Any takers on the Pixel?

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Lol I just saw a video where the $399 Honor 8 destroys it in speed. Just because a phone is marketed well doesn't make it the best out there brotha. Samsung has yet come out with a properly optimized phone. I guess some like this as long as it's said to have the best gimmicks

You and me are watching different reviews. For example...

https://youtu.be/aypUksJ647c

This is a $399 phone. You may argue seconds, but shouldn't the "best" smartphone known to man take it to any phone? Especially one half its price? Lol Samsung is alot of fluff that sounds great on paper :D. In reality it's just a pig with makeup.

What that video shows is that the Galaxy S7 Edge has the best display, best design, and best wi-fi connection. He is comparing different browsers on the phones so that test is meaningless. The speeds opening apps are so similar that he had to compare them in slow motion. The Huawei is likely going to have an advantage in games and battery life since the GPU is pushing half the resolution.

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Last edited:

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Samsung fanatics are like viruses. They don't change, they just mutate, in this case, once or twice a year, when a new Galaxy Failphone is released.

spawndoodling

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I like a phone that runs well, too, but let's face it: (1) the Nexus line has not lived up to its promise (a promise I believed in whole-heartedly); and (2) other OEMs have been unable to break into the U.S. market.

I left Samsung for the Nexus line a few years ago; however, I'm now having second thoughts. Look, Samsung has their fair share of problems - carrier bloatware; delayed OTA updates; and some optimization problems. However, the Nexus line deserves its fair share of scrutiny. I switched from the N6 to the N6P last year after less than a year with the N6. Unfortunately, my N6P was stolen recently and I've had to return to the N6. The size and form factor was unwieldy and the phone actually cannot sit flat on a table. Android 6.0, the OS that would finally address all of Lollipop's shortcomings, made my N6 barely usable. Extraordinary camera lag; Snapchat became unusable (this is a big deal, given that Snapchat is one of the most-used applications on smartphones); battery drain; and lag ultimately inflicted most of the phone's standard operations (e.g., lock screen, merging a phone call). I would call this an anecdote but for the hundreds, if not thousands, of threads on problems with the N6. N6 users were promised timely OTA updates and we only got 7.0 Nougat yesterday. I imagine some N6 users still don't have the OTA update and won't for a bit.

This is not what I would call a phone that "runs well."

The N6P was supposed to address all of those problems and more, and I even bought into Google's direct-to-consumer model. But that meant forgoing the communication with carriers that would ensure that issues like poor call quality would be worked out in advance. That meant forgoing basic features like wi-fi calling on carriers like Sprint. Yes, Sprint is the pits, but 50+ million people have it (more than half of whom, like me, are in grandfathered unlimited data plans). Not to mention HDR+ processing lag; poor optimization for apps like Instagram and Snapchat (photo quality suffered); and the great USB-C conundrum that some still forget. Losing your official Google charger was like losing your phone; few third-party USB-C manufacturers have bothered to ensure that their chargers are compatible with the 6P.

This is not what I would call a phone that "runs well," either.

Also, these days, OEMs with fantastic phones like Huawei and Sony have struggled and fumbled their ways into the U.S. market. The vast majority of U.S. residents buy their phones straight from the carrier. I question the sheepishness of the traditional consumer everyday, but that isn't changing.

So, as far as I'm concerned, if anyone is going to fix all of these problems, it's either going to be Google or Samsung. Google has a lot riding on it today, and I really really want to trust them. But the part of me that bought into the pure Android experience feels a little bit jaded this go around. The same way I felt about Samsung two years ago.

matus201

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I really like it, the specs seem nice and the design is OK - EXCEPT of those on-screen buttons. The massive chin just screams "put buttons on me". They could have remained capacitive, with gentle white light, I wouldn't even mind if they don't have finger print reader. They don't have to turn the phone on when it's sleeping. But this way, the 5" screen is really like 4.7" screen (unless you're watching video), and let's not forget that AMOLED, although improved every year, has burn-in issues. (I'm assuming the phone has AMOLED screen)

MrSlippery519

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure I understand the too pricey comments? Do not get me wrong this is hardly a low price "nexus" in line pricing but it is not far off any other flagship pricing.

I am still waiting to see how it is reviewed after hands on testing and carriers have it for sale...to be honest on paper it seems like a top tier phone which "could" be worth the price.

Examiner19

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Too pricey of an upgrade from the 6p. Plus I've really gotten used to two front facing speakers. Pass for now; I'll reevaluate once I see it in person.

LailaAK

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm concerned about the speakers, but that camera looks sick.

The Pixel's camera is the only one that interests me... Google claimed that DXO Mark gave it the highest score ever, for a smartphone camera, I have my doubts. (until a real average Joe posts a real photo taken with the Pixel and posts it somewhere) :D

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I love my Nexus 5 but that camera has me interested. Gotta swallow that price first. Not in the market until February so we'll see how it goes.

aaronfraser

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
Personally I prefer hardware keys over the soft keys. I also prefer the fingerprint scanner/home button on the front of the phone so I can easily unlock it while it's on my desk. I do miss the pure Android experience out of the box - but hey there's always root. For those reasons, and the price, I'll be waiting until the Galaxy S8.

chin chen

Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
Yep, i will go for the 128gb Pixel blue or black.

They could have put a 2900mah-3000mah battery imo. Waterproof and wireless charging would have been nice too. Plus a bit smaller bezels and therefore better screen to body ratio. Then it would have been perfect for me.

Otherwise i cant complain. I just like the relative pure experience with fast updates.

demon09

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I have the Nexus 6P now and frankly don't see how the Pixel phones are much different, other than a different launcher experience and some integrated apps. I imagine (hope, actually) some of that will make its way to other phones via upgrades or at least app updates, but even if it doesn't, I don't know there's much drawing me towards it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yusufdontk