Anyone using Android Pay on their 6p?

JeBe4

Banned
Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I've used it a couple of times.... but I personally have found it just as quick if not quicker to just whip out my wallet and credit card vs using tap to pay... Pulling out my wallet and swipe to pay is just normal... Using my phone to tap to pay isn't....
Normal is relative.......

HotInEER

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I use it everyday at work. All of our soda and snack machines accepts them. Makes it much easier to use then swiping. Sometimes the card would't read and crap like that. However, I do find myself spending more money so that's kinda bad. LOL

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I use it everyday at work. All of our soda and snack machines accepts them. Makes it much easier to use then swiping. Sometimes the card would't read and crap like that. However, I do find myself spending more money so that's kinda bad. LOL

I was at a hospital 2-3 months ago and used pay on a vending machine. Person next to me looked at me weird. I can see this replacing cc/debit cards, it makes the transaction that much more secure.

Posted via the Android Central App

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I use it at the supermarket, at Rite Aid, at Macy department stores and over the holidays I used it at the Dr Martens shoe store. I find it easier than dragging my wallet out of my back pocket and then fumbling with getting the card out of the card holder. This is especially true in the winter when I am wearing a heavy long coat.

My bank keeps sending emails encouraging people to use it instead of the actual credit card so that's what I've been doing. The transit system in my city is installing new payment kiosks on each vehicle and at stations and they mentioned that they will be accepting both Apple and Android pay on the busses, trains, trolleys and subways.

When I go to a store that does not accept it I chastise them, telling them they better stay up with newer technologies. I don't care if they like what I say or not.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
One interesting thing I discovered today. When at a location that allows you to swipe your card prior to the cashier completing scanning your items (grocery store), if you tap before the cashier presses the "credit" key you won't get a record of the transaction in Pay (because the terminal can't tell the app what the total is).

z0phi3l

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
I use it as much as possible
There are only 3 places in my city that I've found that have the readers for it, works as fast or faster than using my card

z0phi3l

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
Why won't these companies adapt to technology? :( I hate carrying my wallet, credit & debit cards.

It took over a year for Apple to bring Apple Pay to get up here and they only allow American Express. I sold my 128GB iPhone 6S but when I had it, only a few supported.

I tried android Pay, using my RBC Visa and was told it wasn't supported. This was at Metro grocery store and Best Buy.

It seems only Petro Canada & Shell supports it but I fill up at Costco.

The problem is greed, Scotiabank only works with Samsung and Bell. CIBC is with Rogers but I don't bank there.

Worse thing is my local supermarket, Stop and Shop, just installed new scanners and the morons didn't install ones that can do Android/Apple pay, yet my closer Latino supermarket has them and they work wonderfully fast

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Worse thing is my local supermarket, Stop and Shop, just installed new scanners and the morons didn't install ones that can do Android/Apple pay, yet my closer Latino supermarket has them and they work wonderfully fast

I thought the same about my grocery store, the new terminals they installed last summer/fall had ZERO indication of supporting NFC payments. Last week it was turned on, an icon now shows on the screen to indicate where to tap for payment.

DannyDefinit

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I used Android Pay to get that $20 Best Buy gift card.

Unfortunately, I have it linked to my Amazon Visa (Chase) credit card, which is an unsupported card in Android Pay, so I'm also required to enter a PIN at the terminal.

Makes the entire process pointless, compared to simply pulling out my physical credit card.

Sturm Rider

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
I use it every time I am able. Much faster then the chip cards, but I wish it had the additional feature Samsung Pay has. I think eventually it may show up if Google and Samsung can come to some sort of agreement.

the gator

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've always considered handing a vendor my debit card was easier than giving them my phone, so I just never got into Android Pay. I also read got inferior it is to Samsung Pay, so it's just a feature that never interested me.

Are any of you guys using it on your 6p? And if so, which specific features make it easier than using your debit card instead?

I use it all the time and never had to hand my phone to anyone.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Tonight I stop by Shell.

I don't know why but they no longer allow customers to use their Smart Phones to pay?!?

So I ask the attendant, he simply don't know and the manager put an end to it.

Okay.

wwwwww717

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
I use it all the time at Tim Horton's, Walgreen's and meijer to be specific and never had issues.

Had to teach the person at drive thru how to use it. Now they all know how it works. some times the technology is available at stores but the person working may not know abt it.

I use my chase sapphire but it seems that I can't add chase cards anymore.

Posted via the Android Central App

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I would use Android Pay if I shopped anywhere that accepted it. I'm still waiting for the ability to use Android Pay at the gas pump.

Emperor

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I use Android Pay a couple times a week. Mainly at Walgreen's, Sports Authority, and Whole Foods. Surprised people in line are still asking ... "Can you show me how to do it on my phone?"

Posted via Nexus 128GB Beast

n0obpr0

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't think I've used it once on my Nexu 6P. I did used it a few times on my Moto X 2013 when it was google wallter.

sidsub

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I have been using Tap and Pay for a while -- had it with what used to be known as Isis (before the terrorist group coopted the name)... that was a collaboration of carriers to do NFC tap and pay. It did change its name (I forget what it became) after Isis became a nasty name, but then went out of business last year. Then I had Google Wallet until Google decided to rebrand its tap and pay service as Android Pay. The main difference now is that you no longer have to open the app because the OS itself is set up to pass NFC taps through to the Android Pay app as long as you've set it up.

Anyway, in all those years, it was never particularly convenient because of all the steps in opening apps or putting in security codes, etc. The current changes in Android Pay have made it easier but unless there's a saturation level of acceptance that allows one to leave one's wallet at home, it will never truly replace cards. With the advent of chip card readers however, tap and pay is actually getting more convenient in comparison with chip cards because of the longer process of inserting the card into the reader interacting with the card reader and then removing the card. When Trader Joe's went to the chip card readers recently, I found that tap and pay finally became a more convenient option in comparison. Still, as long as we're at the low acceptance rates we currently have, you still have to carry your wallet, which means you're going to be pulling out your cards at 70 or 80% of merchants that you're interacting with, in which case... what's the point of having the extra payment method on the phone? (I'll admit I do it because I'm a geek and curious about these things, but most people aren't).

Fedway

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I use it all the time. It's actually much faster to pull out the phone and touch the Nexus Imprint sensor than it is to open my wallet and pull out and use a credit card. Especially now that you have to insert the card and wait for the terminal to read the chip and approve the transaction. It's also really nice to have an electronic purchase record of every purchase.

flintlock

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I used Google wallet on my S3 several years ago. It was convenient for small purchases because the app kept a transaction record. It was interesting to see clerk reactions.

Oddly Verizon or somebody didn't want an S3 to be able to do this so we had to edit build.prop to make the phone think it was a galaxy nexus.

It worked wherever those card readers with the wifi icon were. Those are still rare and with the advent of the new chip readers I think they'll get rarer yet.

Is Android Pay the same thing? I notice the play store tells me it's not compatible with my phone. It would probably work fine with another build.prop edit.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Now that Apple Pay has taken off, I'm able to use Android Pay more often since they both require NFC and Apple's halo effect helps technology adoption. Amazing in 2016 that people are still blown away when I pay with my phone, like it's magic or something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayleepalmer90