Android equivalent to imessage?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Honestly I don't think this could be achieved on Android the same way Apple does for the same reason we can't all get timely updates the way Apple does. Too many cooks in the same kitchen. Even if Google implemented something like this, different manufacturers would end up tweaking it, so it wouldn't be the same thing. The only way this would work is if Google implemented some sort of rule that the manufacturers couldn't change it in any way.

They would just make it part of the GAPPS package that is required to be installed. Carriers wouldn't be able to modify the actual app since it's a Google App.

The trick would be getting people to use it over the normal SMS app that also comes with phones.

rkkeller

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
Use Mighty Text. It allows you to receive the same txts on multiple devices, tablets or even your computer.

All you do is use the stock messaging app like usual and the messages/pics are mirrored on any device you have Mights Text installed on.

Mario00064

Apr 25, 2015
Visit site
Use Mighty Text. It allows you to receive the same txts on multiple devices, tablets or even your computer.

All you do is use the stock messaging app like usual and the messages/pics are mirrored on any device you have Mights Text installed on.
Awesome thank you! Last night I downloaded MT tablet version. Will test it today. Hopefully it will do the job

ljfong

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Use WhatsApp, you and your wife will be happier in the long run. Like it or not, WhatsApp now commands the lion's share of IM userbase. I use an iPad and love it too but I generally stay clear of being tied to Apple-exclusive services, such as, iTunes, iCloud, iMessage, iWhatever, etc whenever I can. Those services are fully intended to rope you in and keep you in Apple's closed ecosystem.

anon(14608)

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
Hangouts is on the way out (it was never good anyway) for SMS.

Google Hangouts 7.0 for Android asks users to stop using it for SMS | Ars Technica

So no, Android doesn't (or won't) have an iOS equivalent.

BTW, Hangouts fails do the one thing I want that iMessage does with SMS messages, which is to sync across devices. It does do this for Hangouts messages and text messages from a Google Voice number, but not texts from an actual mobile phone number.

If one wanted to, one could just use a Google Voice number for everything, but at this point that would be a big change for me -- everyone I know has my mobile number already (and it's easily memorizable).

Duane LeLaCheur

Aug 28, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,

My wife and I will be receiving this week our new Galaxy S7 Edges. We're coming from iphones and ipads. I'm wondering if in the Android world there is an equivalent to imessage which would allow us to send and receive SMS texts on both the phone and, say, a Samsung Galaxy S2 tablet? This is one feature of ios that we do find useful. Our phones are ATT if that matters. I believe verizon has a messages app which can be installed on both phones and tablets.

Thanks in advance!

Since your on samsung, why not just use Samsung SideSync? https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...samsung.com%2Fus%2Fsidesync%2F&token=8aljajQm

djsteen

Oct 27, 2017
Visit site
My friend recently switched from an iPhone 6 and MacBook Pro to a Cat S60 (Android 6.0) and Windows 10 laptop. The only thing he misses from Apple's ecosystem is sending messages (SMS/iMessage) from macOS. I did some digging around today and found that AirDroid appears to be the best option to send/sync messages on his laptop. The free version has no limitations on messages. There are limitations (200MB/mo for remote data transfer) on transferring data/files between devices, but that's not going to be his primary use.

There appears to be an issue with images not showing up in messages, but the fact messages send and receive in realtime is awesome and all that really matters.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
My friend recently switched from an iPhone 6 and MacBook Pro to a Cat S60 (Android 6.0) and Windows 10 laptop. The only thing he misses from Apple's ecosystem is sending messages (SMS/iMessage) from macOS. I did some digging around today and found that AirDroid appears to be the best option to send/sync messages on his laptop. The free version has no limitations on messages. There are limitations (200MB/mo for remote data transfer) on transferring data/files between devices, but that's not going to be his primary use.

There appears to be an issue with images not showing up in messages, but the fact messages send and receive in realtime is awesome and all that really matters.
Tell him to try Sidesync.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snowhand