Bluetooth after Pie

GeorgesBlazah

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Ever since i did the update, my bluetooth connection to my car hasn't worked. I tried to remove and add again but it still doesn't work.

Are there any tricks to get around this?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Make sure, if it's showing as paired in the car audio, that you remove it from there too.. It has to be removed from both the phone and the car. That should make it pair.

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I've been having issues with Bluetooth since pie. My phone keeps randomly "forgetting" devices. Either the car or my watch. I pair them back up and this may work for a few hours or days but they will eventually disappear. Once, I even tried renaming my phone in BT to see if that would help. I paired my devices back to my phone. I found later that it randomly changed its name back to the default name on its own.

Last edited:

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Bluetooth depends on "Device name" in order to "pair".
When you change your "Device name", all your pairings will default to not being paired.
Now your starting from scratch again with Bluetooth pairing.
This is expected behaviour.

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Bluetooth depends on "Device name" in order to "pair".
When you change your "Device name", all your pairings will default to not being paired.
Now your starting from scratch again with Bluetooth pairing.
This is expected behaviour.

Yup! However, that's not what I meant. After updating to pie, my phone developed a habit of not staying connected to BT devices or not connecting at all, or just plain forgetting the parings all together. I performed a wifi, mobile and bluetooth reset and renamed my BT for good measure. Paired my devices back. The phone then renamed itself back to pixel 2 xl and the previous mentioned behaviors continue.

A once great Android Auto or WearOS experience is nearly none existent now because the BT pairings are constantly f'd.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Ouch!
I can only tell you that on my P2XL Bluetooth is solid with my car and my BT headset.
After your resetting everything and you're still having the same problem, I'd call Google support.

stew72

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
I've had some odd issues too. A week ago my phone wasnt playing any audio while watching YouTube. Come to find out it was still "connected" to my car. Which was parked in the driveway while I was in bed.

It also shows me connected to my headphones, yet will play sound from the phone when using Audible. But if I stop and play iHeart radio it will play through the headphones. I'll switch back to Audible and then it plays through the headphones.

GeorgesBlazah

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Ive always had problems trying to play audio through the wired headphones. I don't know if its the adapters or the phone but it never works right. Ive given up on that.

Well for my bluetooth problem, it seems to have resolved itself. I removed and paired 2 more times and now it seems to be working fine.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Stew, some apps just won't do Bluetooth - even though they're media apps and your BT device has a media profile. Try BTmono. Start with it off, run Audible, then turn BTMono on. You should hear Audible over Bluetooth.

BCWARE

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I have been having issues with it staying connected and also with people being able to hear me when I call out. Seems better when they call me. VERY frustrating

Rogue Llama

Aug 20, 2018
Visit site
Yup! However, that's not what I meant. After updating to pie, my phone developed a habit of not staying connected to BT devices or not connecting at all, or just plain forgetting the parings all together. I performed a wifi, mobile and bluetooth reset and renamed my BT for good measure. Paired my devices back. The phone then renamed itself back to pixel 2 xl and the previous mentioned behaviors continue.

A once great Android Auto or WearOS experience is nearly none existent now because the BT pairings are constantly f'd.

I have had the same issues with my pixel 2 since the awful Pi update. Google's customer support can only tell me to do a factory reset, and low and behold that didn't work either. Only fix at this point is to buy an iPhone and get off of any andriod product to get a working bluetooth connection. I have been going back and forth with their "customer support" (in quotes because their support is awful, worst than Sprint's) since a week after the update and still no closer to a resolution.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I have had the same issues with my pixel 2 since the awful Pi update. Google's customer support can only tell me to do a factory reset, and low and behold that didn't work either. Only fix at this point is to buy an iPhone and get off of any andriod product to get a working bluetooth connection. I have been going back and forth with their "customer support" (in quotes because their support is awful, worst than Sprint's) since a week after the update and still no closer to a resolution.

Android has definitely struggled with Bluetooth through out it's history for sure. They actually seemed to get worse from froyo (2.2.2 I believe) up till now, but so far Pie seems to be working the best of any Android version I've used on my og pixel. I have to add I only use my Bluetooth for Bluetooth earpieces and pairing my fitbits with.

I keep hearing these horror stories about Google customer support....kinda scary :O
Maybe you should return your pixel under warranty and try another one..... doesn't sound like you have much to lose.

speedtrap63

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Bluetooth problems I have, and haven't called Google yet. However, I had another issue after upgrading to Pi where incoming calls wouldn't ring and no notification until someone left a voicemail. Anyway, I texted Google customer support and they were great. Did some troubleshooting and they sent me a replacement Pixel 2xl, which had 8.1 loaded. Problem solved, so there is at least one good tech at Google CS.

I of course being me, upgraded to 9 again and have Bluetooth problems with my car now! Going to see if the dropping connections is related to my Fitbit before getting Google involved again.

So all in all Pi has been kind of meh for me so far, YMMV.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
so there is at least one good tech at Google CS.
I've been on the phone with them a lot (a problem that "couldn't be" but was) and I never spoke to anyone who wasn't great.

I of course being me, upgraded to 9 again and have Bluetooth problems with my car now!
Remove the car from the phone. Remove the phone from the car. Start pairing from scratch. (And watch both the phone and the car display, so you don't miss something like "Press volume control to pair" on the car audio.)

Going to see if the dropping connections is related to my Fitbit before getting Google involved again.
Yhat could be too - I don't have a fitbit, so I don't know if it's causing a problem - but if the fitbit is connected when you try to connect the car, that would cause a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnnetteConnor