Android data plan still work in IP4S in simcard swap?

AndroiderX

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Hey all,

So let's say I wanted to do a simcard swap (with cutting my sim to fit for the IP4S) from my Android to a IP4S, will the data plan still work on the IP? I understand the IP is limited to 3G speeds, but I would still be able to get access to ATT's data network and the sim would just know when its in a 4G or 3G device?

Or would the original 4G-specific data plan not work in the IP and I would only get phone service and wifi access?

Thanks

(I understand this is an Android forum, so please don't bash me on this about switching to a IP. I'm just curious and looking for helpful answers)

PewterL31

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
IPhone 4s has its own set of data plans if u change the sim calls and text will work just not data. If u call customer care they can update the imei and put on the 4s version of ur current data plan so it will work

Sent from my Samsung Skyrocket

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
IPhone 4s has its own set of data plans if u change the sim calls and text will work just not data. If u call customer care they can update the imei and put on the 4s version of ur current data plan so it will work

Sent from my Samsung Skyrocket

The system will also pickup on the IMEI change, only a matter of time.

If should work yes, but Visual Voicemail will not (need the right iPhone data plan for that) but as TropicalSammich said eventually the system will catch the change and give you the right data plan.

oldpueblo

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Figured I'll hijack this thread rather than start a new one since it's a similar topic. My brother currently has a "dumbphone" with AT&T. I have a Verizon Trophy that's SIM unlocked. Could he drop his SIM into it and continue on his dumbphone plan (turning off cellular data), or will AT&T somehow know it's a smartphone even though it shouldn't show up in their database as recognizable (I'd assume). He'd just use data over wireless. We of course don't want them tacking on a data plan charge.

For reference, I've used the Trophy with an AT&T pre-paid SIM and it works fine.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Even though the phone is not in their database they can tell that its a smart phone and will add the data plan. The IMEI / ESN / MEID numbers and letters are not completely random. They do mean something. It may not be instant but eventually they will either add the data plan or suspend the line for having an unauthorized device. Generally just add the plan.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
For reference, I've used the Trophy with an AT&T pre-paid SIM and it works fine.

You're very lucky. A couple weeks ago I had a customer who did this (only it was an unlocked T-Movile phone) and the line was suspended. I hat to call AT&T (prepaid) Customer care who had to connect me to Handset Security who had me give them the IEME of an authorized device they were putting on the line to un-suspend the account.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I had ZERO issues taking my iPhone 4s sim and putting it into my Galaxy S II. No visual voicemail but everythign else worked fine. My plan was still "Data Unlimited for iPhone 4s" on the Galaxy S II. So it will definitely work as long as the data plan is the same.

The iPhone 4s uses HSPA+ and I had an HSPA+ plan so I was good to go on the Galaxy S II.

In your case, I don't see why it wouldn't work reversed.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
The data would work for the most part but would have errors every now and again. You would need to contact AT&T and let them know you have the iphone. If you have the unlimited data plan still, you will be able to keep that. The plans still cost the same regardless of which smartphone you have. It just needs to be provisioned within their system properly in order to make sure your phone will work correctly.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjeans