Are you still sticking with your 2014 Moto X?

Are you sticking with your 2014 Moto X?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I tried out and returned my Note 5 on the 14th (last eligible) day. I can't believe Samsung can't get Bluetooth to work properly.

Back to the X 2014 - feels more comfortable. Motorola sent me another replacement -- this battery seems better initially.

Now on the waiting list for the new Nexus 6P.

Almost said 'screw it' and ordered a 6S Plus.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 6P ordered but est. delivery not until mid-November. Project Fi sim already on the way. Goodbye big red. Don't let the door hit you...

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Sadly, there isn't a real appealing phone on the market now IMO, so I'm hanging on to my 2014 X for a while, though I may try a N5X if I get too antsy to wait for next year's flagships.

Pretty disappointed in Moto, and don't expect to buy another phone from them, unless they get another Nexus and it's 5.2 or smaller.

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
For now. I cant see a reason to buy something else. Anyway its almost xmas and there should be some good price drops on competing phones..

bcandiolo

May 31, 2015
Visit site
I was about to purchase an iPhone 5s, not convinced with the size and battery performance. I'm glad I chose the Moto X2. Very fast, screen is great and form factor is great, thinner and rounded shape makes it very comfortable. Battery is enough, after a work day with normal use I'm getting home with 50%

C5Longhorn

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I went ahead and ordered a Nexus 6P. I've like my Moto X (2014) but want a better camera and quicker software updates.

Rick

Posted via the Android Central App

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I still have my Moto X 2014 as a backup phone, and I love it, but the battery life was getting too short and I finally decided after both Moto X models that I was done with sealed batteries until I have no choice at all.

Currently rocking a Note 4. TouchWiz is a lot better than it used to be, but still pretty much blows. Slow updates. But the battery is a complete rockstar (and I can carry spares!), I can put SD cards in it, and I have fallen head over heels in love with S-Pen.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I still have my Moto X 2014 as a backup phone, and I love it, but the battery life was getting too short and I finally decided after both Moto X models that I was done with sealed batteries until I have no choice at all.

Currently rocking a Note 4. TouchWiz is a lot better than it used to be, but still pretty much blows. Slow updates. But the battery is a complete rockstar (and I can carry spares!), I can put SD cards in it, and I have fallen head over heels in love with S-Pen.

robtani

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I was super close to placing an order for the Nexus 5X just because of the good camera but couldn't pull the trigger because other than the camera, it's not really much of an upgrade. So, now I'm thinking I should wait till 2016 for the more revolutionary Qualcomm 820 processor to hit the phones. But either way, think I'm done with Motorola. This new Moto X 2015 was a terrible disappointment. Not everyone wants a giant in his/her hand\s.

jm101

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Moto X 2014 Pure Edition is still working fine for me. Just wondering how long it will take to get Marshmallow. :D

tamwyn

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to stick with mine for a while longer. I'm still hoping that they change their minds and update it. If they don't, I'll definitely switch brands for my next phone though.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Dated the Nexus 6P and Project Fi for a week. Wanted to fall in love but it just didn't happen. P-Fi data was spotty to non-existent at my home. Most times Speedtest couldn't even connect to servers. Stuck my VZW sim in the N6P with no problems activating VoLTE etc. No Visual Voicemail yet. But...

While a really wanted to love the 6P little things just soured me. Ambient Display is an unusable disaster compared to Moto Display. Have no BT in my car so I missed Moto Drive mode for calls and texts. Audio DAC is very poor and no aptX = horrible audio to my Sony SBH80s. And it's bigger than I'd prefer, something I'd tolerate if it wasn't for these little things that are a big part of my usage.

Things I'll miss - Doze is the real deal. You can take it off the charger full before going to bed and have 98% the next morning. Rest of 6.0 is meh - used GN on tap once, it's nice but not a gamechanger yet; Didn't get into the permissions ability; prefer the 5.1.x interruptions menu options. Fingerprint reader is awesome.

