Another rant about the INEXCUSABLY AWFUL battery life

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
My battery life woes are over after looking at the link for the DROID Forums that was posted earlier in this thread. I was kinda resigned to the fact that my battery was only going to last 6-9 hours and I was going to have to carry a charger around. Not the case anymore after looking at the way this one guy on the forum set up his smart actions. He seems to have really cracked the battery life issue. The key involves setting up a display smart action that turns off cellular data (or wifi) when the screen is off. And he set it so he can still receive emails and sync for 15 minutes every 4 hours even when the screen is off. It's really slick, I would check it out if battery isn't cutting it for you. The battery life on my RAZR has improved drastically using his setup.

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
My battery life woes are over after looking at the link for the DROID Forums that was posted earlier in this thread. I was kinda resigned to the fact that my battery was only going to last 6-9 hours and I was going to have to carry a charger around. Not the case anymore after looking at the way this one guy on the forum set up his smart actions. He seems to have really cracked the battery life issue. The key involves setting up a display smart action that turns off cellular data (or wifi) when the screen is off. And he set it so he can still receive emails and sync for 15 minutes every 4 hours even when the screen is off. It's really slick, I would check it out if battery isn't cutting it for you. The battery life on my RAZR has improved drastically using his setup.

Best setup for me is freezing a bunch of apps including the stock launcher and getting adw launcher. I've gotten almost 20 hours on moderate usage. No disabling of 4g or sync settings.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I call BS. You don't know what you are talking about. Chargers are the same when they come from a OEM manufacturer. They may put out different wattages, probably not but maybe, but they certainly WILL NOT damage the battery. My wife and I swap chargers all the time. She has a D2, I have Dinc.

Using USB from a computer will definitely not charge the phone quickly at all. If you have a full charge on your phone and want to keep it, then use the charger from a computer. Otherwise, you will probably use 50% of what is coming through, resulting in a slow charge rate. Same goes for a car charger. They do not provide the same watts as a wall charger. It's the same reason an iPad can't charge from a computer. Only the wall charger as the usb port doesn't provide enough watts.

amp x voltage = watts. Even if your charger uses more amps, therefore using more watts, the result is faster charge time, not damage to the battery.

I've had three LG batteries destroyed by using BlackBerry chargers that says you are wrong. There are difference between brands.

Kuro

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
And I have 2 motos, 1 LG, a Samsung and now a HTC that says you're wrong. The only time I can find the OEM chargers is about the 1st couple months of owning the phone.

There's a moto USB cable connected to a Samsung charger in the kitchen, moto charger in the living room, the HTC charger on the dresser I got with my Rezound and 2 vzw universal car chargers (one in my car and one in my work truck). I have NEVER had a charging issue except with the car chargers:

They're cheap and wiggle loose out of the cigarette lighters easily :p

Whatever charger is closest when my phones needed a charge is the one that gets used.
Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
And I have 2 motos, 1 LG, a Samsung and now a HTC that says you're wrong. The only time I can find the OEM chargers is about the 1st couple months of owning the phone.

There's a moto USB cable connected to a Samsung charger in the kitchen, moto charger in the living room, the HTC charger on the dresser I got with my Rezound and 2 vzw universal car chargers (one in my car and one in my work truck). I have NEVER had a charging issue except with the car chargers:

They're cheap and wiggle loose out of the cigarette lighters easily :p

Whatever charger is closest when my phones needed a charge is the one that gets used.

I never said that they had to be OEM. I simply stated that I have destroyed three different LG batteries (enV Touch, LG Ally, and some cheap flip phone I forgot the model of) all by charging them with a MicroUSB charger that came from Blackberry.

Not all MicroUSB charger voltages are the same and not all of them auto-select the correct voltage for the battery. You're fortunate that you haven't had this problem, but that does not mean that it does not exist.

