Question How to prevent apps from caching files

Lzr000

Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
Hi,
Is there a way of preventing various apps from storing images/videos in internal memory?
Even a few minutes on facebook somehow results in 100-150MB of cache. Same for Chrome and some other apps. In addition, when I check folders "Documents" and "Private" under Google file manager, I see tons of videos I ever saw in whatsapp, FB, Chrome, etc. I need to go and manually clear cache and delete these "documents" cause memory fills up quickly.

Last edited:

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I guess the more important question is why is this an issue for you? As far as I know there is no way to avoid cache creation. I mean you can literally clear the cache close the app page and open it again and have a new cache. It's probably more important that you do basic maintenance to keep your caches in check. Things like regularly restarting the device, closing background apps, and maybe even getting an app like Cclean which can operate on a schedule. I would avoid SpaceSaver apps that try to force stop and clear caches all the time as they usually cause more problems than they solve. They can run down your battery by running all of the time, they can cause bugs and glitches force closing apps that only reopen a short time later and so on, but clearing your cache on a regular basis shouldn't be an issue.

Are you running out of space on the device? Have you tried moving big files to the cloud to make and maintain usable space on the device? Don't let a number send you into panic. Cache activity is normal and expected.

Reactions: Lzr000 and B. Diddy

Lzr000

Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
I guess the more important question is why is this an issue for you? ...
I got less than 1 GB left out of my 32GB memory. Every once in a while I can't open a large image because of low memory. At this, I have plenty space on SD card formatted as internal, but somehow it does not help. Thank you for cclean suggestion- will try it, if it can save my time clearing cache manually.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah formatting SDs as internal memory isn't as straightforward as one would think and often doesn't work. For one most systems require a certain read/write speed and those cards are usually considerably more expensive. So yeah you may have 512 or even a 1 gig card but if it can't read and write at a high enough speed it doesn't matter how it's "formatted" the system will often ignore it for the actual internal memory that matches the speed requirements. Some devices will even decline to attempt this type of formatting if it detects slow read/write speeds while others will say they did it but when it comes down to it they don't care. You can still move things to the SD but it will never work like true internal memory.

On a side note however the camera can usually be defaulted to the SD regardless of speed and all of your media can be moved to and accessed from the SD. This usually helps a lot especially since photos and videos are often our largest memory consumers. Things like apps though won't be as cooperative. There are several guides online to help you reduce the data on your device to avoid memory shortage messages. Many include the same tips and tricks so really you can just do a search, close your eyes and pick one they are so similar. Again these are much better solutions than trying to eek out a kilo bite or two form your apps by trying to prevent them making caches or constantly trying to delete the cache they will immediately build as soon as they can. On top of that you liked the idea of downloading another app to do this, that app is going to take up more of your precious memory and then create a cache of its own. It's like shoveling the walk while it's snowing or picking up toys when the kids are home.

I would recommend solving your actual issue and not trying to fix something that isn't broken.

Just my opinion but best wishes whichever way you go.

Lzr000

Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
.....On top of that you liked the idea of downloading another app to do this, that app is going to take up more of your precious memory and then create a cache of its own. It's like shoveling the walk while it's snowing or picking up toys when the kids are home. ...

Thanks for your input. After a week of experimenting, I settled with ccleaner. It takes less than 100MB and can be set to do every day automatically what I used to do by hand.

Reactions: VidJunky