Best instant messaging client that's light on battery?

Jason Black

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm so scared to leave my aim messenger logged on because it pretty much swallows my battery. Which ones have you had good experiences with?

Sent From Tapatalk.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
When I used aol app,I left out open all the time, was not bad on battery. You C can always check by going into settings, about phone, battery, in there there is a option to see what is consuming the most battery power.

Z

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Ever since face book updated and has chat I don't need aol app anymore, but I always have yahoo logged on. Does not drain my battery, in last three hours, yahoo has not as affected battery at all.

Z

Jason Black

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
The facebook chat on the app is horrible. I end up with missing replies all the time. Plus the push notification sucks.

Sent From Tapatalk.

Jason Black

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. Notification and whatever the person writes to me always disappears. Webos has a better aim client than android and ios. Sorry to break that out.

Sent From Tapatalk.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't use it anymore because I need it, but I never had them issues,I thought it worked great.

Z

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Trying to SAVE battery power - is like putting band_aid on a big cut. Any application that runs in the backgrounds will always require more battery power. So, technically finding an instant messaging app that won't eat the bell out of your battery - isn't possible.

Note: Unless you turn all notifications off.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
So how does apple do it?

Sent From Tapatalk.
I don't know.. I'll asked Steve Jobs. Lol.

Seriously though - Personally, I've yet to hear of anyone that use any applications that is required to be constantly running in the backgrounds... for notifications to say that it doesn't use a lot more of their battery power. However, I stand corrected if that somehow could be proven.

zmerahn

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Push notifications. While just idle in the background, any IM client that uses push will have a very minimal effect on battery life.

I don't know.. I'll asked Steve Jobs. Lol.

Seriously though - Personally, I've yet to hear of anyone that use any applications that is required to be constantly running in the backgrounds... for notifications to say that it doesn't use a lot more of their battery power. However, I stand corrected if that somehow could be proven.

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I hate leaving any chat client on at all, but i'll lve with gtalk left on from time to time.

I notice a difference in battery life for gtalk, and its definitely the most parsiminous of all the clients IMO. Battery life goes from like 36 hours to 16.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Trillian gets my pick for multi-protocol IM client. With its ability to support push notifications on 2.2, battery use is pretty minimal.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Trying to SAVE battery power - is like putting band_aid on a big cut. Any application that runs in the backgrounds will always require more battery power. So, technically finding an instant messaging app that won't eat the bell out of your battery - isn't possible.

Note: Unless you turn all notifications off.

I don't agree. With the framework in 2.2 to support push notifications, battery drain can be greatly reduced. I've seen it with the gtalk app which I now keep logged on all the time even though I don't really use it much but after alot of testing and monitoring with system panel, it doesn't actual drain much battery at all even though it is running. Now if you use the app alot, then yes, it will have some battery drain, but just because it is running in the background, does not mean it is going to eat up your battery.

jsm927

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
if you are looking for a free one, ebuddy is the one I have been using, I dont leave it on all the time but dont notice any battery drain when Ido. Trillian I use on my computer and love it, didnt know they had an app now since ebuddy did what I needed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wacky23