Bluetooth calling issue

rabbiw

Apr 2, 2023
Visit site
Hi hoping someone can help me.
I am using a Samsung Galaxy S21 FE, calling works fine on phone handset or speaker, and audio works fine on bluetooth devices.
I can listen to WhatsApp, Signal voice messages etc. with no problem
However as soon as I try to make a call on bluetooth, whether cell, WhatsaApp or Signal etc. the audio doesn't work properly, I just get loud distortion. Similarly when I get an incoming call ringing when Bluetooth is connected, ring tone doesn't come out, just loud distortion or silence.
Have tried different car bluetooth and headsets, same problem on all.
Again - bluetooth connection works fine for audio and phone on its own works fine for calling, problem only occurs with actual calling.
Was working fine until week or 2 ago.
Latest Android OS updates installed.
Any help appreciated, looked online not finding this problem

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I moved this from the Introductions forum to the S21 forum, since you're asking a specific question.

First things first -- if you go to Settings>Bluetooth and tap the gear icon next to the Bluetooth device, is Phone Audio turned on?

If it is, and the problem persists, try going to Settings>Apps, select the option to show all system apps, select Bluetooth, and clear its app storage/cache.

rabbiw

Apr 2, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I moved this from the Introductions forum to the S21 forum, since you're asking a specific question.

First things first -- if you go to Settings>Bluetooth and tap the gear icon next to the Bluetooth device, is Phone Audio turned on?

If it is, and the problem persists, try going to Settings>Apps, select the option to show all system apps, select Bluetooth, and clear its app storage/cache.
Thanks - yes Phone Audio is on for all the devices
I tried clearing the cache but when I go into the settings the options to clear storage/cache are greyed out... any suggestions?

rabbiw

Apr 2, 2023
Visit site
And it's back! Suddenly started again
Same issue - bluetooth audio works fine on any device; phone calling and whatsapp/signal calling work fine on handset; as soon as you try to call over a bluetooth device there is no audio at all. It doesnt' even ring on the bluetooth device. Tried repairing, restarting, cache partition wipe, nothing helps. Tried several different bluetooth devices - headset, speaker, android auto in car - same problem. Tried zoom - same issue -works fine on phone, with bluetooth audio no sound at all, either mic or ear.
Last time I was getting distorted sound, now nothing at all.
Help! I rely on handsfree calling for my daily work, really struggling without it!

rabbiw

Apr 2, 2023
Visit site
Also - Bluetooth app still not allowing cache/data clear - the optionsn are greyed out when you go into the settings
And it's back! Suddenly started again
Same issue - bluetooth audio works fine on any device; phone calling and whatsapp/signal calling work fine on handset; as soon as you try to call over a bluetooth device there is no audio at all. It doesnt' even ring on the bluetooth device. Tried repairing, restarting, cache partition wipe, nothing helps. Tried several different bluetooth devices - headset, speaker, android auto in car - same problem. Tried zoom - same issue -works fine on phone, with bluetooth audio no sound at all, either mic or ear.
Last time I was getting distorted sound, now nothing at all.
Help! I rely on handsfree calling for my daily work, really struggling without it!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
In Bluetooth settings under advanced what's in Bluetooth control history?

Might also try resetting network under settings>general management>reset>reset network this resets all Bluetooth devices

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If those steps don't help, then the next step is probably a factory reset. If the problem persists after a factory reset, then I would suspect a hardware problem -- is the phone still under warranty?