Deron Baker

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Not the case anymore after looking at the way this one guy on the forum set up his smart actions. He seems to have really cracked the battery life issue. The key involves setting up a display smart action that turns off cellular data (or wifi) when the screen is off. And he set it so he can still receive emails and sync for 15 minutes every 4 hours even when the screen is off. It's really slick, I would check it out if battery isn't cutting it for you. The battery life on my RAZR has improved drastically using his setup.

That's me.

Reactions: paul-c

Kuro

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
I never said that they had to be OEM. I simply stated that I have destroyed three different LG batteries (enV Touch, LG Ally, and some cheap flip phone I forgot the model of) all by charging them with a MicroUSB charger that came from Blackberry.

Not all MicroUSB charger voltages are the same and not all of them auto-select the correct voltage for the battery. You're fortunate that you haven't had this problem, but that does not mean that it does not exist.

Geez I cannot believe this thread has gone this far. Tweaking smart actions to turn a smartphone into a Disneyphone, turning down screen brightness, don't use non-oem chargers, dance naked in the moonlight while repeating "Droooooooid!"

The OP has most likely got a dud phone. The OP should take the dud phone back. The charger did not kill his phone. He did not neglect to roll the 'R' during his Droid chant. I skipped the Razr this time around due to looks. But thru 3 different Moto Droid incarnations and 1 LTE upgraded Xoom, Motorolas build quality has been consistently superb.

Dud phones can happen and do happen. My 1st Rezound was an overheating, slow charging, battery eating POS. Took it back and the new one is PERFECT. Remember the Law of K.I.S.S.

Last edited:

SammyRocker5150

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Ive learned one thing reading this thread. Alot of people are missing the Droid X they turned in for this phone. I think this phone is GREAT and Smart Actions is something that every company may try to emulate in the future. Sadly I have my eye on swapping my Droid X for the Galaxy Nexus. Hopefully I dont miss my reliable battery sipping X:(

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Geez I cannot believe this thread has gone this far. Tweaking smart actions to turn a smartphone into a Disneyphone, turning down screen brightness, don't use non-oem chargers, dance naked in the moonlight while repeating "Droooooooid!"

The OP has most likely got a dud phone. The OP should take the dud phone back. The charger did not kill his phone. He did not neglect to roll the 'R' during his Droid chant. I skipped the Razr this time around due to looks. But thru 3 different Moto Droid incarnations and 1 LTE upgraded Xoom, Motorolas build quality has been consistently superb.

Dud phones can happen and do happen. My 1st Rezound was an overheating, slow charging, battery eating POS. Took it back and the new one is PERFECT.

I agree that the OP's phone is probably defective and should be exchanged ASAP while within the 14 day return/exchange window.

I did not say that the charger killed it. Kurao made a blanket statement that all chargers were the same and I had to make a corrective statement, because that simply isn't true. This had nothing at all to do with the OP's phone. Could the charger have damaged it? Yes but it is much more likely that the phone was that way from the start given the battery never did work right. Please read threads completely before junping in with your comments.

To the OP: Exchange your phone ASAP while you still can without penalty.

dontlookatme

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Well I now see why I get bad battery life. I use it for everything. I use it as an mp3 player. Computer. Weather information. Camera. Internet home provider. Sex partner. TV. Radio. Comic book. Every thing. I do that cus its cheaper and easier than carrying every thing else with me. I would need a backpack. But I have it all in this little device and use it as if its an additional arm and that's why my battery sux. If not. If i just used it as a phone and text. I would get excellent battery life. So I know my battery sucking phone problems is cus of me. And maybe its the same with others. Some have a bad phone and some try to use it while having Bluetooth and streaming Pandora on 4g while screen is set to high. And wonder why it only last an hour or two. Maybe its the user's fault and not the device. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Deron Baker

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Well I now see why I get bad battery life. I use it for everything. I use it as an mp3 player. Computer. Weather information. Camera. Internet home provider. Sex partner. TV. Radio. Comic book. Every thing. I do that cus its cheaper and easier than carrying every thing else with me. I would need a backpack. But I have it all in this little device and use it as if its an additional arm and that's why my battery sux. If not. If i just used it as a phone and text. I would get excellent battery life. So I know my battery sucking phone problems is cus of me. And maybe its the same with others. Some have a bad phone and some try to use it while having Bluetooth and streaming Pandora on 4g while screen is set to high. And wonder why it only last an hour or two. Maybe its the user's fault and not the device. Just my 2 cents.

More then likely. My father has had his last over 3 days cause all he does is use it as a phone.

Deron Baker

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Ive learned one thing reading this thread. Alot of people are missing the Droid X they turned in for this phone. I think this phone is GREAT and Smart Actions is something that every company may try to emulate in the future. Sadly I have my eye on swapping my Droid X for the Galaxy Nexus. Hopefully I dont miss my reliable battery sipping X:(

Paruse old posts on message boards about Droid X and you'll likely see posts about new Droid X owners complaining about their batteries. Then 2 years later, the Droid X is now the "gold standard" for battery life. In 2 years we'll all be complaining about how crappy our new 5g phones are and wish we could go back to the good ol' days with our trusty Droid Razrs. :)

Actually, my controlled battery experiements show that Droid Razr is slightly superior to Droid X when using the same activities on 3g and WiFi. http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=1451001 So when comparing apples to apples, Droid Razr is slightly better. When a new phone comes out people use it like crazy and run batteries down. They then mentally compare to their previous phone, which they weren't taxing as much since it was old news to them, and it appears as if their old Droid X has superior battery life.

Last edited:

okiepat2000

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I've read through the entire thread and can't seem to find a situation like I'm having, so I'm gonna ask for help with it.
Based upon 3 days usage, it appears that my razr actually uses MORE battery when idle than when I'm actually using it.
I charged it overnight, unplugged it this morning and simply left it sitting there. Came back 45 minutes to find the battery meter at 80% with OS accounting for 79% of usage.
I then kept it on for the next 2 hours, using it constantly. My battery is at 60%. Display: 32% Live Holden Pro: 17% Mediaserver: 12% OS: 9% WIFI: 7% Flick Golf: 5% Doubletwist: 4% Screeble: 4% Tunnybrowser: 3% Dominoes: 2% Cell standby: 2%

Do I have a faulty phone or a faulty setup? I hope that's not too much of a vague question. Thanks for any help.

I also have the phone set to 3G but running WIFI the entire time the phone has been unplugged.

milkshed27

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I've read through the entire thread and can't seem to find a situation like I'm having, so I'm gonna ask for help with it.
Based upon 3 days usage, it appears that my razr actually uses MORE battery when idle than when I'm actually using it.
I charged it overnight, unplugged it this morning and simply left it sitting there. Came back 45 minutes to find the battery meter at 80% with OS accounting for 79% of usage.
I then kept it on for the next 2 hours, using it constantly. My battery is at 60%. Display: 32% Live Holden Pro: 17% Mediaserver: 12% OS: 9% WIFI: 7% Flick Golf: 5% Doubletwist: 4% Screeble: 4% Tunnybrowser: 3% Dominoes: 2% Cell standby: 2%

Do I have a faulty phone or a faulty setup? I hope that's not too much of a vague question. Thanks for any help.

I also have the phone set to 3G but running WIFI the entire time the phone has been unplugged.

A few people have reported having high Android OS usage when using the Screbbl app. Try uninstalling it and see if that makes any difference.

Reactions: okiepat2000

okiepat2000

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
A few people have reported having high Android OS usage when using the Screbbl app. Try uninstalling it and see if that makes any difference.

Done. Thanks.

FWIW: another hour of full usage. 50% battery with display accounting for 36% and OS down to 7%.

Gonna fully recharge now and recheck idle usage. Also gonna check charge time. Seems to take a lot longer to charge razr than my x. If charge time drops that should be another indicator that Screeble is the primary culprit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rdavid666