Android Messages app for Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 w/ Android 8?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hello, I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 (latest) with Android 8. When I look up "Android Messages" in the Google Play store it says it's not compatible with my device and I cannot download. Does anyone know when it's planned to be available for my device?

Thank you for any info,
Gina

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Android Messages is Google's texting app for phones. As the Tab S3 is not typically set up with an SMS-capable phone number the app won't be of any use.

Yes, I realize there's the Messages on the Web capability but adding additional devices rather than using a browser on a computer is just not there yet.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If things go the way they've gone int he past, we'll see full peer-to-peer SMS, no carrier needed, in about 2 years. Then maybe another 2 to work the bugs out.

crazysaguaro

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I'd like to install it on my Samsung Galaxy S9 and have the texts be forwarded to my tab (similar to the way Mightytext, PushBullet or other apps work). I am using the Samsung Flow app for this currently, but it is lacking in quite a few ways.

-Gina

raymerkelly

Sep 21, 2018
Visit site
Android Messages is Google's texting app for phones. As the Tab S3 is not typically set up with an SMS-capable phone number the app won't be of any use.

Yes, I realize there's the Messages on the Web capability but adding additional devices rather than using a browser on a computer is just not there yet.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

I am able to use Verizon's testing app on both devices and they sync even though my tab s3 isn't a phone. I wish G would consider this for the convenience of your customers. Apple doesn't have this issue either.

By the way, it's a beautiful, will designed app on my phone.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I am able to use Verizon's testing app on both devices and they sync even though my tab s3 isn't a phone. I wish G would consider this for the convenience of your customers. Apple doesn't have this issue either.

By the way, it's a beautiful, will designed app on my phone.

That's a different app, and may only work when you have Verizon for your phone service (I don't, the OP didn't say if they do).