Battery drain overnight

bexsta95

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
I am not due for a phone upgrade until November but am trying to make my phone last until then. I don't want to charge it overnight since I heard that it kills the life of the battery. My battery was draining like crazy. I would go to bed with 79% and wake up to a dead phone. That's 8 hours of sleep mind you. So I went on Amazon and bought a new battery. The first couple of days were great. Now it's doing it again. One friend mentioned that it could be from using a generic charger (because I had mentioned to him that my Sprint charger gets it done quick vs. the other that takes almost 8 hours to charge). I am not tech savvy but would love it if someone could walk me through any options to make this S4 Mini last until I can get a new phone.

nhugh406

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
LOL, you use all those cool features when you're sleeping eh? If you're used to getting emails for Work like me, if you're disabling the audio or setting to do not disturb...i just dont see the need for the phone to be constantly syncing overnight. With Airplane mode, i can turn it off as soon as i wake up and everything begins to sync...within seconds.

I feel like a modern device shouldn't require you do shut any services down when it's SUPPOSED to go into deep sleep. Samsung messed up when they sacrificed battery for a thin profile, but this issue is beyond the small battery. If android wants to catch iOS in terms of at least battery consumption, they have to make that the first priority. (and to note, I hate apple, but what they have works, there's no denying that).

Posted via the Android Central App

YoungRitz

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Not sure if this fits in with the topic exactly, but last night i charged my S6 to 100% and then shut it off. This was around 9pm. I wake up at 7am and turn it on, and the battery level is 92%. I guess 8% percent overnight from a full charge isnt that big of a deal, but what if it was at 10% when I shut it off in case of emergency, then turn it back on only for it to be at 2% or worse totally drained. Just seems to me if the phone is off it shouldnt be draining. I've only had the phone since May and this was one of my concerns with getting a phone where you couldnt switch out the battery.

emad1995

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if this fits in with the topic exactly, but last night i charged my S6 to 100% and then shut it off. This was around 9pm. I wake up at 7am and turn it on, and the battery level is 92%. I guess 8% percent overnight from a full charge isnt that big of a deal, but what if it was at 10% when I shut it off in case of emergency, then turn it back on only for it to be at 2% or worse totally drained. Just seems to me if the phone is off it shouldnt be draining. I've only had the phone since May and this was one of my concerns with getting a phone where you couldnt switch out the battery.

My s6 doesn't drain at all when it's off :O

Posted via the Android Central App

Alan Wake1

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
Yeah man mine lost 22% power on safe mode with wifi on...
What is worse is the service center guys say the phone is working fine we found no issue with the battery.

jcthorne#AC

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I just place mine on the wireless charger when I go to bed. Dont worry about how much power it uses while I sleep. It downloads the news feeds for newsbeat for me to listen to on my morning commute and other things at night. Its always at 100% when I pick it up on the way out in the morning.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I just place mine on the wireless charger when I go to bed. Dont worry about how much power it uses while I sleep. It downloads the news feeds for newsbeat for me to listen to on my morning commute and other things at night. Its always at 100% when I pick it up on the way out in the morning.

+1, best method.

Saruya

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
With all that, on a normal day for me at work, I can leave my phone off the charger, and still get about 5+ hours of SOT.

o_O

I can only get a max of 2hrs SOT, and that's with brightness at 30%, wifi or mobile data on, power saving mode on, and no GPS or auto-sync running in the background.

Only been this bad since the 5.1.1 update a couple of months ago , and the battery will randomly discharge and die anywhere under a 50% charge quite often.

I've done a factory reset, and separately wiped the cache partition.

Last night was odd though. It died with 28% charge still left. I put it on charge and went into recovery and wiped the cache partition. It immediately bounced to a 28% charge again on the pre-os charging screen. I booted it up and the charge was at 65%!

SOT was about 1:35 last night from a full 100% charge.

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
o_O

I can only get a max of 2hrs SOT, and that's with brightness at 30%, wifi or mobile data on, power saving mode on, and no GPS or auto-sync running in the background.

Only been this bad since the 5.1.1 update a couple of months ago , and the battery will randomly discharge and die anywhere under a 50% charge quite often.

I've done a factory reset, and separately wiped the cache partition.

Last night was odd though. It died with 28% charge still left. I put it on charge and went into recovery and wiped the cache partition. It immediately bounced to a 28% charge again on the pre-os charging screen. I booted it up and the charge was at 65%!

SOT was about 1:35 last night from a full 100% charge.

Sounds like you have a faulty device

Saruya

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
Well I wiped the cache partition last night, and so far, SO FAR, this morning, I've gotten about 2 hours of screen on time and down to 60%, so that would roughly equate to 5hrs. So here's hoping that's it fixed. Still on the stock rom, with the 5.1.1 OTA update, so hopefully wiping that and fully charging it overnight will have given me back my battery life.

I'd contacted Sammy about it, and when I come back from holiday in 2 weeks, I've a support call ready and waiting to replace it if needed. Like I said, hopefully that is it now fixed, and I don't need to send it away for 2 weeks :)

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
Battery life was so much better on 5.0.2. I was averaging six and a half to even seven hours of screen on time per charge. I regret updating to 5.1.1

Qte

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
Ugh I lost 30% while I slept....battery does not take me through a day...i have to charge it 3 times a day if I need a full day with it. And I don't use it much, as while I'm working it's far too busy to play on my cell phone

Aaron Yegon

Dec 9, 2016
Visit site
Am pretty new in the android world and am really pissed . I got an s6 edge and my 6 year old iphone battery is much better . The phone overheats more while its idle than when am using it . If i charge to 100% in the night i wake up to 46 % which is quit alarming .. i have tried all kinds of energy saving tips including downloading those useless battery saving apps .... i could go on and on .

psco2017

Feb 13, 2017
Visit site
Since I use my cell as primary, if someone needs to reach me, that suggestion is useless for me.
I just leave it plugged in and am good to go in A:M.

Varaloba One

Jan 25, 2018
Visit site
One recent problem I had, was battery drain overnight, Android's "Doze" function was not operating correctly, which I assumed was caused by one of my apps, but which one?
Eventually I found a thread which related to problems with "location", going into settings/connections/locations, you can see what apps have recently requested locations.
The rogue for me, was the UK's "Daily Mail" newspaper app, whose aggressive location request was preventing the phone from sleeping, so removing this from the permissions solved the problem - the app works perfectly well without it, all you need to do is to deny the access from the small dialogue box when opening the app - problem solved!
In addition I use
Naptime https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.franco.doze&hl=en
and also
Greenify https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oasisfeng.greenify&hl=en
For non rooted phones, they both need ADB permissions, but these are easily granted, just follow the instructions.
Hope this may help someone with a similar problem

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rabruslik