Can I tell my Pixel 6 to take a photo?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I love my new Pixel 6 Pro, but it seems that I took for granted something that my Samsung phones could do for years: Say "Capture" or "Shoot" and have the camera instantly snap a pic.

I understand that I can say "Hey Google, take a photo," but not only is that enormously tedious, but at home, my Google Home hubs intervene and the whole thing becomes comical.

I have really come to love my one-word command to snap a pic and would be enormously disappointed to have to downgrade from this as I upgrade to my Pixel.

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I love my new Pixel 6 Pro, but it seems that I took for granted something that my Samsung phones could do for years: Say "Capture" or "Shoot" and have the camera instantly snap a pic.

I understand that I can say "Hey Google, take a photo," but not only is that enormously tedious, but at home, my Google Home hubs intervene and the whole thing becomes comical.

I have really come to love my one-word command to snap a pic and would be enormously disappointed to have to downgrade from this as I upgrade to my Pixel.

i thought 'kimchee' shutter was broken on my pixel 6 until i realized that was a LG feature not on the google phone. sad.

Beachboy63

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site

My LG G2 would do that and my S21U will also take a picture when I say "cheese" or "shoot" or a few other words. It's a helpful feature. I can also tell Google to take a picture and my S21U will do it but my Pixel 6 Pro will not. I assumed I could say "hey, Google.... take a picture" and it would work on my P6P but nothing. Are you able to make it work? Perhaps it's a setting in the pixel camera app or in Google assistant but I can't seem to find it.

mrpackerguy

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
on my 3XL you can squeeze the bottom 1/2 of the phone on the sides to activate goggle assistant then simply say "take a picture" or "Take a selfie"

Beachboy63

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
on my 3XL you can squeeze the bottom 1/2 of the phone on the sides to activate goggle assistant then simply say "take a picture" or "Take a selfie"
I'm able to activate Google assistant with my phone app open. But when I say "take a picture" nothing happens. When I do the same with my S21U, it takes a picture.

Blaize19

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
So I just tried this on my P6P. From my home screen (camera app not open) I activated the assistant and said, "Take a selfie." The camera app opened, gave me a 3-2-1 countdown and took a selfie. Same when I asked it to take a picture.

I did not try it with the camera app open.

I use the Tap on Back gesture to activate the assistant, not "Hey Google", fwiw.

Beachboy63

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
So I just tried this on my P6P. From my home screen (camera app not open) I activated the assistant and said, "Take a selfie." The camera app opened, gave me a 3-2-1 countdown and took a selfie. Same when I asked it to take a picture.

I did not try it with the camera app open.

I use the Tap on Back gesture to activate the assistant, not "Hey Google", fwiw.
I just tried doing the same on my P6P without opening the camera app. Said "hey Google" from my home screen. Google opened and asked for a command. I said take a picture/selfie. My command scrolled across the bottom of my screen but nothing happened. It wouldn't take a picture or a selfie. Very strange.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
I just tried doing the same on my P6P without opening the camera app. Said "hey Google" from my home screen. Google opened and asked for a command. I said take a picture/selfie. My command scrolled across the bottom of my screen but nothing happened. It wouldn't take a picture or a selfie. Very strange.
I just tried doing both while in Tapatalk reading this thread. Both worked with the countdown showing. Very nice.
Make sure you gave Assistant permission to access the camera ( just a thought).

Beachboy63

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
I just tried doing both while in Tapatalk reading this thread. Both worked with the countdown showing. Very nice.
Make sure you gave Assistant permission to access the camera ( just a thought).
So I restarted my P6P and it works now. Should have tried that to begin with. I'm a dope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali