AT&T Phone seems network-locked to Straight Talk and they won't help

LarryLounge

Apr 24, 2022
Visit site
I attempted to activate an open-box Samsung a32 with Straight Talk. The activation failed, but now the phone refuses to accept its original AT&T sim (which worked when I got the phone), and the phone tells me that my phone isn't allowed to use [the AT&T] SIM card and asks me for an unlock code. Straight Talk hasn't been helpful and refuses to provide an unlock code.

I tried the AT&T online unlock which reports '"Looks like the device you want to unlock is active on another AT&T account. The owner has to remove it from their account first." No clue if that's actually true or if the unlock routine just found the phone locked to another carrier and gave me an all-purpose response.

Any suggestions on how/if I can get this phone unlocked and/or restored back to its factory network selection?

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Where did you purchase this phone? Have you contacted the seller? It could be blacklisted because the seller still owes money on the phone.

LarryLounge

Apr 24, 2022
Visit site
Where did you purchase this phone? Have you contacted the seller? It could be blacklisted because the seller still owes money on the phone.

I bought it off eBay and the IMEI comes back as clean from the two free tools I found online. The phone was listed as open-box but the seller seems to know the phone's original purchaser and is trying to get info on the AT&T unlock message about the phone being active on another account. I expect to hear back on that front tomorrow.

It was sold as returnable so I may be able to get a refund, but I'd feel kind of guilty since it seems like my activation attempt caused the phone to be network locked with another carrier. That's why I'm wondering about removing the Straight Talk lock; at least then, I could return it in the same condition as when I received it.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I bought it off eBay and the IMEI comes back as clean from the two free tools I found online. The phone was listed as open-box but the seller seems to know the phone's original purchaser and is trying to get info on the AT&T unlock message about the phone being active on another account. I expect to hear back on that front tomorrow.

It was sold as returnable so I may be able to get a refund, but I'd feel kind of guilty since it seems like my activation attempt caused the phone to be network locked with another carrier. That's why I'm wondering about removing the Straight Talk lock; at least then, I could return it in the same condition as when I received it.
Welcome to AC!
The phone is locked to Att so return it back nothing to feel guilty as it's not a unlocked device and they will have to figure on how to unlock to resale.

LarryLounge

Apr 24, 2022
Visit site
Welcome to AC!
The phone is locked to Att so return it back nothing to feel guilty as it's not a unlocked device and they will have to figure on how to unlock to resale.

I'm willing to accept your premise but if the phone is locked to AT&T, why is it telling me I can't use an AT&T sim in it? It doesn't complain about being locked when it has the Straight Talk sim, only when I try to boot it with its original AT&T sim.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm willing to accept your premise but if the phone is locked to AT&T, why is it telling me I can't use an AT&T sim in it? It doesn't complain about being locked when it has the Straight Talk sim, only when I try to boot it with its original AT&T sim.
Sounds like it's black listed then

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The IMEI comes up clean when I look it up, and I don't know how being blacklisted would cause it to choke on an AT&T sim that it was happy with 12 hours earlier.
I wouldn't trust those free IMEI checker as lot shady stuff out there , being black listed is it won't work on Att network because either was stolen or not paid off

tismydroid

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: AT&T Phone seems network-locked to Straight Talk and they won't help

You could try swappa's IMEI tool. That may be more reliable. And would it be possible that it needs to be cleared from your own account with straight talk or AT&T before you can use AT&T's sim? Go through the process of clearing your account details from the phone and factory reset.

LarryLounge

Apr 24, 2022
Visit site
Well, this is embarrassing but it turns out I had the wrong SIM in the phone all this time; I think it was a Straight Talk Verizon-network sim that had failed to activate the week before. Once I got a fresh sim from the AT&T store, I was able to activate the phone and get my number ported over this afternoon.

Sorry about wasting everybody's time on this!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Well, this is embarrassing but it turns out I had the wrong SIM in the phone all this time; I think it was a Straight Talk Verizon-network sim that had failed to activate the week before. Once I got a fresh sim from the AT&T store, I was able to activate the phone and get my number ported over this afternoon.

It happens, glad everything worked out

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

I'm glad you got it sorted. Enjoy your new phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d