Battery/Notification balance & optimisation

hesketh7085

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,

I received my S7 Edge yesterday and spent HOURS going through every, single, setting to get it how I want it. I want to know what advice you have for maximising the battery life for A.) Daily use, B.) Over the course of its life-time.

I appreciate that I may be spoilt, having come from a Nokia Lumia 920 which could go 2-3 days without needing to be charged with light to moderate use each day, but I am very conscious of getting the maximum out of my phone(s) without compromising on functionality.

I obsessively turn off services and kill apps I'm not using, such as turning off WiFi when I leave the house (and mobile data off upon entering it), or leave location or bluetooth off unless I specifically need it such as to sync a device or navigate to/from somewhere. However now that this device is compatible with my FitBit which I wear every day, I'm now likely to leave Bluetooth on - as my wife does with her S5. She also leaves her internet and WiFi on, wherever she is.

I still want to be able to get notification updates as soon as possible which means background data is probably always syncing - emails, texts, whatsapp, facebook, BBC news. I need it on tap, so I haven't enabled Battery Saver setting as that says it will disrupt app sync unless I specifically open the app I want to sync.

I've turned pretty much every vibrate function off, and use auto-brightness.

Is there anything else I can do to optimise the daily longevity of my battery whilst not compromising on the immediacy of updates?

Also, I used to subscribe to the belief that over-charging a phone would drain the max capacity of the Lithium battery, and that letting it run out of juice before charging was better than keep it hovering in a state of never-empty-but-never-full charge. I've recently read that the opposite is now true:

1.) Lithium-Ion batteries have a limited charge cycle and should not be routinely allowed to run out of power as this will damage the maximum capacity of the battery.
2.) Lithium-Ion batteries and modern Qi chargers will stop feeding a phone at 100% power, and top it up when it hits 99%, meaning they can be left on charge indefinitely / overnight.
3.) Lithium-Ion batteries maintain their best functionality/capacity when the battery is used within the 25-75% boundary, so multiple mid-day chargers are healthier for the battery than one large 0-100% charge.

Now I don't know what to believe.

Can you please advise me? Thanks.

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I disable Google location history always as this is like the number one battery drain, then disable every carrier added app (bloat), I turn off all the features I never use like smart stay, palm swipe, and all the gimmicks Samsung adds that drains battery.

From there I go into accounts and ensure the only things being synced are what I use, eg: don't sync Google fit data if you do not use the service etc.

It's not much but it makes me feel as though I am now just throwing away cycles based on the price of the phone.

Other than that add a dark theme, and if any apps have dark themes this is good also as it uses less battery.