Can emails be sent from a locked screen?

Lyphe 416

Dec 15, 2020
Visit site
I was under the impression that we could use 'hey google' to unlock the phone and send gmails ... but whenever I try and do this, it asks me to unlock the phone first with my fingerprint.

Texts are no problem, but emails are. I've got the option toggled on under 'lock screen' in 'assistant settings' to allow responses from the lock screen. I also have 'personal results' toggled on.

My phone is a Pixel 6 Pro.

Ty if you can help.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually a bit surprised that SMS works from a screen off condition. Personally I've never been able to get my device to unlock by voice alone even though I've checked the box several times saying this was something that I wanted.

In the meantime Assistant is a powerful tool but sometimes it is all in how you phrase the request. For instance if you say, remind me to start dinner at 17:00, it will remind you but it will not add it to your calendar unless you say, add a reminder to my calendar to start.... The other thing to consider is some actions require input and may force you to unlock before it completes a task. I did a quick search and found phrasing that will cause Assistant to send emails but none that allow this from a locked device so it just may be out of its realm of possibility or it may be seen as a security thing. Google has been and continues to talk about how much they value privacy and security, while at the same time collecting as much data on us as it can. Sorry got a little off track there....

Anyway, it may also be a case of multiple accounts. If your contact is someone you only message from a secondary Gmail account or a non-Gmail account Assistant may not know what to do with the request. I suppose you could try to be more specific, send an email from my xxx@aol account to Peter G. subject time to get off the sofa, message get off the sofa.