Can I make my phone beep when I receive a text?

cinque8

Feb 16, 2018
Visit site
Hello,

I have an Anroid 11 cell phone.

Is there a way to make my phone beep when I receive a text message?

Thank you

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
What phone do you have?

What app do you use for texts?

And, are you taking about regular SMS texts?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You should be able to set any kind of notification you want when you receive a text. Go to Settings>Apps, select your messaging app, then Notifications, and set it there.

Reactions: cinque8

cinque8

Feb 16, 2018
Visit site
B.Diddy,

I went to Notifications in Settings, I attached the options that are available on my Android 11 phone.

Thank you.

Attachments

• notifications (1).jpg
    notifications (1).jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 12
  • notifications (2).jpg
    notifications (2).jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 12

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Click on advanced. There should be a section for notification sounds.

Otherwise if you are using Google Messages open the app. Click on your icon top right, select message settings under this option should be notifications and you can set the sound in there.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
B.Diddy,

I went to Notifications in Settings, I attached the options that are available on my Android 11 phone.

Thank you.
The important thing to remember is to tap on the words of the notification category you want to modify, not the toggle. That will usually bring up another menu where you can customize the notification tone.

cinque8

Feb 16, 2018
Visit site
Hello B. Diddy,

I have a OnePlus Nord 10 Android 11 phone. T-Mobile is my carrier.

I was not able to make the phone make a sound when I received a text message.
So I went to two different T-Mobile stores, and had two different technicians look at the phone. They were able to make the phone make a sound when I received a pop-up message, but not when I received a text message. They said that, that feature was not available on my phone.

But thank you for the information !

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That doesn't sound right to me. It should be a basic function of a messaging app on the phone to make an audible notification tone when you receive a message. The one main exception (apart from being on Do Not Disturb) would be if you have the messaging app open to that conversation thread -- most messaging apps don't give an audible notification in this situation, because it's assumed you're actually looking at the thread and the new message as it arrives.

cinque8

Feb 16, 2018
Visit site
OK, I just sent an email to the Messages app developers to see what they have to say.

APP-DEVELOPER.jpg

cinque8

Feb 16, 2018
Visit site
Hey B. Diddy

I don't know if it was Devine Internvention, or what happened, but because of another problem that I was having with my phone, I had to reset the phone, but not a factory reset.

Now, when i receive a text, or an email, or a pop-up, the phone makes a sound.

Apparently, the two guys that I ran into at the T-Mobile stores didn't know what they were talking about.

Please mark this one solved!

Thank you.

Madd62

Mr. Wonderful
May 31, 2021
Visit site
You may also have extra volume sliders for Media / calls / alarms if you tap on the top of the volume slider you see when you press a volume button.
The Settings reset may have changed them.

This may not apply to yours but Oneplus is fairly similar to mine.

Just a thought (probably my final one this year!)

Madd62

Mr. Wonderful
May 31, 2021
Visit site
That's kinda cryptic.🤔 Are you going on sabbatical somewhere?
Lol. Yeh.

Didn't spot that I sounded as though my spaceship is finally coming back for me (it will some day! ) 🙄

My final clever thought for the year, then?

(... as I've now hit my annual quota of three - and the other two were really stupid)

I guess all phones have separated volume sliders though.

Where's my exit door?
😎 🚪 🤓