Cache Not Clearing for Certain Apps?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have a Samsung Galaxy J7 Crown that's currently on Android 9 (a little outdated but it's all I can afford). I'm running out of storage space to the point where I can't even perform certain tasks on my phone; it will give me a message along the lines of "cannot perform function, clear up storage space to continue" when I try to edit a photo in Gallery, when I try to create a new image in Ibispaint X, and sometimes it won't even let me send text messages.

I don't want to clear my data on any apps, because there's so much I don't want to get rid of. I've put as much stuff as I can on my SD card to try to save room, and then I tried to clear my cache one by one...and it didn't work.

Apps like Ibispaint X, Instagram, etc. won't clear the cache, and it's especially inconvenient because those two apps alone take up about 180MB of storage space with just cache, and I don't even know how many other apps are doing it. Every time I click out of the settings after deleting the cache (and I tested this out for both of them), the exact same amount of cache just comes back. It doesn't matter if I do it while on Wi-Fi or mobile data. They still won't delete. Any idea what could be causing this? Is my phone just getting too old?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central.

Clearing the data on an app doesn't necessarily remove anything from your account or cause lost data. If you clear the data on Instagram it just causes you to have to sign in again and change any app specific settings you've changed. It doesn't affect your IG account as all of that information is stored in the cloud on an IG server. Where you might loose data would be clearing the data on a game where you would loose game progress or clearing the data on an email app where you would loose any drafts saved to the device and all of your saved log ins. You wouldn't loose the accounts or any thing you'd simply have to log in again to those but drafts and anything not sent to and saved on a server would be lost. For the most part clearing data only affects settings, in app saves and anything not saved to a server.

This issue is only going to get worse until you take action and actively start freeing up space. There are 101 and guides online to how clear up space on a device that is full or filling up. You could enlist the help of an app like Ccleaner that will help you clear caches and free up space. Are you backing up/up loading any data that can then be removed from your device? Google offers photo and video backups through Google Photos. Images backed up to Photos are still visible on the device and in your gallery but are not stored locally on the device. This alone can free up GBs of space. Performing regular maintenance on your device helps keep storage down. For example, restarting the phone can help keep your cache clear, using backup services can allow you to delete items from your phone, going through your app drawer can remind you of apps that you haven't opened, used or no longer want or need. There's a 100% chance that the photo editing app you got a year ago for that one thing and have never used again is just taking up space for no reason.

Literally there are dozens of videos on you YouTube that walk you through, step by step, how to free up space on a device. You may even find one specific to your device. And hundreds of lists, how-tos and guides online for freeing up space. Be warned however that not all of them have your best interest at heart. I wouldn't recommend following any guides that recommend a paid app or service. There are too many free alternatives to spend money.

To receive notifications when others reply to your thread and to leave comments of your own please take a minute to create an account. It will help you communicate and get help. This link will guide you through how to do that... https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community-new-post.html

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Some apps may immediately create new cache, because that's how they operate. Cache will always build up with normal usage, so I agree with VidJunky -- it may be time to think about getting a new phone with more storage.