Battery Usage after Pie

Geoffrey Wadsworth

Aug 15, 2018
Visit site
I am curious if anyone else has had issue with Battery usage since they have gotten Pie. My Pixel XL seems perform much more poor since I upgraded. Battery usage used to be awesome. I would go the whole day before getting down to 50%. Now it is common for me to be down to 20% by end of day. By the end of my morning commute I am usually down to 80% now. Very disappointing.

Chuckcell

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed some degrade on mine after pie. But nothing radical.
I think that for me it's a combination of the battery getting older and the pie screen setting seems brighter.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Regular OG Pixel. I literally just had my phone go from 100% to 75% in 23 minutes. Only apps used were Facebook and chrome. Pie has seriously hit my battery.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Just had a notification pop up about scanning. I clicked on it and it opened a page in the settings called "Scanning". It has 2 switches on it , 1 for wi-fi , 1 for Bluetooth. Basically gives permissions for apps to scan the 2 wireless communications protocols even if wi-fi /BT are shut off. Both of my switches were switched on. I switched them both off and we will see if my battery life returns to what I had on Oreo.

Chuckcell

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
That notification just showed up on my Pixel XL. I had shut it down overnight. Never seen it before this. Guess I'll need to shut it down when I leave the house cause I see no reason to scan for signals other than cellular when I'm not near my own router.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Did switching them off make any difference?

Sadly No. I think I'm headed for a factory reset this week. I just rebooted the phone at 90% and it won't come back on unless I charge it a bit. I'm convinced Pie did something to FUBAR something with the batteries or charging communicating withe the batteries about actual Power levels. I'm going to factory reset this weekend and then if no improvement I'll roll back to O and see if that fixes things

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Just thought I'd look at my battery flow for the day as I shut down for the night. This is what I got.
16c85b78c36d2ec1b45afeacee4d87a7.jpg

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I upgraded my pixel directly out of the box up to Pie over wifi (no sim installed), then factory reset it and installed the sim..... the battery life is incredible, I tried to kill it messing around with it and that thing will last forever.

I really think a factory reset after the Pie update is crucial for it to work it's best.

Dan L2

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
I found turning off Adaptive Battery improved my battery performance.

Battery isn't dropping every minute now.

APeX3181

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
I've done a factory reset, disabled adaptive battery and adaptive brightness and I'm still having major battery issues after Pie. My phone needs to be connected to a charger constantly for it to last through the day. I've seen many posts on Google Product Forums and Reddit about this. Google needs to fix this ASAP, it's really a problem. Also haven't received the September update from T-Mobile, maybe it's related to this issue?

Also just fully charged my phone, unplugged and rebooted, and it came up at 12% battery.

Last edited:

Dan L2

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
After doing more searching on the web and has also worked for me is that wifi 5g is an issue and I no longer connect to a 5g network.

Battery life has improved more but still could be better.
I've done a factory reset, disabled adaptive battery and adaptive brightness and I'm still having major battery issues after Pie. My phone needs to be connected to a charger constantly for it to last through the day. I've seen many posts on Google Product Forums and Reddit about this. Google needs to fix this ASAP, it's really a problem. Also haven't received the September update from T-Mobile, maybe it's related to this issue?

Also just fully charged my phone, unplugged and rebooted, and it came up at 12% battery.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I've been holding off on updating to 9.0. Waiting for bugs to get worked out, and frankly there was little incentive for me to update since I hate the horizontal app switching. Now that new pixel camera features are here, I decided to update yesterday. I don't see any change. If anything, I think the battery is better. That damn app switching though. Hope they revert or give option for vertical switching in the future.

Andy Bredemeyer

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I used Pie preview version for months and battery was ok, but then at some point some weeks after the stable release battery started really performing poorly. I talked to Google, tried safe mode (battery performance still very poor), tried factory reset to no avail. Got battery replaced by ubreakifix and it's like night and day. The battery just isn't designed to last more than two years, it seems. But this phone is still great so I sunk the $80 for a professional to replace the battery. It was worth it.

mr2gti

Nov 26, 2018
Visit site
Hi Guys.

Mine has been doing the same, but it's down to the Mobile Data connection. When on Wi-Fi, manually turn off Mobile Data and BOOOOOM - low battery usage.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
franzmorais