Best Buy Finally Called and Asked Me To Return The GN

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Ok guys I've been having a lot of weight on my shoulders because of all of this and finally decided to call the rep who sold me the phone and ask him what's really going on. After about 10 minutes of talking to him I finally understood why all the calls. Corporate is mad. Really mad that any of these slipped out. He doesn't know yet if his job is on the line but did say there is a "Review" happening and he is in big trouble but also knows he has some back up as his managers and other staff told him it was ok to sell.

I asked him if he thinks he will be around for my next phone purchase and he said "Honestly, I don't think I will lose my job but I'm pretty sure they are pulling me off mobile and I will be around here (as in the BB store) somewhere.

The guy who sold it to me is really nice and I've always gone to him for my phone sales and I decided to take the nexus back.

I went in and took it back and I said "Let me negotiate them keeping your job for this" and he said "I don't want to add more fuel to the flames" and to let it go and that he will be fine.

I asked "Does me returning this at least help you in some way?" and he said yes.

I've returned it and am happy with my decision because though this wasn't my fault, he is a good guy who made a mistake and I won't let him go down for it because I must have the latest and greatest.

I promise you one thing, as soon as the phone is released, I will have it in my possession again and will join you all in the happy times.

Thank you all for your support and following my journey.

-Kevin

in the end, it's always best to follow your gut. thanks for sharing your adventure with us.

lvnalolife

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Damn! I know you will get some heat from some peeps here, but good for you! This has been a good thread to read over the last couple of days. Hopefully it comes out "officially" tomorrow so you can just go back and buy another from the same guy.

cgr45

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Good job. I feel bad for the guy who sold it to you. Everyone makes mistakes.
I dunno if I had waited that long or gone through all the BS over a phone.
To me it's just a phone. Not worth all the time and bs.

impostor71

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
While you didn't have to, you did what you felt is right. You're a good man Kevin. Did they end up compensating you anything for your time and effort?

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
While you didn't have to, you did what you felt is right. You're a good man Kevin. Did they end up compensating you anything for your time and effort?

No I didn't ask for anything. I felt bad enough and he seriously looked like he was getting heat so I just let it go and did what felt right.

On the bright side, I'm happy everyone is going to get the chance to have one tomorrow!

lvnalolife

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
No I didn't ask for anything. I felt bad enough and he seriously looked like he was getting heat so I just let it go and did what felt right.

On the bright side, I'm happy everyone is going to get the chance to have one tomorrow!

Verizon must have heard what happened to you so they rushed the official release so you could get one again.:cool:

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
No way in hell I would have returned it. There screw up there loss.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

4given_p8ntblr

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Very cool of you to do...

Just curious, what Verizon apps did the phone have?

I didn't have the phone but I have seen numerous pics that show just

My Verizon Mobile - somewhat useful to keep an eye of your plans used minutes/txts/data (if tiered).
Backup Assistant - not that useful since you have various ways to backup the phones contacts.

how+to+disable+verizon+apps+on+galaxy+nexus.jpg

Shaggy80

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply and the pics. I have heard about these two, just wanted to make sure.

Man, I really hope that this phone's updates don't get delayed because of Verizon. I know that it is Nexus, but I have been with Verizon since 2003 and they never cease to disappoint. If not for their awesome network, I would be gone.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Too many pages to go through and many opposing points of view.

My position and belief is that you should keep the phone. However, that and $5 may get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. The reality of the situation becomes a civil matter. The holder of the phone can and will be held liable for any damages received by Best Buy from VZW. Whether he purchased the phone or found it in a bar (think Apple's phone), he is in possession of a product that is not released, contains confidential information, and protected under numerous laws for VZW.

At the end of the day, Best Buy could seize the phone if they wanted to. It would have taken a lot of legal maneuvering to do so. I am actually surprised Counsel for BB did not contact you directly. Best Buy can still hold you civilly liable for fines levied by VZW. VZW can also hold you liable for possession of illegally acquired merchandise (trust me, I was sued by Addidas over a very similar issue). Right, wrong, or indifferent, you can be sued by Best Buy and VZW. All the civil suit needs to do is prove that Best Buy made every effort to re-acquire the phone (although I don't believe they truly did). The cost of your own counsel and time is not worth it. The worst part is the OP is still on the hook for a potential civil suit. If Best Buy's liability is significant, they will go after you.

You can argue that BB should not have sold the phone, it was the employee's fault, or any other argument. What it comes down to are the facts. The facts are the OP acquired a product that was not to be released, the company made the effort to get it back, and it was not recovered. Those are the facts. Everything else is personal opinion and "screw the man" mentality.

The cost of 1 hour with an attorney is going to be over $300. This is out of your pocket and no chance at recovering it. Drag it on with the BB attorneys, it is more money out of your pocket for yours. BB's attorneys are getting paid whether they work or not. Might as well stick it to someone they have a chance to win against.

Respectfully you don't know what you are talking about. The absolute worst that could happen is his service is suspended/cancelled until he puts a different phone on the line. The phone itself is legally his. It was sold to him and he has a receipt. That was never the issue. The issue was the unauthorized device being active on the Verizon Network. They wanted it back so they could disconnect it from the network. It's that simple.

I am one of the ones who felt he should have returned the phone, but that seems to be water under the bridge since we are like 10 hours away from the device going on sale in the store, The OP will get the same software update that the rest of us who buy it in store or order it will get within a couple hours of activating the device. At that point this whole thing will be moot.

BB is responsible for their conduct in this matter and if they get fined they will have to pay them. They have no grounds to go after the OP for them.

To Kevin -

Glad you decided to do the right thing here though by the time you returned it they would already have known that they would be able to sell them tomorrow, not sure why they made you go through with it at that point. It's npt as if they can hide it from VZW, there is a listing of your past IEME's on your account so the electronic trail is there already.

Last edited:

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
This was one hell of a ride....everything turned out good.
Even though I would have wanted you to get something for your hassles and mental anguish, you done good kev.

The really good thing as it turns out, you will not have to live long without a gn. Less than 24 hrs!

Reactions: guinnkevinr

bsbllfn38

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Kevin, you now have a great story, and in the end made the decision that felt right to you. While many may not understand or agree with you on this, in the end there are two people who are happy. That rep now knows that when it all comes down to it, you are a great person and loyal to those who help you. I wish BB hadn't made things so ugly from the beginning, but what do you expect from them? Good on you for returning that and enjoy the Nexus I am sure you are going to pick up today.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smallfoot715