Bricked EVO 4G...HELP!!!

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
At the moment my phone still boots up to hboot and goes into recovery. When i boot it up it goes to the white screen with the HTC EVO 4G writing, so i think i still might have hope. I've tried as many things as i have thought up of, but to no avail. I really dont want to give up but i think i'm very close. Any help will be much appreciated.

I saw a post on how to unbrick your soft bricked Evo 4G, by dumpedduce but i couldn't find the RUU ZIP file as it is no longer available, but i did find this:

RUU_SuperSonic_GB_Sprint_WWE_4.67.651.3_Radio_2.15.00.12.19_NV_2.33_release_234563_signed.exe

It's not a ZIP so what i did was download it placed it on my desktop, plugged my phone to my PC and opened up this RUU and ran the thing but it errored out saying it was the wrong RUU. my phone has this 4.64.651.3 version. All the other threads on this brick issue are outdated...help!!

jcwxguy

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
you still have hope, as long as you can get into hboot! :) ill post a link for you to download, after you download it, place in on the root of your sd card (you may have to take out your sd card and using an adapter to hook it up to computer)

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
you still have hope, as long as you can get into hboot! :) ill post a link for you to download, after you download it, place in on the root of your sd card (you may have to take out your sd card and using an adapter to hook it up to computer)

I tried something like that, but didnt work. i then entered recovery and manually installed the zip file but it said "installation aborted"

I tried the following, in order as listed:

From OTA: 4.67.651.3
ceb61707b83077ca60cdf6744f853896

From OTA: 4.22.651.1
MD5: a3605c1e22ea22149d25d8de8eda34b0

From OTA: 3.70.651.1
MD5: 5f41787f9734a980462281311f6a6b6b

This last one is under update.zip and i opened manually via clockmod recovery and my phone is now on the clockmod icon with a black backscreen and has been like this for about 15mins, no luck
From OTA: 4.22.651.1
update.zip: MD5: f3c42f856776955e95934014799e6302

Any other ideas??
Edit/Delete Message

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
I tried that also, earlier today and i got this error: ERROR [155]: UNKNOWN ERROR. The ROM Update Utility cannot update your Android phone. Please get the correct ROM Update Utility and try again.

am i screwed? is there something in my SD card that's not allowing these files to function properly?

jcwxguy

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
not screwed yet, let me upload a file to mediafire real quick. after i have it uploaded, ill place a link on here, from there download it and place it on the root of your sd card. After it is on your sdcard, boot your phone to bootloader (it will scan your sd card then ask if you want to update-you want to) it will install everything, may even reboot a time or two .

jcwxguy

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
PLACE THE DOWNLOADED FILE (PC36IMG) ON THE ROOT OF YOUR SD CARD THEN BOOT TO BOOTLOADER SCREEN (battery pull may be required for it to work)

Bootloader---->power button to load bootloader --->sd checking...loading pc36img(might take a min or two) ---> "Do you want to start update?" (vol up) ---->update in progress, DO NOT POWER OFF DEVICE....**BYPASSES BOOTLOADER IN MOST CASES**--->EVERYTHING SAYS OK AND IS UPDATING SYSTEM (takes a min) --->do you want to reboot device (vol up) YES --->reboots normally with sprint sound and says EVO 4G ---> takes a min or two to completely boot ---> move the slider down...says HTC....takes a min for that to go away (least mine did), and follow the prompts on your screen then you are good to go -PHONE UNROOTED, BACK TO STOCK-(NO RECOVERY)!

****REMEMBER TO RENAME OR REMOVE THE PC36IMG FILE FROM YOUR SD CARD AFTER YOU ARE DONE*****

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
after you mentioned the backup, i decided to give it a shot...guess what? it worked man! I guess i didnt restore it right the first time. THANKS A MILLION. As for this file, it's still downloading (35%, slow int. connection), but i will be sure to use it if i ever truly do soft brick my evo, or if i ever decide to return it due to a physical damage. I really appreciate your efforts.

jcwxguy

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
clockworkmod recovery is buggy for most people (sometimes the backups dont work right or wont restore correctly) i recommend you use RA-supersonic-v3.11-gnm (available here)

(file would have to be placed on root of sd card, follow same steps as with the other file)-only recovery gets updated though :) -after you do that (if you do), then do a nandroid backup

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Riveretoon