App installation problems on BBv0.2.1

pstinger

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Okay. So I had some problems with putting Apps on the SD card (icons missing, things 'not installed on my phone', etc.). I want to move everything off, but it won't let me; example:

Evernote.

It's listed in the 'On SD card' list as "com.evernote" and when I tap into it to move it, the button is grayed out and only says 'move'; all the storage sizes stay at computing, etc. I try uninstalling, and it just sits at the uninstalling progress bar forever without doing anything (NOTE: the phone is NOT frozen as I can leave the manage apps screen; when I come back it's like it's opening for the first time).

So I figured I'd try installing it again, since it wasn't registering as on the device; it downloads from the market fine, but just 'installs' forever without any progress. I figure there is a problem with apps on my SD card (since Buglessbeast installs there automatically). BUT... some of the apps on the card work just fine and go between card and phone without a problem.

Thoughts on how to fix this and what the problem/cause is are greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: Okay, so moving apps between card and phone doesn't work, but some of them run from the card just fine.

Last edited:

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Maybe try rebooting and see if it'll let you move it. There is a workaround with the 3rd party launchers which is to Force stop or restart the launcher and the apps will appear in the app drawer and the icons for shortcuts will appear correctly. It has to be done after every reboot though. To permanently fix the problems, you can use a terminal emulator and tell it to only install to the phone memory by typing:
su
pm setInstallLocation 1

If you get a pm message not found, type
su
cd system/bin
sh pm setInstallLocation 1

sethjk

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I'm going to guess you're using a launcher- either launcher pro or adb...
If that's the case, for some reason they don't recognize right away your apps that are on the sd card. I don't know why. The only solution is basically to clear the defualts under your launcher, go back to stock (don't click make default) and then reenable your launcher of choice. This led me to stop storing my apps on the sd card.
Also, apparently there's an issue with downloading the new google maps with froyo. I can't and many others haven't been able to either.

pstinger

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
It's not a launcher issue, though I am using a launcher. It's not a matter of the launcher not seeing the apps... it's a matter of Settings>Applications>Manage not seeing the apps properly.

gujupmp88

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to guess you're using a launcher- either launcher pro or adb...
If that's the case, for some reason they don't recognize right away your apps that are on the sd card. I don't know why. The only solution is basically to clear the defualts under your launcher, go back to stock (don't click make default) and then reenable your launcher of choice. This led me to stop storing my apps on the sd card.
Also, apparently there's an issue with downloading the new google maps with froyo. I can't and many others haven't been able to either.

if you're using launcher pro, all you have to do is press the menu button and then preferences and restart the launcher, everything will show up fine after that. haven't used adb or helix in awhile so i'm not sure if they have a restart function, but i'm guessing they do. this is a lot easier then clearing defaults and then resetting the default.

pstinger

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
@gujupmp88 - tried that multiple times before I posted here, didn't fix it.

@PJnc284 - tried, no luck.

Problem solved, though. Solution, you ask? Pulling the card, putting it into a card reader, running scan disk, fixing the bad cluster that was found... weird, eh?

But I have figured out WHY launchers have trouble with apps on the card... the launcher is loaded into memory before the card is scanned and mounted to the internal system. When the launcher loads, the apps genuinely don't exist. Resetting the launcher fixes the issue (however you choose to do it); launcher pro has a menu option to reload.

gujupmp88

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
@gujupmp88 - tried that multiple times before I posted here, didn't fix it.

@PJnc284 - tried, no luck.

Problem solved, though. Solution, you ask? Pulling the card, putting it into a card reader, running scan disk, fixing the bad cluster that was found... weird, eh?

But I have figured out WHY launchers have trouble with apps on the card... the launcher is loaded into memory before the card is scanned and mounted to the internal system. When the launcher loads, the apps genuinely don't exist. Resetting the launcher fixes the issue (however you choose to do it); launcher pro has a menu option to reload.

thats odd, i use launcher pro, and it works everytime. whenever i reboot my phone, all my apps on my sd card don't show up on my homescreen or in the launcher. but when i go to preferences and restart, everything shows up just fine.

pstinger

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I get that too... but my issue wasn't that. It was that they didn't even register when you go into Settings>Applications>Manage Applications let alone in the launcher.

The restarting of the launcher fixes the homescreen/appdrawer issue, though.

pstinger

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, weirdness. But it's fixed now and hasn't happened again. Probably some install foible somewhere that corrupted a cluster and made the system get all janky about accessing the card.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
menblattcard