Android Auto Constantly Disconnects

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I have actually had the same issue I don't use the Android auto that often since it's like a 50/50 chance when it works. I have a 2020 charger and an S21 Ultra so I don't think it's either one of those things I do have quite a few cords perhaps it's a cord issue.

I have my tablet set up in my vehicle for my deliveries in the evening that works out very well. Plus it has a nicer screen

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. Sometimes I don't think it's worth the trouble. The Google navigation is a bit too dumbed down, and some things are very hard or impossible to do with the map. Overall I'm a bit disappointed, though my drive to Florida (about 1400 miles each way) was nearly trouble-free, so I can't completely trash it.

Jezza819

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Curious to know how many more people are experiencing this. It seems like from what your saying its a software issue but it does not effect everyone? It just sucks, I'm still using my iPhone due to this issue...I know that's a first world problem to have but its just as annoying to not be able to use a $1200 phone for such a silly reason.

I've had my S21 for a week now and it's happening to me as well. But my major issue with it has been getting the phone to connect to the car. It keeps toggling on and off when trying to pair up and says my connection isn't very good and to try later or change cables. I'll plug and unplug maybe 3 or 4 times and finally it will connect. Once connected Android Auto stays connected but I've only used it on short cross town trips so far. But this weekend I'm going out of town so I'll see what it does over about 8 hours worth of driving.

**EDIT** I did my 8 hour trip this weekend and Android Auto performed flawlessly. Connected on the first try each time, never disconnected. So maybe my initial troubles with it won't show up again.

Last edited:

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I just use the Bluetooth and have my tablet for a nav screen . Works out well. Tablet can also get the phone messages and calls.

Djimbe1982

Sep 3, 2021
Visit site
LOL. I mean the MK8 GTI's just came out or are coming out very soon...Upgrading the ol' MK7 isn't the worst idea.haha

FYI, I have a 2019 Golf SportWagen with the 7in screen, never had any issue with any cables on my Galaxy S10+ then I bought a S21 Ultra, the phone wasn't even recognized by the car at first, then tried a different cable, same thing, charging, not recognized... Started panicking... Then read a little and tried the brand new original cable that came with my Galaxy Buds. It worked at first then disconnected after maybe 1 or 2 hours. Then randomly, after 10 minutes, 1 minutes, 2 hours driving since weeks, it disconnects and don't want to reconnect anymore, it tries, fails, tries and fails then the car doesn't even want to try again! No bumps, no turn, perfectly clean highway and it even happened parked... Tried back the S10+ and working perfectly. I don't want to buy a MK8 R to solve my issue!

Last edited:

Jezza819

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
I spoke too soon earlier. Last weekend on a 7 hour round trip Android Auto stayed connected and did fine going over. Coming back home was a different story. For about an hour or more it was constantly disconnecting. I would have to stop, unplug the cable at the USB port and reconnect in order for it to start working again but less than a minute later it would disconnect again. Finally I just let it go and it would stay connected for maybe 5 or 10 minutes then disconnect. It was constantly going up and down and eventually with about an hour left in my trip it settled in and stayed connected the rest of the way home.

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
For in my vehicle it works fine (thus far) for if I use a USB cable for wired method, but it will not stay connected for wireless method. For me, wireless Android Auto is a disaster, constantly disconnecting just like what others report. However, the iPhones work just fine wirelessly in my vehicle for their carPlay. It is definitely something wrong with Android Auto in the head unit or in the the Android phones, probably in the phones (in my opinion).

Update: If I start trying to use wireless and then try to overcome the crappyiness by plugging in USB, it doesn't help. Seems like I then have to fully disconnect wireless and the USB, and then start the connection process completely all over again, initiated by the USB plug in, for it to then reasonable work via wired USB method.

Last edited:

HazelEyedBabe

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
Hello all! I am having a problem keeping my S21 Ultra connected to my car via wired Android Auto. I can't for the life of me figure out why. At first I was *seemingly* making up that it was happening every time I turned a corner or hit a bump in the road that it would disconnect. Therefore I tried a total of four different USB A to C cables and it still continued to happen. I've tried clearing the cache/memory for Android Auto and it doesn't fix it. I have pretty much narrowed it down to the S21 because it got so bad that for a recent road trip where I needed GPS I switched back to my iPhone 12 Pro Max....I never had one disconnect. So I know its not my cars input plug, and I know its not a cable issue for the S21. It must be the phone itself. I have done everything that I can think of except for a complete erase and restore of the phone. I'd rather not have to do that but I will if anyone things that has a serious chance of it just having a bug or some corrupt file that restoring it would fix.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!!!

If it matters the car is a 2020 VW GTI.

I have a alpine head unit that has android auto connected via USB. I have a galaxy note 10 plus running android 11. I have a fix. The android with running 10 or 11 (latest) is a not of data and the cable that was used factory with my radio is week. I bought a USB 3.1 took the factory USB from the back of the radio and connected my 3.1 cable and it worked. No issed no disconnection what so ever. I drove for like 30 mins while connected and no issues. Try changing out the cable to a 2nd gen usb.

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
I am about 99% sure that lots of these problems are due to Android, either in the phones or in the head units, or both, because with my vehicle Apple phones and AppleCarPlay works seamlessly, perfect, no disconnects ever, for either wired or wireless.

mvmarysr

Dec 3, 2021
Visit site
I just got an S21 5G, and, no, Android Auto will not stay connected (all software updates are current).

This is in a 2020 Ford Edge which is Android Auto compatible. It worked fine with my old S7.

Very frustrating!!!

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I just got an S21 5G, and, no, Android Auto will not stay connected (all software updates are current).

This is in a 2020 Ford Edge which is Android Auto compatible. It worked fine with my old S7.

Very frustrating!!!
It's maddening how it can work fine for hours one trip, then disconnect repeatedly during the next. It's enough to make me want to pay it off and sell my S21 sometimes! Unfortunately, the big discount I got on it is in bill credits so it would cost me a LOT more to pay it off that way than to keep it. I do wonder if the credits would stop if I swapped to something else, or are active as long as the payment contract is in place. I need to ask them. Only things I don't miss about my OnePlus are the larger size and curved screen.. I'd probably put up with them for more stable AA and frankly better battery life.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I still have my 4a 5G, I don't still have the audio drops/AA restarts that I had previously.

A little background - I have a 2021 Outback, a vehicle model in which the head unit has had some 'growing pains' resulting in several firmware updates in an attempt to resolve complete system reboots. I have NOT seen those reboots. Subaru has released a new update that I have yet to install, it still has the latest version that was out when I took delivery in May.

My cable - I believe the USB-A to USB-C cable that came with my Nexus 6P.
My process - Start the car, let the infotainment boot fully (getting satellite radio playing), THEN plug in my phone.

Following the process above I have had ZERO audio drops when playing audio through AA.

This may be a device issue, or even a Samsung issue, not Android or AA as a whole. It could also be a vehicle issue.

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
Yeah I am inclined to think its a Samsung issue in my case, but not sure. For me, wired AA works better than wireless AA. For me, wireless AA will rarely ever work (connection drop, responsiveness issues, etc...). For me, even wired will periodically have problems, and once in a Blue Moon wireless will work for 20 minutes or so.

Telchar

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Had this happen to me with my note 9, it ended up being pocket lint packed inside and around USB port, prevented USB connector to seat on the magnet that keeps cable connected. cleaned around the port using a very small unfolded paper clip. cable stayed connected never had Android Auto disconnect again. Hope this helps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hackemail