audio files not showing up in Google Play Music and File Manager (Android 9)

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have a Nokia 5.1 running Android 9 and I can't seem to find a way to access my music through Google Play Music or File Manager. All the music is downloaded on the SD card. There is no .nomedia file in the root of my SD and I have tried both umounting it and restarting the phone with no results. All the songs are .mp3 and I had no trouble accessing them with my last phone Nokia 5 (Android 9)

stella001

Aug 21, 2019
Visit site
I can see everything that's on my SD card except the audio files. When I go to Google Files > Audio it says "No Media Found" while normally listing my other media files (video,photos,docs,etc).

Google Play Music was set on Internal Storage but I had already thought of moving some songs there while trying to fix it and it didn't find those either.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You mentioned that a .nomedia file isn't present on the root directory of the SD, but what about the folder where the music files are saved to? Or are all the music files on the root directory?

stella001

Aug 21, 2019
Visit site
There isn't any .nomedia file in my music directory and the File Manager I downloaded had the exact same problem.

Althought I tried moving everything from the SD card to the computer and then back to the SD and all the files appeared in both Files Manager. Then I restarted the phone, the music is still there but still no luck with Google Play Music.

Also, when I try to add a new Ringtone in settings I still can't see the audio files even though the music shows up normally in Files Manager.

Could it possibly be a defective device and not a software problem?
Is there a chance that the problem solves itself if I try Factory Data Reseting it?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It should work. As far as I know, there's no separate SD Storage permission that you'd have to grant to Google Play Music. Go to Settings>Apps, select Google Play Music, and then Storage -- does it show any delineation between internal storage and SD card data there?

For ringtones, make sure the ringtone file is in the /Ringtone directory on Internal Storage -- that's where the system looks.

I'd hold off on a factory reset until we've tried some other things.

stella001

Aug 21, 2019
Visit site
Well honestly I've tried everything I could think of. My sister has a Nokia 5 with Android 9 and she has no such problem.

When the Nokia 5 was in my possesion I could easily change the ringtones from settings. It showed all of my audio files and there was no need to transfer a song to the Ringtone directory.

I should mention that my phone runs Android One, if that's somehow relevant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
menblattcard