Question App to keep screen on despite work admin restrictions?

tatum

Dec 12, 2023
Visit site
I've hunted around for answers to this but most assume I have control over my screen timeout setting. I have set my personal phone up with work MDM to access work apps, but this enforces a few restrictions including max screen timeout of 5 mins.

I want to keep a map up on my phone while mountain biking, and obviously this works better if I can keep the screen on for longer than 5 minutes. Apps like Caffeine don't seem to override the 5 minute timeout. However, Waze keeps the screen on indefinitely just fine which tells me there are "waze" to do this.

Any suggestions on apps or ways I can get this working? Cheers for any advice

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central forums.

What map app are you trying to use that closes on you? It's odd that a Map app would take a nap while you were using it. The device usually detects things like that and ignore timeouts. If Waze can stay awake it could be that this app is being put to sleep or it might be possible for you to force it to stay awake. Without knowing what device you have offering advice is a bit more difficult but I would check your battery settings and see if you can move this app to your never sleeping apps list. On my Samsung it's Settings>Battery and device care>Battery>Background usage limits>I would check to see if your app appears in either the Sleeping apps or Deep sleeping apps lists, and then go to Never auto sleeping apps list and add it there. You may be able to just add it to the never list without having to remove it from either of the other lists but just to see if it's there check the others first, and then add it if you can. This might require Admin rights.

Let us know what you find and we'll offer advice from there.

Reactions: B. Diddy

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't know a ton about adding work profiles to my personal phone, but you're not the first to complain about it screwing with your personal life. I thought there was a way to sign out of the MDM account or switch users so you can get back to personal business.

If it's too intrusive, I would tell my company they can provide me a separate company phone or wait until I'm back in the office. I wouldn't let them control my personal device, but I understand that may be easier said than done for others.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
If it's too intrusive, I would tell my company they can provide me a separate company phone or wait until I'm back in the office. I wouldn't let them control my personal device, but I understand that may be easier said than done for others.
Recently I wanted to use my Teams account on my device so that I could have a video conference where I could just turn the phone around and show things away from my desk, rather than drag my laptop around, and IT's solution was to sign me up for this whole program where I download some kind of corp. connection app and then access my corp. Teams account. I had been warned about this from one of the other managers. The app is super intrusive if you go full account. There are "levels" is my understanding but I really just needed it this one time for this one thing and yeah this would have put my email on the device and granted them access to "select" things, that I might not select. The messed up thing is when I took this position I was asked if I wanted a company phone or if I wanted to use my own. After the warning I of course said I wanted the company phone, and was told that they were changing their policy and instead offering people who took after hour calls a pittance of stipend. Guess who's getting right around $100 a year for taking calls at home...✋

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Apps like Caffeine don't seem to override the 5 minute timeout. However, Waze keeps the screen on indefinitely just fine which tells me there are "waze" to do this.

Any suggestions on apps or ways I can get this working? Cheers for any advice
Surprised the Caffeine app isn't working out for you. Preventing sleep mode is one it's purposes.
But is is something of an invasive utility that works against an integral Android function. You need to dig into your phone's Settings menu and be sure the the app is excluded from things like Battery Optimization, and go into the Caffeine app's Settings menu to set it up accordingly.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000