Can a stylus be used on S8+ ?

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Has someone successfully used a stylus with the s8+ ? My husband has used styli with his Notes 2, 4, and 7 and needs to use one with his s8+ because of his large hands and fingers---but we cannot find a stylus that works :(

Can anyone please recommend one?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The S-Pen will not work on the S8. You can use active stylii (battery powered) or capacitive ones, but they won't be nearly as accurate as the S-Pen is (hence the need for a Note line).

If what he needs is more for manipulating the phone rather than precise-input (like taking notes and seeing a faithful reproduction of your handwriting) I recommend any metal-mesh tip capacitive stylus. I've tried a bunch of active ones (Bamboo, Adonit, generic ones on Amazon...) and none of them are good enough to justify the price tag and the cheap metal-mesh one is even better on most cases.

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! He doesn't do handwriting---just needs to use it rather than his fingers to type on keyboard and to press hot links. He's tried a Note 2 s-pen and a rubber-tipped stylus (that works on his Note 4) and a metal-tipped stylus but none do anything at all. What is a metal-mesh tip? Is the mesh conductive material?

I just now ordered this from ShopAndroid:
Lynktec TruGlide Stylus with Clip (Black / Gold) for Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! He doesn't do handwriting---just needs to use it rather than his fingers to type on keyboard and to press hot links. He's tried a Note 2 s-pen and a rubber-tipped stylus (that works on his Note 4) and a metal-tipped stylus but none do anything at all. What is a metal-mesh tip? Is the mesh conductive material?

I just now ordered this from ShopAndroid:
Lynktec TruGlide Stylus with Clip (Black / Gold) for Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus

Yup, it's a little softer to glide across the screen than the normal capacitive rubber ones, and it's more durable. The one you ordered seems like it'll fit the bill just fine! :) I just wish they had finer tips, not sure why they can't but all these are quite thick so not ideal for handwriting.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I disagree with your 1 comment, that no regular stylus will be as accurate as the S Pen on a Note is. That used to be the case, but I have tried a regular stylus on the S8 Plus and noticed no real difference other than the fact that you can't use hovering and you can't store it within the phone. However, I agree with you about the mesh stylus, because it also works best for me.

Since no stylus has pressure sensitivity and pin-point accuracy unless the phone is equipped with the right hardware (i.e. the Note line), I stand by that comment: there's is NO WAY that any stylus will be as accurate as the S-Pen is on the Note. It's just a fact. The hardware is just not there on the S Line.

But if you have a stylus suggestion that you think comes close enough for you to say that, then I'd love to try it out! I've been looking for a stylus that is decent enough for me to take notes on my non-note tablet, and so far everything I've tried is nowhere near what we have with the S-Pen.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I've used that before and nope, it's not even close. It does do better than metal mesh ones, but the disc is very prone to scratching the glass and still not as accurate as the S Pen is for handwriting.

Anna Vacek

Oct 6, 2017
Visit site
Re: TheCan a stylus be used on S8+ ?

Has someone successfully used a stylus with the s8+ ? My husband has used styli with his Notes 2, 4, and 7 and needs to use one with his s8+ because of his large hands and fingers---but we cannot find a stylus that works :(

Can anyone please recommend one?

YES,yes I can. I use the shiny rubber-tipped stylus I bought from Amazon. The microfibre ones do not work. The ones that work best are marked /AEK. I draw with it every day as well as all other functions. They were in a 3 pack and cost about 8 bucks. Cheers

BREW_JEWtm

Dec 18, 2017
Visit site
Re: TheCan a stylus be used on S8+ ?

Yes there is a stylus. I use one. I had an old pen that had a polycarbon material end and it works perfectly.the Spen won t work as theyve stated. If I could show a pic and show i would. Visit @partiumdionysus on Facebook and follow me. Help adults save money on wobble pop aka Brew! I'm just starting.maybe even you guys could critique and give your true non troll opinion.

pattipooter

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Re: Can a stylus be used on S8+ ? Why didn't manufacturers add S pens to all devices?

Today a stylus works on most devices from phones to tablets even laptops.
But having to look thru the massive types of s pens and finding which one works is crazy since the manufacturers of these devices could just make them all work with a stylus and come with one. I see no reason why the manufacturers make us jump through hoops to find something that will work........ The fat rubber-tipped s-pens seem to work on everything while the Precision tip S pens only work on a few devices that are not Samsung Notes.
It's easy to hike up the price of something and no one else is making, except for the low end LG Stylo which has almost no memory or Ram.

cmonbe

May 11, 2018
Visit site
I also have the same experience as you. In fact, pricey stylus is not compatible with all devices. Only the suitable stylus is good no matter if it is expensive or cheap.

cmonbe

May 11, 2018
Visit site
I do use Meko stylus. To be frank, before buying this stylus, I am not sure if it can be compatible with my Ipad pro. After receiving it, I paired it with my pro; I found it is good. However I don't know how long it will be used. Hope it will last long.

Planning to buy another model from Meko on next Monday.

Nathaniel03

Jul 3, 2018
Visit site
This might sound a little red-necky, but I actually took a pen and wrapped some steel whool around the tip. Then, I wrapped some electrical tape around it to keep it in place as well as squeezing the tip of the whool to where it was more fine of a point. I noticed if you leave some steel whool long enough to where your fingers touch it, it actually works better.