All in all, the Moto X is still a better fit for my needs. Still pretty salty about no VoLTE and never getting 6.0 (Doze in particular). Don't see better sized N5X as a step up and it'll suffer the same little problems as the 6P. Just my 2 cents. YMMV.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I still have mine for a backup phone, I use my phone a lot at work and I work field service so I'm not at a desk all day to keep the phone charged. The battery life on the Moto X has been and is the biggest problem I've had with this phone. Battery is just to small and the resale value of these is not worth the trouble putting it on eBay.

bigguy_132

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
Getting rid of mine. Not having simultaneous voice and data is a big thing for me and one that I miss. Especially one promised from day one. Moto not updating this phone after 1 year also leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Battery can't even last me 5 hours these days so I am frustrated beyond belief with that. The camera is also terrible in this phone and one that I have never been impressed with.

Debating going iPhone, Nexus, or potentially LG. Haven't decided yet.

C5Longhorn

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Dated the Nexus 6P and Project Fi for a week. Wanted to fall in love but it just didn't happen. P-Fi data was spotty to non-existent at my home. Most times Speedtest couldn't even connect to servers. Stuck my VZW sim in the N6P with no problems activating VoLTE etc. No Visual Voicemail yet. But...

While a really wanted to love the 6P little things just soured me. Ambient Display is an unusable disaster compared to Moto Display. Have no BT in my car so I missed Moto Drive mode for calls and texts. Audio DAC is very poor and no aptX = horrible audio to my Sony SBH80s. And it's bigger than I'd prefer, something I'd tolerate if it wasn't for these little things that are a big part of my usage.

Things I'll miss - Doze is the real deal. You can take it off the charger full before going to bed and have 98% the next morning. Rest of 6.0 is meh - used GN on tap once, it's nice but not a gamechanger yet; Didn't get into the permissions ability; prefer the 5.1.x interruptions menu options. Fingerprint reader is awesome.

All in all, the Moto X is still a better fit for my needs. Still pretty salty about no VoLTE and never getting 6.0 (Doze in particular). Don't see better sized N5X as a step up and it'll suffer the same little problems as the 6P. Just my 2 cents. YMMV.
Thanks for the comparison to the 6p. I have a 6p also on order and if it doesn't really impress me, I will probably return it and just stick with the Moto X.

Slow_S10

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I also ordered a 6P and while I am excited to get it I already know I am going to miss Moto's software. They have genuinely been some of the best unobtrusive additions to stock Android. I love the ambient display and having the phone respond as soon as I reach for it. Also I used the twist-to-launch camera and chop for flashlight gestures constantly and they have genuinely been super useful. But at the end of the day I need more storage space than my current Moto X so I needed an upgrade one way or the other. While I seriously considered the new Moto X pure, at the end of the day the hardware and specs of the 6P won me over. The jury is still out on if it is the right phone for me but after reading the reviews it sounds like it is going to be a winner.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
My Moto X 2014 is now a security camera (thanks to the Alfred app). I could semi-retire the phone because the Nexus 6P is just too damn awesome to send back. I mean ... It's Apple iPhone level.

I was surprised how good the 6P feels in the hand (I have average-sized hands at best); I can still use the 6P with one hand.

Greatsrj23

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I just bought the Moto X Pure after having the Moto X 2013 for almost two years. I love everything about the phone but the size. I've made a couple comments on here about it already. I was just thinking about getting the 2014 because it's smaller but would still be an upgrade over the 2013.

So if i'm reading this correct...data doesn't work while on a call on Verizon network? It does on the 2013. I also read that it might get the upgrade to Marshmallow so that would be a plus.

Last edited:

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I just bought the Moto X Pure after having the Moto X 2013 for almost two years. I love everything about the phone but the size. I've made a couple comments on here about it already. I was just thinking about getting the 2014 because it's smaller but would still be an upgrade over the 2013.

So if i'm reading this correct...data doesn't work while on a call? It does on the 2013. I also read that it might get the upgrade to Marshmallow so that would be a plus.

The Pure Edition 2014 Moto X is definitely getting the update to 6.0.

As to data and voice, I do have 3G data while I'm on the phone on T-Mobile. I believe the data and voice conflict is exclusive to Verizon's model (don't quote me on that, I'm unsure).

Greatsrj23

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
The Pure Edition 2014 Moto X is definitely getting the update to 6.0.

As to data and voice, I do have 3G data while I'm on the phone on T-Mobile. I believe the data and voice conflict is exclusive to Verizon's model (don't quote me on that, I'm unsure).

I was referring to Verizon phones. I edited my post to reflect that. That would be odd since the Moto X 2013 lets me talk on the phone and be on 4G too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bawan maviya