AOD not turning off in pocket...

WizeGuyDezignz

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else notice this? I think it was already mentioned, but I believe it was within another thread. If there is already another thread about this, I apologize.

I started my shift at work today with the phone fully charged at 100%. I pretty much didn't use the phone at all until my lunch break which was 4.5 hours later. My battery was at 85%.

I looked at my battery stats and AOD was active for almost all of those 4.5 hours. The phone was in my pocket. I use the AOD always on option.

It's obvious to say that this caused a lot of unnecessary battery drain. I put a piece of paper over the sensor and sure enough AOD didn't turn off.

Has anyone else noticed this and/or can test it? Is it a software bug?

Thank you!

lindajm22

Mar 15, 2018
Visit site
I have noticed this also. I keep my phone face down at night and AOD would turn off, then turn back on again when it sensed that I picked it up. It's not doing that and I can't find any setting to do that.

Ecm

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You can change the settings for AOD. Go to Always on Display, Display mode. Select Tap to Show.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Try toggling this switch on and off. Its found in the display settings.

Didn't work. AOD only dims when the phone is laying on its face or in a pocket, it doesn't shut off completely whether that setting is switched on or off. Strange... my Note 9 on OneUI does still shut-off completely in those situations.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I think there is something wrong with the proximity sensor.
I tested it next to my S9 Plus that I still have.

Both face up.
Covered the sensors at the top with a blanket.
Used power button to turn off both.
The S9 screen stayed off.
The S10 AOD came on.

I sent feedback info about this to Samsung through the app. Others have done the same.
Hope it is found and fixed in an update.

Mav. :cool:

WizeGuyDezignz

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I think there is something wrong with the proximity sensor.
I tested it next to my S9 Plus that I still have.

Both face up.
Covered the sensors at the top with a blanket.
Used power button to turn off both.
The S9 screen stayed off.
The S10 AOD came on.

I sent feedback info about this to Samsung through the app. Others have done the same.
Hope it is found and fixed in an update.

Mav. :cool:

I also sent feedback to Samsung. Thank you for the info!

willson05

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
I wonder if the 'test mode' as per S6 (yes thats what I'm still on...) works for this phone. It enables testing of Proximity sensor.

From the 'dialer app' enter *#0*#

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I confirmed this on my s10 plus as well. AOD does not turn off in my pocket, flipped over, manually cover proximity sensor. Not cool

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Maybe it's got to do with how the ultrasonic sensor works?

Previous S the home button on the lock screen is hidden and activated by pressure with haptic feedback so can't activate without a bit of pressure in that spot.

The ultrasonic sensor is not pressure activated, yet it activates without having to wake screen by sensing touch over FPS. When in pocket, it could be sensing skin pressed through fabric against leg? (phone in pocket screen side against leg)

I confirmed this on my s10 plus as well. AOD does not turn off in my pocket, flipped over, manually cover proximity sensor. Not cool

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I'm thinking this is what is causing my battery to be mediocre. It lasts a full day, but it's still not as good as my note 9. When I get home from work I'm at 50% or less with minimal use AMD only bt music. With my note 9 I was always at around 70%. With the new chip and a bigger battery I expected better. I guess it's one of the many trade offs of being an early adopter of a completely redesigned high end phone.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I've noticed this also, hopefully next update get fixed must be a bug.. just curious where is the proximity sensor between the cameras?

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I am pretty sure a read somewhere that there was a big and that it wasn't sitting off... Should be able to fix with an update

Liquid_Chaos87

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking this is what is causing my battery to be mediocre. It lasts a full day, but it's still not as good as my note 9. When I get home from work I'm at 50% or less with minimal use AMD only bt music. With my note 9 I was always at around 70%. With the new chip and a bigger battery I expected better. I guess it's one of the many trade offs of being an early adopter of a completely redesigned high end phone.

This. My 2 year old S8+ had better battery life than a brand new S10+. And the battery size between the two is pretty significant. I also have that Always on Edge app for the camera LED notification light. That drains the battery as well, even when the phone is not in use. I hope Samsung comes out with their version quickly and puts out an update.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djboulette