Anker SoundBuds Surge Review

Adam Matlock

Trusted Member
Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
This review officially completes the Anker Trifecta, meaning that this is my third pair of their earphones that I have tested out and reviewed. First, I reviewed the SoundBuds Sport, and then the SoundBuds Curve, and now… I give you the SoundBuds Surge.
MVIMG_20171120_093058.jpgMVIMG_20171120_093108.jpg

Presentation: First and foremost, I have to say that these little guys are called the “Surge” for a reason. As soon as I fired these earphones up it was evident that extra time and effort was put into creating a set of earphones that really crank up the volume and the bass, which was a welcomed addition from the SoundBuds Sport. So, if you want to hit some lows and experience more bass when you’re hitting the gym, or just casually kicking back and listening to some sweet tunes, these are the earphones for you. Normally when I first review a set of earphones I’ll turn them on and get my initial impressions and then formulate some thoughts and then head back to listen to some more music and test the headset out some more. Not this time. After I started listening to some music I was enjoying the sound experience so much that I left them in and kept listening to more music. For reals… they’re good.
MVIMG_20171120_093214.jpgMVIMG_20171120_093603.jpg

Sound Quality: The volume on this headset is probably the best so far out of all three Anker headsets that I have reviewed. It gets loud, but not too loud. The loudness is very enjoyable though. Sometimes when you turn up headsets you’ll get some cracking, distortion, or notice some of the shortcomings in the audio experience, but not with the SoundBuds Surge. I even tried maxing out the volume with a couple different varieties of music and I was met with a similar level of satisfaction; loud and quality sound. The quality is excellent too. The lows are redeeming and very well represented, from the bass drum to other instruments and various lows. Mids and vocals are on point. They aren’t forced, tinny, or lost in the rest of the sound experience. Highs are excellent, and blend well with the music. It’s not overly sharp and ear piercing, but you can still hear the instruments. All in all, it’s a fantastic listening experience, especially for the price ($27.99)
MVIMG_20171120_093811.jpgMVIMG_20171120_093827.jpg

Functionality: The SoundBuds Surge has a familiar control setup, which is quick and easy to use. The control module has the multi-purpose button for on/off, and the volume up and volume down buttons. Other than that, the control module also has the USB connector on it for charging up your earphones. Pairing is a breeze with one-touch pairing. All you have to do is fire up the earphones and select them from the Bluetooth menu on your phone and tap on the earphones when the name pops up, and voila! You’re connected. If you run into any issues, you can hold down the power button for 3-seconds while they’re on to enter pairing mode. The SoundBuds Surge are rated at 6 hours of continuous use, which is pretty good for a nice, on-the-go experience. I would wager to guess that the battery life is slightly decreased because of the extra power going into producing the excellent sound experience. The charging port is standard MicroUSB 2.0, and the earphones do come with a charging cord (no base). However, as with all of Anker’s earphones, the USB cord is very, very short, so good luck with charging them in any convenient manner. Of course, this seems to be the case with almost every set of earphones I have tested out, so it’s not necessarily a ding on Anker. One day though I’d like to live in a world where earphones come with a 3ft charging cord. And last but not least, as is par with the rest of Anker’s earphones, they give you tons of different sized ear tips and apparatuses to size the ear buds for your comfort. There are four different pairs of ear tips, and three sets of inner-ear supports, sized for your comfort and to keep the earbuds in place.
MVIMG_20171120_093939.jpgMVIMG_20171120_094306.jpgMVIMG_20171120_094329.jpg

Additional Features and Specs:
- The SoundBuds Surge are specially coated and designed to be, sweat and moisture resistant, so you can use them safely and comfortably while you work out.
- Rated for 6hrs of listening time!
- Comes with a MicroUSB 2.0 charging cord, but it’s very short. (charging base not included)
- Fully charged in 1.5hrs
- Comes with a fancy carrying pouch
- Bluetooth 4.1 connectivity (one-touch pairing), and a range of 10m (33ft)
- Includes silicone and memory foam tips and fins so anyone and everyone can find a perfect fit with sublime comfort.
- The backs of the ear buds are magnetic, and they will stick together for convenience.

If you’re interested in picking up a pair of Anker’s SoundBuds Surge earphones, you can find them here, on Anker’s website for the everyday price of $27.99: https://www.anker.com/products/variant/SoundBuds-Surge/A3236011 - If you have any questions or comments, please leave them down in the comments section!

Last edited: