Average lifespan of a Flagship phone? Passing on my Note 9 to family

lenpro

Jun 14, 2019
Visit site
So finally upgrading my phone. After almost 3 years of loyal servitude, my Note 9 is finally retiring from my pocket. I've purchased this brand new near the end of 2018. Always in a case with a glass screen protector. Only dropped a few times, mostly in carpet. No damage to screen. Just a few light scratches on the body. Using the latest firmware and always updated as well.

Question is, how long do flagship phones normally last for? How old is your current phone? I'm giving this to a family member, so I'm hoping they would get at least 1 year out of my Note 9, surely? Maybe 2 years if they're lucky? Just so they wouldn't have to buy/pay for a phone at least for a while.

Bonus question: How do you check my battery health? Never really figured this out throughout the 3 years I've had my phone lol. When I go to Settings, Device Care, Battery, it only displays that the battery is charging (when plugged in), or the current battery percentage (the current battery bar). When I go to Battery information I can see 'Battery Status', 'Battery Level' (Also shows current percentage), and 'Battery Capacity'. Is it hiding somewhere? :)

Thank you!

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
IMO there are three main factors in predicting the life expectancy of a device. The manufacturer, how well it was taken care of and the OS version. Samsung is known for making quality flagship devices, so combine that with the fact that you have taken care of the device and you're looking good. The OS version takes a long time to fade away. Just last week there was a question from someone with an Android 5.5 or 6.x where they were having issues accessing the Play Store. Your Note has to be on Android 10 or better so OS wise it should still have a good life ahead of itself.

I don't know the battery health app that gets recommended around here but we'll ask @B. Diddy or @mustang7757. Even if it were to need a new battery the age of the device should play in your favor with the cost of replacement likely not being much more than the cost of the service to replace it. No matter how you slice it though it'll still be much less than a new device and the device is worth the service. I've seen several questions about devices that aren't worth the cost to repair and this wouldn't be one of those.

There really is no way to say 4 years, 5 years because anything could happen, but if it is only needed for 2 years I feel like that isn't a stretch.

What did you get to replace it?

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Accubattery does battery health. I am using an app called Battery Monitor that also check health. But accubattery is the most popular one.

I would try and get a replacement battery if possible for the phone. This will give the phone at least another 2 years of life.

I gave my son my Pixel 2xl 2 years ago and after 4 years it is still running perfectly for him. I got it as a pre-order so it will be 4 years on November 15th this year. (Gosh how do I remember these things but forget what I am saying while I am saying it?)

So a phone can work for a long time if looked after properly. My mum still uses her Note 8 and even her 2 Note 4s. So they can keep going a while.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.digibites.accubattery

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ryosoftware.batterymonitor

trucker3573

May 1, 2019
Visit site
Battery replacement isn’t that expensive. If they do that they will have a phone that will last several more years easy. I’m using an iPhone 7+. This December it will be three years old. Does pretty much everything any other phone does and the battery is still 88%.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Excluding my S7 that I left plugged into a charger constantly as a Hotspot and fried the battery I've yet to have a Samsung phone fail.

My 2012 Note 10 tablet and 2013 Note 3 are still going on original batteries, they have app compatibility issues and are ridiculously slow, but still work. Using my Note 10 as an alarm clock battery still lasts over 3 weeks which amazes me.

Personally I don't bank or shop on a device no longer current with security updates which the Note 9 has one year of support left, but it will probably be another 3 years before it begins having app compatibility issues.

lenpro

Jun 14, 2019
Visit site
"IMO there are three main factors in predicting the life expectancy of a device. The manufacturer, how well it was taken care of and the OS version. Samsung is known for making quality flagship devices, so combine that with the fact that you have taken care of the device and you're looking good. The OS version takes a long time to fade away. Just last week there was a question from someone with an Android 5.5 or 6.x where they were having issues accessing the Play Store. Your Note has to be on Android 10 or better so OS wise it should still have a good life ahead of itself.

I don't know the battery health app that gets recommended around here but we'll ask @B. Diddy or @mustang7757. Even if it were to need a new battery the age of the device should play in your favor with the cost of replacement likely not being much more than the cost of the service to replace it. No matter how you slice it though it'll still be much less than a new device and the device is worth the service. I've seen several questions about devices that aren't worth the cost to repair and this wouldn't be one of those.

There really is no way to say 4 years, 5 years because anything could happen, but if it is only needed for 2 years I feel like that isn't a stretch.

What did you get to replace it?"

Thanks. Good to hear that it still has a chance to live for a few more years! Not sure yet, thinking about the Galaxy Flip or Fold. Or maybe another Note haha!

lenpro

Jun 14, 2019
Visit site
Also the Note 9 at then end of monthly security updates , so until next year will receive quarterly updates and then that will be it. Its one of best phones ive owned .

https://www.sammobile.com/news/galaxy-note-9-august-2021-security-update-download/

Thanks. Yeah, this phone has never failed me. Still snappy and sharp after all this time. And same here, one of my favorite phones ever. I hope the next Note phones in the future would live up to the Note 9s quality and performance!

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Yeah, this phone has never failed me. Still snappy and sharp after all this time. And same here, one of my favorite phones ever. I hope the next Note phones in the future would live up to the Note 9s quality and performance!

That's the amazing thing, it stayed fluid and brilliant through my 3-year run as a primary, and is still serving to run media on. It's a sweet device.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
What a great thread topic! I think a lot of different variables factor into the life expectancy of a device - like battery, daily wear and tear, if it has suffered drops or water damage, if it has somewhat-recent software updates, and how old the device is/how long it's been running.

Even though I baby my devices, a year and a half to two years are usually their lifespans!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I had the best battery life on the Note 9 , 11-12 SOT with 1 day battery

lenpro

Jun 14, 2019
Visit site
Same here. Always in a case, and make sure it's updated regularly. Sad to see this one go, personally, but I'm sure my dad will love it (and I hope it will continue to serve him well for a few more years)!

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174