Apex, Nova, or Sense

oehrensperger

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I switched to Apex a while ago because I got tired of Sense reloads. Keeping it in memory let it rarely have to reload. And when it did, I could still scroll through the home screens while the widgets/apps got populated, which never took more than 2 seconds. I also liked the stock feel to it, obviously. After the Sense 4.1 update, I tried Sense again and have been pretty happy with it. Reloads rarely occur, and while I still can't scroll through the screens for sometimes up to 5 seconds, the cohesive design between the HTC widgets, dock, HTC apps and the pull down menu make up for the occasional inconvenience. The lack of scrolling and app drawer lag is appreciated as well.

bas.androiddev

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't buy HTC's because of sense. Huge memory hog and it wastes resources. And the reason multitasking is awful on the phone. Good thing is, we have choices. There is a flavor of Android for everyone.

I dont mind the UI aspects of Sense, but I despise all the micro management bs that they jam into it. If HTC would turn sense into a UI only addon (like Nova or Apex) that didnt attempt to tinker with every aspect of their phones, I believe they would be a lot more successful.

- it would free up a lot of precious memory, there is only 1mb on my evo
- it had the ability to be disabled, this would please everyone. Use it or dont, your choice.
- updates would come so much faster, there is much less to have to adapt to new Android OS updates
- less of a threat of lawsuit from Apple if (justified or not) Apple decides there is some "patent" infringement UI aspect in Sense. Easier to patch and/or disable.
- rom creators would be able to create their magical goodness so much faster without having to try to rip out all the embedded Sense nonsense (see what I did there? woo)

errbin

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
went with nova after the jb update made my phone usable and got to keep my scrolling wallpaper

sent from a EVO that survived a Apple attack... thug life

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I've gotten bored with the phone lately so I went back and played with nova again for the first time in months. I hate the sense dock with a passion but all in all I didn't feel like I was getting anything great extra with nova over sense so for the time being I'll stay with sense.

That being said I did download widget locker the other day and I'm loving having a different lock screen. I get more functionality and a different look and feel as well. I don't see myself giving that up anytime soon. Just a recommendation.

Andras

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I've gotten bored with the phone lately so I went back and played with nova again for the first time in months. I hate the sense dock with a passion but all in all I didn't feel like I was getting anything great extra with nova over sense so for the time being I'll stay with sense.

That being said I did download widget locker the other day and I'm loving having a different lock screen. I get more functionality and a different look and feel as well. I don't see myself giving that up anytime soon. Just a recommendation.

Just an FYI....if you start to have problems with your multitouch function on your phone(most noticable with games) it's the widget locker lock screen. There are threads out there about it. Hell even the stock No Lock Screen gives issues.

whymista

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I use apex on my photon q and I love it. Almost never reloads, the transitions are more the fast enough and I have mine on the default speed. I have widgets and a ton of icons on the home page and never have lag. Nova I didn't like the folders and the fact you had to pay to be able to hide aps in the app drawer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotifyWord