"Background Data" on/off - where is it now after Verizon OTA update?

808TBolt

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
i just got the ICS upgrade last night

can't figure out where the Background Data is now in Settings. i normally have that unchecked until i want to look for an App in the Play store.

anyone know? TIA :cool:

808TBolt

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Settings>Usage>[menu]>Usage Settings>Restrict background data

I think this is what your looking for?

i just tried this.

thanks for your suggestion but it wasn't what i was looking for

maybe they took this option out all together?

all i know is, i would leave it unchecked and checked it as i needed it when i would down load apps.

after i was done downloading apps, i would go to uncheck it and would get a pop up window saying that disabling background data would save battery life....and some other stuff that i can't remember

but i would normally have background data unchecked to try and save battery life

808TBolt

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: "Background Data" on/off - where is it now after Verizon OTA update?

BTW, the thing i'm referring to i believe was located under: Settings > Accounts & Sync > Background Data

- - - Updated - - -

Swipe down for quick settings, uncheck Mobile Network.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

just tried that. it shuts off your data connection

WinMorgan

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: "Background Data" on/off - where is it now after Verizon OTA update?

Hi...I woke up to this update this a.m. and have the same problem; I think I found the solution. BTW, it really pisses me off that an update does something like this. It's as bad as Steve Jobs little walled-in-garden OS. The original post says it's for LG Spectrum devices. I'm not using an LG Spectrum device; I'm using an HTC Thunderbolt and the solution appears to have worked. Here's the URL where I found the info: LG Spectrum 2 Tips ? “background data restricted” Settings - LG Cell Phones Blog

And here's the info:
"Some guys told me that there is a ?background data restricted? notification after doing the android 4.0 ICS firmware update on their LG Spectrum 2!

Actually ?Restrict background data? is a good feature to stop some apps & services from working unless device is connected to a WI-FI network. Some apps sync in the background, and may cause extra data traffic when using a mobile carrier network. You can enable or disable ?Restrict background data? by:
From home screen->Press Menu button-> Settings -> Data usage -> Tap Menu > Restrict background data. You might have a box open up that says, "Restricting background data is possible only when you?ve set a mobile data limit". Click OK, and check the box "Set mobile data limit", and OK, then set data limit. "You must set this before it will restrict". Now > Tap Menu > Restrict background data.

Done!

You can also ?touch to remove restriction? from the drop down notification panel. This works on all LG Spectrum 2 devices."