buying a second s-pen is a waste of money

monkeycsk

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
i got a second s-pen and it turns out according to Samsung support, only one s-pen can use the air command (like taking a picture, moving forward/backward in the gallery, unlocking the phone...etc) at a time.

in other words, i have s-pen1 in the slot which is pair/connected to the phone, and s-pen2 which i can do everything except BT functions (air command). and if i need to use the air commands, i have to swap s-pen2 with s-pen1. what a pain is that?

then this so-called samsung support implies UI5.0 will fix this issue which enables both s-pen to work, yet he was not able to show me the change log to support.

anyone with a second s-pen shares the same frustrations?

monkeycsk

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
I would assume it worked that way, was that way with the Note series.

to enable 'allow multiple s pens', would it be fair to assume both s pens work exactly the same way? if not, wouldn't it be a hassle to switch s-pen because only one can execute air commands?

that said, i can see buying a second s-pen only for replacement but not as an addition.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
A couple of things...

I think you were totally fair in believing that activating multiple s pens would allow all features to be used at once, that said, the supercapacitor in the S-Pen would only last a day or two with very light use anyway, so you wouldn't get much use out of them.

Also I wouldn't believe the Samsung rep either that one UI 5 will fix this, but the other side of that coin is that it's not unreasonable that he won't show you a changelog for an unreleased version of the os...

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
to enable 'allow multiple s pens', would it be fair to assume both s pens work exactly the same way?
Not when the manual says "Allow multiple S Pens: Let other S Pens write on the screen". There's no mention of any capability beyond screen-writing.

i can see buying a second s-pen only for replacement but not as an addition
Buying one as an addition would not have occurred to me. Can you return it for a refund or credit?

then this so-called samsung support implies UI5.0 will fix this issue which enables both s-pen to work, yet he was not able to show me the change log to support.
It's seldom productive to nag support reps about forthcoming changes. They have no way of knowing, but they might take a guess in order to make you go away sooner.

monkeycsk

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
A couple of things...

I think you were totally fair in believing that activating multiple s pens would allow all features to be used at once, that said, the supercapacitor in the S-Pen would only last a day or two with very light use anyway, so you wouldn't get much use out of them.

Also I wouldn't believe the Samsung rep either that one UI 5 will fix this, but the other side of that coin is that it's not unreasonable that he won't show you a changelog for an unreleased version of the os...

agreed.

i feel samsung should at least mention enabling multiple s-pens only allows the second s-pen to do basic functions, and not all. i wonder if most people aware of this when they purchase a second s-pen (not as replacement).

i also feel support should not be telling customers something when they are not 100% certain. saying the next release, UI5.0 in this case, will do this and fix that without providing the change lot to back it up is a stretch.

funny, when i asked the live agent i was ready to do a survey, he simply ended the chat window which prevents me from doing one.

monkeycsk

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
Not when the manual says "Allow multiple S Pens: Let other S Pens write on the screen". There's no mention of any capability beyond screen-writing.
where do you see this in the manual? do you happen to have a link? it would be helpful if they include that info in the box.

Buying one as an addition would not have occurred to me. Can you return it for a refund or credit?
yes, i can return for a refund.

It's seldom productive to nag support reps about forthcoming changes. They have no way of knowing, but they might take a guess in order to make you go away sooner.
so noted, but setting expectations when it's not 100% accurate is also not a good practice, wouldn't you agree?

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
In all due respect...

I guess I'm not understanding why you need two fully functioning s-pens at the same time. If you have a fully functional s-pen in the phone silo, why the second one?

I do have a second s-pen, but it is intended as a replacement if something happens to the first.

Again, just wondering...
:)

Shellcracker

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
This reminds me of my recent acquisition of a secondary replacement key+keyless entry fob for my car. It has been a PITA!!!!! I got the new key programmed to crank the engine and unlock the door, but when I programmed the keyless entry fob on it, it kicked the programming out for the key and I have to take it to the dealer for $225 dollars to get both the fob and key to operate at the same time..... eh no thanks, I'll just get a valet key for 25 dollars and unlock my doors the old fashioned way....

But back to the subject at hand: Hopefully a software update down the road will solve this issue and you can designate them as "Pen-1" and "Pen-2" and use them interchangeably.

monkeycsk

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
In all due respect...

I guess I'm not understanding why you need two fully functioning s-pens at the same time. If you have a fully functional s-pen in the phone silo, why the second one?

I do have a second s-pen, but it is intended as a replacement if something happens to the first.

Again, just wondering...

i suppose it's the same reason why people want to have 2 or more BT headsets which they could pair all of them with the phone, and the phone will automatically connect to headset-1 or headset-2 whenever you open the case.

that said, while the phone is capable to pair and connecting to multiple headsets, i would simply expect the same logic applies to the s-pen. meaning whenever the s-pen is out of the slot (similar to opening the box of your headset), it should be connected regardless if you have another s-pen still in the slot.

it would be nice to know when you enable 'allow multiple s-pen', a simple message pop-up with 'second s-pen will not have full functions'.

i hope that makes sense to you. the reason to have two fully functioning s-pens is not the question here, it's the technology that does not support it.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
i suppose it's the same reason why people want to have 2 or more BT headsets which they could pair all of them with the phone, and the phone will automatically connect to headset-1 or headset-2 whenever you open the case.

that said, while the phone is capable to pair and connecting to multiple headsets, i would simply expect the same logic applies to the s-pen. meaning whenever the s-pen is out of the slot (similar to opening the box of your headset), it should be connected regardless if you have another s-pen still in the slot.

it would be nice to know when you enable 'allow multiple s-pen', a simple message pop-up with 'second s-pen will not have full functions'.

i hope that makes sense to you. the reason to have two fully functioning s-pens is not the question here, it's the technology that does not support it.

Oh...Okay! I understand now. Thanks for taking the time to respond & explain!

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't...
I understand what the OP is trying to say. I don't share that view point myself. I can't see a situation where if my s-pen was housed in its silo, I would use a secondary s-pen.

My reason for a backup s-pen is because I have a parrot who would love to disassemble the s-pen. She hates my phone & is hissing at it as I make this post.

So I understand the point being made, but my usage is different.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I understand what the OP is trying to say. I don't share that view point myself. I can't see a situation where if my s-pen was housed in its silo, I would use a secondary s-pen.

My reason for a backup s-pen is because I have a parrot who would love to disassemble the s-pen. She hates my phone & is hissing at it as I make this post.

So I understand the point being made, but my usage is different.
Actually, I can see the desire to have two S-Pens fully capable. You could have a full-size S-Pen (think S21 Ultra S-Pen) and the slotted S-Pen. I would likely leave the full-size S-Pen at home and use it there and then when out-and-about use the slotted S-Pen. I would want full functionality for them both. ...but all this has probably been previously stated.

Last edited:

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Actually, I can see the desire to have two S-Pens fully capable. You could have a full-size S-Pen (think S21 Ultra S-Pen) and the slotted S-Pen. I would likely leave the full-size S-Pen at home and use it there and then when out-and-about use the slotted S-Pen. I would want full functionality for them both. ...but all this has probably been previously stated.

That was my thought. I would prefer a larger pen.