Android Nearby Sharing - pros but above all the cons, vs. Samsung Quick Share

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Up front: I have -not- enabled any of the above services yet!
I'd like to ask a few questions first before just start using something, without being aware of any drawbacks.

This new 'Nearby Sharing', most, if not all, sites are explaining how it works, how to activate it, etc.
Samsung has a similar service named 'Samsung Quick Share'.

Only a few sites highlight the pros and cons of each of the above services.

Samsung Quick Share seems to depend on cloud integration(?)
What cloud service? Samsung Cloud or OneDrive? OneDrive is integrated in their Gallery app.
Samsung Quick Share, when enabling, offers the choice to share to 'Everyone' or to your 'Contacts' only.
OTOH Google's Nearby Sharing, offers to share with 'Some Contacts'

But those contacts should then first tap on the 'Accept' button to accept shared files(?), contrary to sharing files by sending them as an attachment to an email, or sharing them through WhatsApp.

A practical example: I make a photo and want to share it with one other person.
1. I do not want to share the photo with others, nor
2. do I wish my device be visible to others.

Right now I am sending it as an email attachment. As the other person opens his mailbox, the photo is there. Period.

Based on the above 'Quick Share' seems not the right option: my Smartphone is shared with all persons in the 'Contacts' list, having devices with the same Quick Share feature(?)

Now how am I to proceed using Nearby sharing.

Thanks!

anon(10614692)

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
Both of those sharing services use BT or wifi. Naturally the other person's device will be close to yours to make the connection so I don't understand how the practical example you cite is relevant The apps are not for sending files to anyone who isn't in close proximity, all it is is a way of reducing the hassle of opening email, locating and transferring the file.

I'll leave a Link to register so you can communicate here as a guest account you can only post questions but can't reply
https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=409154

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Agree. It's Android's version of Apple's AirDrop.

I tried it this morning, quickly, between my Pixel 2 XL (Android 11) and my Nexus 6P (Android 8). I was easily able to share a link, but a photo from within Photos didn't have the Nearby Share option.

Additionally - enabling it does not open your device for having data PULLED from it, it only makes it available as a destination device.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards