another battery post

conan1071

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
Since I don't have WiFi available for me at work, I have to rely a lot on 4G-LTE, which we all know eats up a lot of battery. When I got the Maxx, I worked it hard to see how long it could last without using WiFi for data, and also some time using GPS Navigation; which also eats up a lot of battery. I did roughly 15hrs 30mins on 4G-LTE, about 1hr 45mins on GPS Navigation, and about 1hr 30mins on WiFi. In addition, I was using Google Chrome a lot, Facebook, Twitter, E-Mail, mobile games, and at least 3+hours listening to podcasts. I got 5hrs 30mins screen time, which is about 2hrs more than I normally do on a regular day. I would say the Maxx will definitely see me through 1 solid day, which is all I'm really asking for.

View attachment 84545View attachment 84546

When you say 1 hour 45 minutes on GPS, does that mean it was on for that long or that you were using a program that requires GpS for that long?

Posted via Android Central App

optimum5

Jan 27, 2011
albert5x5.com
When you say 1 hour 45 minutes on GPS, does that mean it was on for that long or that you were using a program that requires GpS for that long?
It was on for that long. I was running Google Maps Navigation driving to a destination. So in addition to GPS constantly running at that period, my screen was also left on during that time. Normally I would have my phone plugged in the charger when I use Navigation, but since it's normally such a battery drain, I wanted to see how the Maxx handled it by itself.

Droid_NYC

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
First day with Droid Maxx. I pushed it hard to see just how far it could go. It's charging so I don't have screenshots but it was off charger at about 10 AM, about 20 minutes of calls, 2 hours of GPS navigation, 2 hours of music (usually while navigating), 15 minutes of Hangout video chat, half of the day on wifi, half on 4G, 30 minutes YouTube, normal messaging/texting, lots of first day setting up and tinkering, other assorted usage and screen set to 100 percent brightness...the results...

13.5 hours before it died
7 hours screen on time
Screen used 75 percent of the battery

Clearly that's abnormal use. I barely let the phone sleep as you can see by screen on time. It was on more than 50% of the time and the brightness was at max so it used almost all of the battery by itself. With regular use this thing should be a beast.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Truly shocked on a trip when I fired up Waze for about two hours and didn't have to plug in! In fact, it didn't drop the battery enough to even worry over and I didn't have to recharge until later that evening. I've found, at times, that any kind of navigation will drain the old Razr even plugged in!

GMasonDragonDad

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Just bothers me that it drains 10% every 8 hours with everything turned off except the main 4G radio. I have tried to deactivate everything to narrow down whatever is causing the drain. Even have dark wallpaper to keep the screen usage down. Still need to use the auto brightness. Got caught several times with it on dim when went outside during the day. Couldn't see a thing!

Phone stays nice and cool whenever I run my WiFi hotspot for my kids iPad. My Droid X2 got very warm to the touch under the same conditions. Radios are very quick to turn on when needed!

SeigaGen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Just bothers me that it drains 10% every 8 hours with everything turned off except the main 4G radio. I have tried to deactivate everything to narrow down whatever is causing the drain. Even have dark wallpaper to keep the screen usage down. Still need to use the auto brightness. Got caught several times with it on dim when went outside during the day. Couldn't see a thing!

Phone stays nice and cool whenever I run my WiFi hotspot for my kids iPad. My Droid X2 got very warm to the touch under the same conditions. Radios are very quick to turn on when needed!

You have to be kidding me...Most phones would drool over the fact that you get 10% drain every 8 hours regardless of what is turned off and on. If that bothers you, then you should consider getting a phone with a removable battery that can take a mugen battery or something.

But just to highlight a few things that you will get with this phone vs a removable battery phone.

1. Droid Maxx has a 3500 mAh battery under the X8 mobile computing architecture. To make a long story short, that's a huge battery capacity that has a processor designed for extending battery life to the fullest and without lag.
  2. Removable batteries are not supported by OEM's that are third party. Which means it truly is trial and error to find the battery that will last the longest.
  3. Longevity - Most of the screenshots that have been presented, folks have been forcefully trying to see the battery life. but if you notice, on screen display and usage even at heavy times have proven to be quite remarkable.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
This seems like a good thread for this: discovered the battery saver setting the other day, anyone know what it does? Haven't found it in the manual (yet) along with most of the other stuff we need to know! Who writes these things anyway?

