Assistant Reminders Freezing

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

When I open any given reminder on my phone, whether from a notification or from the reminders list, the screen which ensues is almost entirely unresponsive.

All attempts to edit any reminder fail to produce a response, as does the back button (within the app, not the phone's back button).

Occasionally the delete button will work, but only rarely. Repeat attempts to press buttons results in the "Google isn't responding" alert.

This was occurring prior to my reinstall of the OS a few weeks ago (undertaken in part because of this issue), and continues now. I have tried emptying the cache and storage, as well as re-installing the app, to no avail. I even tried cussing at it!

Other than this issue, the phone is quite stable, and I'm running the final update of Android 11. All assistance will be appreciated.

jaydubbitydub

Jan 28, 2021
Visit site
Re: Kizzy Catwoman: My phone is working fine in all respects other than the issue I described.

Re: B. Diddy and mustang7757: I've never booted in safe mode and after several minutes of tinkering, I can't get Assistant to work at all.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Re: Kizzy Catwoman: My phone is working fine in all respects other than the issue I described.

Re: B. Diddy and mustang7757: I've never booted in safe mode and after several minutes of tinkering, I can't get Assistant to work at all.
Hi, then go to Google app and long press it then tap info>go to storage and tap>clear data then force stop it

jaydubbitydub

Jan 28, 2021
Visit site
Well, as I said in my original post, I did a reinstall a few weeks ago at least partly because I was experiencing this issue. Perhaps it would make more sense for me to look for other apps to use as a workaround rather than reinstalling again even though a reinstall has already failed as a solution.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Well, as I said in my original post, I did a reinstall a few weeks ago at least partly because I was experiencing this issue. Perhaps it would make more sense for me to look for other apps to use as a workaround rather than reinstalling again even though a reinstall has already failed as a solution.
So safe mode you haven't tried yet?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The fact that it happens in Safe Mode would suggest that there's something wonky with the firmware. I was going to suggest a factory reset, but I saw that you had already suggested it, and I assume the OP tried that (they mentioned "reinstall," by which I assume they mean a factory reset).

The only other thing I can suggest is to try manually installing a fresh copy of the firmware, in case the copy on the phone has become corrupt: https://developers.google.com/android/ota (Unless that's what the OP meant by a "reinstall.")

jaydubbitydub

Jan 28, 2021
Visit site
Please forgive my imprecise language. By "reinstall," I meant a factory reset. If I install a fresh copy of the firmware, will that also have the effect of a reset, or will I otherwise have to restore and reconfigure my apps?