News Beeper's last attempt at iMessage on Android is here

bradavon

Aug 3, 2017
Visit site
Didn't we already establish Beeper is in the wrong hacking their way into an Apple proprietary service?
No. Both the EU and US governments are investigating Apple for monopoly practises.

Companies like Apple, Microsoft, Google that use their services to squash smaller companies tend to get looked on dimmly.

It's bad for consumers too. Apple have created the iMessage mess in The US. It doesn't actually help iPhone or Android users does it.

Reactions: fuzzylumpkin

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
No. Both the EU and US governments are investigating Apple for monopoly practises.

That's different from the issue of Beeper stealing Apple services, and I've already made comments in one of the other threads to the effect of Apple and iMessages being nowhere near a monopolistic practice due to the availability of many other messaging options.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
That's different from the issue of Beeper stealing Apple services, and I've already made comments in one of the other threads to the effect of Apple and iMessages being nowhere near a monopolistic practice due to the availability of many other messaging options.
Being the most argumentative doesn't necessarily mean you are right or everyone agrees with you, though.

Your opinion on this is no less or more valid than anyone else's, and just because you have proclaimed something doesn't mean "we've established" it.

I don't really think Beeper did anything wrong, they certainly did not steal anything. I also don't think that Apple are in the wrong for blocking Beeper from accessing iMessage. I do think an investigation needs to happen though, because Apple is in place to have a monopoly and it needs to be nipped in the bud. That is something we will never come to agreement on, though.

Reactions: mlblack16

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't really think Beeper did anything wrong, they certainly did not steal anything.

According to the article, you need access to a Mac (they even suggested using a friend's if you don't have one), and requires a jailbroken iPhone to trick Apple into registering their service onto a device they have chosen not to allow to use said service. How is that not theft? I would classify it as a form of piracy.

...and just because you have proclaimed something doesn't mean "we've established" it.

Wasn't just me, but most people in that thread were on the side of Apple. I wasn't even the first in support. Lol

Reactions: BEaRebel

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
According to the article, you need access to a Mac (they even suggested using a friend's if you don't have one), and requires a jailbroken iPhone to trick Apple into registering their service onto a device they have chosen not to allow to use said service. How is that not theft? I would classify it as a form of piracy.

Wasn't just me, but most people in that thread were on the side of Apple. I wasn't even the first in support. Lol
Using an Apple Mac to access an Apple service? How scandalous! It's not theft because nothing is being stolen.

Reactions: BEaRebel

bradavon

Aug 3, 2017
Visit site
And how many of those messaging services are used on half of the phones in The US? If there wasn't a proble, Beeper Mini literally wouldn't exist.

You don't understand how monopolistic practices work then. Having other options is the carrot big tech gives to claim they're not a monopoly.

Remember Internet Explorer in the 90s? There was still Netscape but Microsoft all but killed the company. Remember AirTag? There is still Tile but Apple is doing a good job killing the business.

Being a monoply does not mean there are zero other alternatives.

Besides tell this to the US and EU governments, you know ones with all the data in front of them ;).

Reactions: fuzzylumpkin

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
The irony is that Apple is passing up a perfectly good chance to make a crap ton of money. Beeper is already charging for the service. All Apple has to do is ask for a cut. Say $5 per beeper user per month. That is MILLIONS of dollars of revenue. The only thing Apple has to do is let Beeper use its service.

There are around 3.3 BILLION Android phones in use. Think about how much money Apple would get if it cashed on even a fraction of those phones.

Last edited:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
And how many of those messaging services are used on half of the phones in The US? If there wasn't a proble, Beeper Mini literally wouldn't exist.

You don't understand how monopolistic practices work then. Having other options is the carrot big tech gives to claim they're not a

Unless Apple is outright preventing other platforms from existing (theft of service platforms like Beeper excluded), then I don't see a problem. What they have is nothing new in the world of business. In a free market there will always be a small number of major players and a number of lesser used competing products. Not everyone has the know-how to effectively compete. Not just with the product, but also with advertising and everything else that goes into running a successful business. Trying to fight against this doesn't somehow make lessor products better.

And consider that the ONLY reason presented so far for the need to do anything governmentally about iMessage is that it's used by most teens, does anyone really think forcing it to open up will help anything? No, unless people are suggesting we pass laws against peer pressure and parental rights of choice. But that's a whole other can of worms to get into.

bradavon

Aug 3, 2017
Visit site
Unless Apple is outright preventing other platforms from existing (theft of service platforms like Beeper excluded), then I don't see a problem.
Tell that to the small business that can't operate due to big tech stamping on it. There isn't competition if Big Tech forces small tech to go out of business.

But spoken like a true American hey.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Tell that to the small business that can't operate due to big tech stamping on it. There isn't competition if Big Tech forces small tech to go out of business.

But spoken like a true American hey.
Ok, where's some examples related to this specific case?

And thanks for recognizing the ability to think logically, even though I know you were trying for a personal attack that goes against forum rules. :)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Mod Note:

[Just a reminder here , keep things civil and don't attack each other otherwise definitely engage but in a constructive way that won't offend someone]

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000