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Or, keep those things on and be happy that you have one of the few phones that can keep all of those things on and not be dead in less than a day.

This. Though I have the RAZR Maxx HD, it's always been my biggest "pro" about the phone. What good are all the fancy features if you have to manage them all the time? It's nice knowing we can leave everything on or active and still have plenty of battery to make it through the day (or maybe even two).

Posted via Android Central App

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site

I feel as though my maxx hd had better standby time. Then again it wasn't always "listening" ready and waiting or using active notifications. A nice feature.

Airplane mode on my maxx hd would use only 1 percent overnight. My droid maxx uses about 5.

All in all, I get the same battery life as my maxx hd as far as screen on time. But this phone runs a hell of a lot faster with fewer hiccups.

I felt a little upset the first week of my purchase. I felt like for $299 plus tax, plus upgrade fee, plus screen protectors and defender case, I had wasted my money. And seeing the galaxy note 3 with its wide array of features for the same price point. But luckily I was able to offset the price $190 with a promo code and gift card from mototradeup.

I will be curious to see a comparison. Surely the maxx will outperform in the battery life department.

Sent from my XT1080m using AC Forums mobile app.

GMasonDragonDad

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I paid full price! I had to reboot my droid X2 every few days to keep it running smooth. nearly everyday I had to go to task manager and kill apps that were filling the memory. Had to reboot my phone a few times in front of iPhone users in order to get some app to work.. Usually had 70megs free memory.

Maxx currently shows 1 gig memory free, and no shuddering between scrolling photos.

Last night after 18 hours, had 70% battery left. Usually around 60%.. and that is with fairly light usage. (touchless controls, gps, wifi, account sync were off). disabled GSAM and Wakelocks monitoring app. I am getting closer!

redddog

May 2, 2012
Visit site
I get a lot of drain from Phone Idle and Android OS.

I agree withb doogald as well. What's the point if you can't run it all day at full capacity. I thnk we fall into this weird thinking where we are becoming so obsessed with hitiing the 2 day mark, we're worrying about stupid stuff. The fact is, we all sleep. Right? So charge the damn thing then. But unless you are activly trying to kill this battery as your singular goal, you will get from wake-up to night-night with room to spare.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I just bought the Maxx 2 weeks ago. At first I didn't use the phone as much as I normally would because I was kind of obsessed with seeing how long it could last. And holy cow could the phone last FOREVER! With minimal use (just text, email, calendar, Twitter, Facebook), I would routinely have 95% remaining after 10 hours. Then, once I was 100% confident that the phone could get me through even the most power-intensive day without a charge, I decided to use the phone as I normally would (web, Twitter, Facebook, email, talk, talk, podcasts, music, e-reader, etc.). The phone was still getting me through a full 17 hour day with 60-70% remaining, sometimes over 70%. This thing is just incredible.

My previous phones were Samsung Galaxy S2, Note 2, and Samsung Galaxy S3. With the S3, I finally decided I couldn't live with a crappy battery anymore, so I bought the 4600 mAh battery from Mugen, which was fantastic. A 4600 mAh battery is huge. But you're not going to believe this - the MAXX's 3500 mAh battery gives me significantly better battery life than the 4600 mAh battery did on the S3. I am not quite sure why this is.... maybe it has something to do with the processor being more energy efficient? All I know is that for the first time since I owned a Blackberry 9780, I have zero worries about battery life.

adrialk

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
1901Madison,
Do you have always listening, active notifications, assist, sync, etc... Enabled?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Hey -- I have active notifications on. I also have sync enabled for 5 email accounts. I use Twitter and Facebook, do not have those set to sync simply because I don't need them refreshing in the background. I figure I'll just check them when I want to. I don't think I have assist running. What is that?

adrialk

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Hey -- I have active notifications on. I also have sync enabled for 5 email accounts. I use Twitter and Facebook, do not have those set to sync simply because I don't need them refreshing in the background. I figure I'll just check them when I want to. I don't think I have assist running. What is that?

Moto Assist is the new version of smart actions, basically. It will speak text msgs to you when in the car, etc.

How much drain are you getting overnight? 5% over 8 hours as you described is very low. I was told that 1%/hr is normal idle drain for this phone but I think that's too high.

Sent from my XT1080

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yusufdontk