Android Town - social community application

BeerBelly

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
First force close was when I used the my location function. After about 30 seconds or so of waiting, it just hung up and had to force close. Second time was while within the settings menu. I clicked the second tab on top (I believe it was notifications), got a black screen, and then the forced close.

Using a Nexus One, non-rooted.

Also, just a suggestion... I suggest a preference option to switch it from kilometers to miles for the distance measurement. Not a biggie, but one that many people may enjoy. If it is already in there and I didn't see it, I apologize and ignore this suggestion.

Thanks for helping.
Were you using GPS or network location for location lock? Was your internet connection on?

about the distance units: a switch between metric and US/UK units is already in the works. Seems logical tbh.

@alphabets:
the application uses your last know location for either GPS or network location as it's first fix. It could have picked up your home location if that was the last stored value.

I'll try to get those fixes ready as soon as possible. The force close is really bugging me. I'd like to get my hand on some logs for that.

@ock: can you run the app for me again and see if you experience the same force close? Another user said it happened just on the first run through.

One more thing that could be causing the slower reactions from the phone are user updates. Atm the app is set to update every 5 seconds when viewing the map (not when on other screens or outside of the app). So if you're looking at a larger radius it might get the phone to overload itself.

I guess an update of the app on the marker with users having to relog should fix that. The setting I'm talking about btw is "minimum time between user updates"

Last edited:

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for helping.
Were you using GPS or network location for location lock? Was your internet connection on?

about the distance units: a switch between metric and US/UK units is already in the works. Seems logical tbh.

@alphabets:
the application uses your last know location for either GPS or network location as it's first fix. It could have picked up your home location if that was the last stored value.

I'll try to get those fixes ready as soon as possible. The force close is really bugging me. I'd like to get my hand on some logs for that.

@ock: can you run the app for me again and see if you experience the same force close? Another user said it happened just on the first run through.

I actually just gave it another try when I was out for a drive about 20 or so minutes ago. The first attempt earlier was using network location since I was in an office. However, this attempt was using direct GPS since I was in my car. And since at that time, I was located just across the Hudson in NJ, I saw a few users on the map over in the city. So it seems to now work ok. Didn't have any force closes on this use.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Rooted N1 running a customized version of CM - installed app, opened app, set up account. All fine. Could not get my location, after ~120 seconds app forced closed. Reopened app, worked perfectly. Set radius for 5000km and see users as far away as Europe and South America. Can not get app to FC again, and seems to be working well. If I can get another FC, I'll shoot you the relevant portion of the log.

BTW - that lonely little guy in West Virginia is me :)

BeerBelly

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
@tony:
Latitude basically shows the location of only your friends. AT shows the location of every user using the app (if you choose the worldwide setting - 25000 kms; about 230 users atm) or users in a certain radius around you. They don't need to be your friends. It's basically showing a network of android users across the globe. The end all, be all goal of the app is that you can walk up to a guy at the train station and say: I like the Bears, too. :)

@gbhill: I'm glad it's working now for you. If a FC does happen again though, a log would be a god send :)

@ock: seems strange to only happen on the first run...maybe too many things happening at once...might update the app so it does nothing until you register...

BeerBelly

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
@ock: any chance you can get me a log of the force close? It seems to act weirdly on your phone. sorry about that.

@saved..: it is indeed intended for Android 1.6+. Sorry.

paul_aka_paul

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I had a force close when I first opened it. I uninstalled, reinstalled and it opened fine. It opened showing Tulsa, but I am in southern California. I have been having issues with maps and gps, so that might be part of my problem. It fc's on me whenever I try to move the map. 5 or 6 straight times now it has fc'ed due to just touching the map.

I'm on a stock Droid, 2.1.

BeerBelly

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
Update - My fc issues cleared up once my GPS issues went away. I can see a handful of users near me. And as I suspected, its a sausage fest.

At the moment, there's a bug that's preventing the females to show up. It'll be cleared today most likely :) I think we have around 40 girls registered that are showing up as guys.

anon(12496)

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
Well, at first it didn't show up in the market, but maybe that's just because I'm in Hungary. Lets download this thing, after all the market description (viewed in AppBrain) says "for all android versions" !

... it is indeed intended for Android 1.6+. Sorry.

So that's why it wouldn't install... Please remove the afore mentioned qoute from the description, if you haven't done so already! It's misleading. Also I checked the website too, no mention of the 1.6+ requirement that I could find.

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Another suggestion: the ability to post my location manually instead of having it auto-update whenever it finds my location. for privacy reasons, I don't want it posting my location when i'm at my home or my office. And because it automatically updates my location, I won't even open the app when I'm in one of those two places. An option for auto or manual would be nice like Latitude has.