Anyone running AOKP?

CypherMax

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I was tired of my wife complaining how slow her DROID 3 was. So I finally rooted, backed up, and safe strapped her phone last night. I'm currently looking for a nice fast rom for her. I am running AOKP 4.2.2 on my Verizon GS3 and love it. Just curious if it runs Ok on the DROID 3. Let me know if anyone has any experience running this rom on their DROID 3. I really want her to have JB if possible and this rom looks like the best bet. Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I am not running it myself. On the D3, it's still in pretty alpha at this point - battery meter is inaccurate, I believe, and the cameras definitely do not work. I think that there are phone issues as well. The dev is still working on the kernel, but he supports multiple Moto phones and some Kindle devices, so when he gets to it, he gets to it.

For a great daily driver, with full-functionality and great battery life, Minimoto is the best: [ROM - Stock-based] Minimoto v1.7 XT862/XT860- Less is more. - xda-developers

It's based on stock GB, but much of the Blur stuff is stripped out. Fair warning: there is no default software keyboard, so you'll have to install a replacement from the market.

CypherMax

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Ok thanks for the info she could not deal with those bugs. I'll take a look at minimoto. Are there any stable ICS roms?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Ok thanks for the info she could not deal with those bugs. I'll take a look at minimoto. Are there any stable ICS roms?

Not yet. Cameras are a problem. I believe when JB is stable, ICS will be as well; there are nightlies always being built.

It doesn't say it in the post but does minimoto include gapps?

Yes, though Minimoto is spare by design, and the dev doesn't use GMail, so you need to install that manually from the Play Store if you need it. If you need Google Talk, there is a patch on the last page or so of that thread. It's definitely more stable, though; I never restart my phone unless I need to shut it down. I had to restart with stock every three to five days or so or it would start acting up.

CypherMax

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I was just reading in the forum that people were having issues with Gmail and accounts in general. Once I download Gmail will it work properly?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I was just reading in the forum that people were having issues with Gmail and accounts in general. Once I download Gmail will it work properly?

Yes, I use Gmail all of the time (MInimoto is my daily driver, if that wasn't obvious already). Those comments may be from early versions of the ROM. Thingonaspring added a setup routine that adds your Google account.

After adding the GMail app from the market, go into (from home) settings->accounts, tap the Google account, and make sure that GMail is set to sync. The same goes for Google+ and anything that you want that app to sync.

The only real unsettled issue with Minimoto that I know of is that there is no way to turn off data roaming if you travel out of the country, but another member added an app that allows you to control that. [FIX][APK][ZIP] DroidFroam - Manage data roaming ( force data roaming always ON ) - xda-developers

One other thing: the dev replaced Motorola's Blur text/MMS with a generic Android equivalent. If your wife likes the Blur version, I created a flashable zip that puts the Blur texting back (without losing any stored messages.) It's here: http://androidforums.com/droid-3-al...ate-droid3-root-rom-thread-3.html#post5570903

CypherMax

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the good info. She is happy so far after I froze all the Verizon bloat. Phone definitely seems faster. I told her once she's ready for the next level we can give minimoto a try.

y2kharold

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I am running AOKP 4.2.2 on my SGH-I727. I am using the March 19th release. I can not find anything wrong with it; I prefer it over PA. Follow the correct install procedures, etc.
Have Fun, etc.

CypherMax

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Well I flashed minimoto to my wife's phone last night. The rom is stable and slightly smoother then stock. There is definitely more free ram but it doesn't seem any faster. When making a phone call her phone still takes a good 6 seconds to actually place call. The camera is still slow and blurry. I told her this is probably as good as its going to get. She will just have to wait until we can get her a GS4.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Well I flashed minimoto to my wife's phone last night. The rom is stable and slightly smoother then stock. There is definitely more free ram but it doesn't seem any faster. When making a phone call her phone still takes a good 6 seconds to actually place call. The camera is still slow and blurry. I told her this is probably as good as its going to get. She will just have to wait until we can get her a GS4.

We are all waiting for safestrap to allow flashing to stock, because there is a small performance hit when running from the virtual partitions. The other Moto droids have a higher safestrap version; hopefully the D3 will get it soon.

My camera is not blurry. Maybe there is something wrong with the camera cover - is it scratched or something?

I do agree, though, that a new phone will be better. The D3 is about 20 months old now. And the camera on the D3 is mediocre for sure. Not bad in good light, though.

CypherMax

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I can understand the rom slot partition not allowing optimal performance. I've always made sure her camera lens is clean no scratches either. I think the fact that the shutter is slow and if you don't stay perfectly still, indoors especially the photos are almost always blurry.

I told her there really isn't much more I can do she'll have to wait to get a new GS4. I hope Verizon will let me use an upgrade on the line my Xoom is on to get a GS4 then activate it on her line so she can keep her unlimited data. I've heard this can be done just a matter of getting a sales associate who is cool about it.