best free app to play a video in side by side format

smoke signal man

Dec 27, 2018
Visit site
I have a S4 active. Maybe an odd question, unless you're more tech savvy than I am (which would be almost anyone maybe) but I received for Christmas a pair of VR goggles. I don't play video games anymore, but I would like to use it to watch 2 D videos and movies that I have on formats like mp4, etc.

I know they won't be in 3D but I don't care about that, I just want to be able to view the video or movie with the goggles. I've viewed a few youtube videos that are already in split screen just to see if it works, and it does. You can't just put a 2D movie on your smartphone and view it through the goggles, it has to be played in whats called SBS or side by side format, otherwise it's not viewed correctly. (I've already tried)
I know youtube supposedly has an app that allows you to view their videos side by side if they're not already SBS, but I'm talking about my own videos not there's. Doing a google search for an answer was a little confusing because most of it was geared for people who wanted 3d or gaming, not simple videos.

I've read that Google cardboard supposedly does what I want but you supposedly have to buy their cardboard goggles in order to get an unlock code?

What I'm wondering is if anyone out there knows what I'm referring to (or has a younger relative that does) and has any recommendations on what the easiest and best free video player app for android out there that has the ability to play video files in a side by side format. The video player that came with my phone doesn't do that. Preferably something that doesn't stick a huge ad on the front of the screen all the time like what one app did that I downloaded once for a different reason.