Battery Drain Posts Freaking me out!!!

Hypnotic

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Okay I just upgraded on Sprint and got the Note 4 for a frigging $1 a few days ago online at Best Buy. It was time for me to upgrade to a new device from my GS4 and for a $1 I figured what a steal. The Lollipop updated has destroyed my battery life on GS4 but I see so many posts about this happening on the Note 4. Did I make a mistake in getting this device. I have 14 days to return it and save my upgrade. I haven't received my phone. It will be here on Monday. Thoughts?

Gunny94

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Hey, could you show us your battery stats and history with what consumes it? Also can you tell us if you have bad signal in the zones that you go mostly? Technically, after an update on an Android Device it's recommend to clear the Cache Partition or simply factory reset to be 100%. I had this issue after going from Kit Kat to Lollipop I factory reset and it worked just fine :) My friend who simply cleared his cache partition also has it well. Also I recommend you using Greenify to hibernate apps.

Hypnotic

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't have the device yet. It arrives on Monday. The GS4 is the only other Android device I have ever had and it has been amazing for me until it upgraded to lollipop. This will be my daily driver for the next two years. Just want to make sure i'm not having battery issues all the time. If this is the case I will return it within my 14 days and wait out for another device.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't have the device yet. It arrives on Monday. The GS4 is the only other Android device I have ever had and it has been amazing for me until it upgraded to lollipop. This will be my daily driver for the next two years. Just want to make sure i'm not having battery issues all the time. If this is the case I will return it within my 14 days and wait out for another device.

It seems a bit premature to worry about something on a device you haven't even gotten yet. Set it up, use it for 12 days, see how it works for you with the usage conditions and apps you actually use. Or you could hook it up to your 6 bank car battery array and charge it every year :mad:

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
My battery life sucked on Lollipop. The main problem is the connection bug that keeps on draining battery when you open any app that connects to the internet. This only happens when on cellular data, so those that use Wi-Fi a lot will not notice. I never use Wi-fi and it's garbage that this bug has not been fixed yet, and apparently still exists in Android M.

Hypnotic

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Just came from Best Buy. Samsung rep said when I get my note 4 upgrade right away. He says people who have had the note for months have had issues with Lollipop because the device they had has been running kit Kat so long. I dunno. I'm gonna upgrade it and run it for 7 days and take it back before 14 days if I have battery issues. I hope not cause I like this phone.

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Okay I just upgraded on Sprint and got the Note 4 for a frigging $1 a few days ago online at Best Buy. It was time for me to upgrade to a new device from my GS4 and for a $1 I figured what a steal. The Lollipop updated has destroyed my battery life on GS4 but I see so many posts about this happening on the Note 4. Did I make a mistake in getting this device. I have 14 days to return it and save my upgrade. I haven't received my phone. It will be here on Monday. Thoughts?

I've had ZERO battery issues since lollipop. No change for me at all. It's all good. I'm on Verizon.

Posted via the Android Central App

fatyank

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Hypnotic those Samsung reps in Best Buy aren't well informed. My cat knows more about Android than they do. It doesn't matter if your device is straight out of the box or 6 months old. The one in the box may have been sitting around a warehouse for months and be as old or older than the one you have. Do what is advised above. Battery drainage is very subjective. Everybody's usage is different. So many factors to consider: battery condition, cell connection, WiFi, internet connection, apps running in background etc... Battery usage has to be determined by how an individual uses their device. Get it, use it for awhile the way you normally use it. If you feel the battery drains too fast then see what settings you may be able to adjust. I invested in a car charger (no cable), a usb cable and charging block. I have a charger at home and the other I keep with me at all times in a small carry case along with a 6ft USB extension cable. Total cost about $40. I don't worry at all about battery. I just can't waste time about that.
There is a ton of great advice on these Android Central forums from people that actually own and use these devices on a daily basis. Those Samsung reps are there to make a paycheck and will tell you what they need to, to sell you stuff. They're not bad people, they're just trying to get a paycheck.

Posted via Android Central App

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Just came from Best Buy. Samsung rep said when I get my note 4 upgrade right away. He says people who have had the note for months have had issues with Lollipop because the device they had has been running kit Kat so long. I dunno. I'm gonna upgrade it and run it for 7 days and take it back before 14 days if I have battery issues. I hope not cause I like this phone.
I'm cringing just reading what that GeekSquad rep said! If that guy really said that problems were caused because the phone ran KK for so long, then..... :eek:

I recommend that if your phone comes with Kitkat, you use it for a few days to see how you like the interface, battery life, responsiveness, and basically how it runs overall. After that, you can upgrade to Lollipop if you wish and then do a comparison of the two OS's. After you upgrade, be sure to enter "recovery mode" and wipe cache. If you don't do this, then you may experience some issues due to KK still in the system cache. Battery life problems have been attributed to people not wiping cache... at least in a lot of cases as noted in many threads. Lollipop, as an OS, does "appear" to run faster and possibly smoother than KK, also a few options are available in LP that are not in KK. However, the interface will change and unless you run KK first, you won't know what those changes are.

I know you're on Sprint, but I'm going to mention anyways that Verizon has pushed out an OTA that disallows reverting to previous OS's (OAF or KK). If your phone update includes this particular OTA, you will not be able to revert back to either OAF or KK. There is a "safe" LP upgrade posted on XDA using ODIN instead of OTA. It's for Verizon, and possibly ATT (not sure), so you'll have to search it out XDA to be sure. Again, I know you're on Sprint, and I don't know if reverting can even be done on Sprint, so this info is just for the general population.

I'm on VZW and still run KK. I have no problems at all with anything mentioned by people who run LP.

Good luck and enjoy your new phone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bethel