AR 4G LTE Markets

One Radical Dude

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Re: Little Rock/Central AR LTE

It's possible. It can't be any longer than two months for LTE to expand at the latest. I've been checking my device to see if the 4G symbol would display. I've not seen it yet in the areas that do not have LTE (except near Haskell, but that was just a test).

palmdroid1

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

This backward state we live in is a big reason we haven't seen more expansions in Arkansas. I wouldn't be surprised if approval is what is holding us up here, and probably in Paragould too. In January, one of the tower companies tried to get approval to build a new tower here to provide AT&T HSPA+, AT&T sucks here. When you walk in a building, signal is gone. They need that tower. Well, one of the board members, who is (no lie) in his 80's, happened to live next to the proposed site, he cried fears that the tower would fall on his house. I have never heard of a tower falling. The company wanting to build the tower explained, in the very unlikely event that something caused the tower to fail, that it is designed to collapse into itself within the fenced in compound. That wasn't enough. They just approved this tower last month, but for a new location a block down the road from the original site.
Paragould has the slowest cable internet, probably in the country. The entire town is fed with 310 MBPS. The cable company is a locally owned and ran monopoly, that ran the other cable co outta town with cheaper prices, then jacked the prices when competition was gone. They're controlled by a very corrupt city board. And they fight any new provider wanting to offer high bandwidth service in the area. 3 major cable providers have tried to set up service there, but are always voted down. You can only get AT&T dsl in a few limited parts of the town, because of a non-competition agreement with the cable co, as they purchase that 310 MBPS from AT&T. So I bet they're fighting tooth and nail to keep LTE out of that town. Everyone is fed up with 40 a month for 2 MBPS and actually getting .8 or .9 on a good day. Even my technically challenged friends there realize how awful it is, but no one can really do anything about it. When you call the cable co about slow service, their solution is to move you to the 65 dollar a month 6 MBPS package, where you actually get about 1.5 down and 256k up.
Sorry for the long post, just pointing out how backwards Arkansas is. Maybe once the "good ole' boys" get too old to work or die off, we'll start to see progress!

One Radical Dude

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

Harrison (in Northern AR) will be among the markets to get LTE on Thursday (you can check the press releases page for new markets and expansions). Once again, cites in Central AR, such as Benton, Hot Springs, Malvern, Sheridan, Russellville, etc.are still stuck in 3G-only land.

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Arkansas politicians are probably trying to figure out way to impose a new tax to shut down another business

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Central Forums

palmdroid1

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

This might be a little immature, but I'm pissed that Harrison got it. Harrison is the most backward, redneck, KKK lovin bunch of horrible people I ever saw in my life. One of my buddies stopped at a gas station there and the lady asked him where he was from, and he answered Sheridan, and she actually had the audacity to ask "You got them black folk there don't ya?" Then bragged that they run them outta town. Like being a stupid racist is something to be proud of.
They should've got it in Hot Springs, so when I'm there in a couple of months I can surf w/ LTE. :) hehehe

Regardless, I'm glad to see it's continuing to grow. Even if it has to be in the armpit of Arkansas.

One Radical Dude

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

Eureka Springs was included in the Harrison launch, and in places between the two cities.

Not sure how cities are selected, but unfortunately, reasons that upgrades can be delayed would be that you have issues with the contractors, the cities issuing permits, and in some places in the US -- the NIMBYs (which stands for "Not In My Backyard". They complain about cell sites affecting property values or have an issue with them upgrading networks for whatever reason.).

palmdroid1

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

The "not in my backyard" is absolutely a problem in this state. People have such irrational, unfounded fears of things they don't understand. Agree with you there, that's probably another part of the slow progression of LTE in Arkansas.

palmdroid1

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

YAY!!!! 4G LTE was turned on here around 5 o'clock this afternoon. So very excited! Hope Verizon is showing you guys down there in central AR some love. I'm not sure if Paragould got it, but for sure, it's on here in Blytheville, and in Jonesboro. Getting an average of around 20 down and 13-15 up, w/ pings between 80 and 100 ms. So ping didn't drop much, but the speed sure is awesome!!!

One Radical Dude

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

YAY!!!! 4G LTE was turned on here around 5 o'clock this afternoon. So very excited! Hope Verizon is showing you guys down there in central AR some love. I'm not sure if Paragould got it, but for sure, it's on here in Blytheville, and in Jonesboro. Getting an average of around 20 down and 13-15 up, w/ pings between 80 and 100 ms. So ping didn't drop much, but the speed sure is awesome!!!

Congrats on getting the LTE. :) Unfortunatey, as of 2am, I'm still in 3G land at home, and Hot Springs is still stuck in 3G land, too -- I was there a few hours ago. I'd like to see LTE in my location before going on the road next week. I get the feeling it won't be happening.

palmdroid1

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

Well, I woke up to No G. No service at all. Then 1X, then 4G, then nothing again. So I guess they're either fine tuning or having trouble. I hope they weren't just teasing us! I am 60 miles away right now so not sure.

palmdroid1

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

Service was bad Saturday, constantly off and on. Since its been fine. Averaging around 30 down and 15 up. Its very nice. Hope ya'll get it soon!

One Radical Dude

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

That's great news. I'm currently not in the state right now, so I won't know if/when my city gets it or the wait continues. I am, however, visiting an LTE location.

One Radical Dude

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
New cities and markets in Arkansas this month will include the Russellville area, South AR (Camden, El Dorado, Magnolia, etc.), and Blytheville. For those in the Benton/Hot Springs/Malvern/Arkadelphia/Sheridan areas, the wait continues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CsPerry