus 8. Hopefully your A21 will keep working well for you.

Roger Ruzeck

Sep 21, 2022
Visit site
Hi my name is Roger and I have a 2016 kia optima sxl and a S21 ultra and my phone keeps on disconnecting from my car after just a few minutes as well. I too have bought multiple cables and also tried w/ my wifes S21 ultra as well with the same results. It is frustrating but I think I will try a different phone to see if I is just the S21 ultra

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I finally broke down and bought some very short USB 3 certified cables. So far (knock on wood) my S21 hasn't disconnected from AA with the new cables. But I'm not considering it a win, because about a third of my trips with the previous cables were trouble-free too. My Pixel never had an issue with the old cables, and neither did my OnePlus 8 before that. Just such a maddening experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter